Lamping foxes

supergame

Just of late I've been trying to catch up with a fox or two on our shoot. I've tried various times up to about midnight,but hav't seen a thing. In previous years I hav'nt had any problem finding them but this lot are taking the p. I've also left several breasted duck and pigeon out for them which they take on most nights. Any suggestions on how I might catch up with it and what times they might be at there most active.

Most of our foxes are taken on lamping forays. However some foxes on our estate are taken either at dawn or at dusk. Usually taken whilst out deer stalking.

If you have an idea which woods the foxes are laying up in then highseats could be erected to cover paths and rides.

Have you got access to terriers, if so try all your known earths.

Possibly organise a vermin shoot, as there is limited cover at this time of year.

Unfortunately, you'll have to put the manhours in to reap any reward.  When it comes to foxes there is no quick and easy solution. :(

Super G,

we had a similar problem on a local animal sanctuary of all places.  Mr Foxy was sneaking in and helping himself to their chickens etc around a large pond.  We baited them over a couple of nights and, on the third night, spent the whole night awake in a small hide built on a grain shed.  It was fairly windy but visibility was reasonable due to lights around the site.  Two foxes were shot at around 3am and, touch wood, since then the problem has disappeared.  Might just be a case of losing a little sleep to solve a big problem  :(

when we have a fox we can never get because we always get there at the wrong time we use a clock. we bait a certain place for about a week and when the fox is taking them every night we set the clock, you put a small clock into a bucket with a hole in the side you then place a bit of 15 pound fishing line around the battery and thread the other end through the hole and tie to the bait when the fox comes along he pulls the bait which pulls the battery out.which stops the clock.

Make sure the bucket is staked to the ground and that the battery comes out easily this may mean you may have to attach the clock to the opposite side of the bucket to the hole.

after a few nights you will normaly find a time when the fox is coming regulary you will normaly find its in about a 20 min period. Then you just go down with the lamp and your fox should be about somewhere.  :(  :D

I had a go at lamping foxes the other night after bunnie bashing. I had them  comming to about 75 yards by sucking on my teeth. But every time I put the lamp on they would stop and retreat. How do you guys "see" if the fox is getting near? (could't shoot as I only had the rimfire with me)

I've heard of a similar idea to the battery.  

When you know that a fox is taking your bait. Then on the night you wish to shoot your fox/es, attach fishing line to your bait which is connected to a fish bite detector. So when the bait is pulled, bleep, bleep, bleep!!. Ideal if your in a barn or outhouse.

It saves straining your eyes peering into the darkness.

NGhost

Like you I've had the same problem. So I may be stating the obvious, but have you tried putting the main lamp beam up into the air, allowing enough light to show the foxes eyes, but not to dazzle your fox.

If you get a vixen, burry her in a suitable place for you to shoot.But burry her well. we usually ask the farmer if it would be ok to put some blocks over her.When she starts to go "off" she will release her hormones. And every dog fox in the county will be coming to pay her a visit.

all the best Y.I.S

we had a couple of lamp shy foxes on our land last year we tried red filters wich didn't work beacase there are alot of people shoot on this paticular farm using red filters so we borrowed a blue filter of a friend and it worked a treat foxes didn't care about the light being on them and came right in. :(  :D

The only problem I've found using blue or green filters is that the eyes don't seem to shine back as well, so on the odd times that we need them we lamp with a white light and only put the filter on when we have spotted a fox. Normally we use a red or amber filter all of the time.

Lately we have been using a dimmer on our main lamp. It's surprising just how little light you need to be able to see eyes, great for anything that is at all lamp shy :(

Cranfield, most of the time a white light is a disadvantage when lamping foxes, unless they are young or naive.

The eyes of animals that have good night vision are not very sensitive to light at the red end of the spectrum. So by using a red light you are a lot less likely to spook your fox. Sometimes it is necessary to go to a white light to take the shot, if the fox is at extreme range or in cover or to confirm that it is a fox you are looking at.

Hi nghost after using a red filter on foxes i will never use a white light again they will sit and look straight at you.Me and a mate go out lamping approx 2 nights a week.We go on foot with a power pack and lamp,hard work but worth it.We can position ourselves better and go through hedges if we have to.