Field trial dogs

pigeon master

Hello all,

I was out last week and watched some field trials that accompanied our shoot.

Now I was very impressed with the way these dogs responded to commands but what I did notice was that these dogs seemed to have lost or never had the need to use their noses to find what they were trying to retrieve.

It seemed that they were over the top with commands and removing the instincts of what these dogs are about, is this what the high echelon of dog trainers are trying to achieve? A dog that turns left right sits and then farts on command at 200 yards but has lost the ability to use its nose with a bit of its own initiative.

Not sure what other views will be, or whether anyone has observed this also but I found it a shame that these dogs were totally reliant on their owners commands.

I'm not saying all these dogs are like this but I found out that some of these dogs have only been used with dummies most of the time.

The PM

I have seen the same as you PM.

I have also witnessed that when these dogs are allowed to relax they revert to 'normal' behaviour.

They are so well trained that the owner can turn off that particular aspect of the dogs behaviour for trials.

Bloody talented people.

LB :thumbs:

Happy that others have noticed, didnt know if it was just me or not.

Shame really as these dogs would be better in my eyes if they were let loose to do what they have been designed to do and thats search find and retrieve.

I think its a little over the top and much prefer a dog that hunts well even if its a little rough round the edges.

The PM

• 2 weeks later...

Problems also come from the ones that do the working tests using dummies first cos they dont move the handler tries to put the dog right on top of it.

On the field trials unless the bird is dead dead the handler cant be too sure where it it so surley must relay on the dog to some degree, but I know what you mean.

I have seen them get to the desired (commanded) spot only to find nothing and look to see what to do next as being totaly perplexed as to use their own initiative.

Nothing better to see the dog take a striong line from where you thought the bird was to disapear into some cover and return with the bird.

Trev

• 1 month later...

Gents

As to

these dogs seemed to have lost or never had the need to use their noses to find what they were trying to retrieve.
I absolutely disagree. I've made a point of attending three Lab Field Trials this season. I went as the Judges assistant so I was right up with the action. I'm a regular picker-up myself.

The prime intent in a Field Trial is to test the game finding ability of the dog, not the handlers; judges watch the performance on each retrieve, and will downgrade the marks for excessive handling. One of the great abilities that successful FT dogs have over the also rans is their ability at marking and remembering multiple falls.

PM said

I found out that some of these dogs have only been used with dummies most of the time
Then they aren't yet Trial dogs are they? Still learning their trade.

Country estate said

On the field trials unless the bird is dead dead the handler cant be too sure where it it so surley must relay on the dog to some degree,
Your'e partly right. In a trial the handler will be told by the judge which bird he wants retrieving and will give guidance as to where it is. If the instruction is "Pick the runner that fell in cover by the field gate, but not the dead bird lying 10 yards to the left" then the dog is cast off in the direction of the runner. If he brings the dead one back...bingo eliminated.

Also

Problems also come from the ones that do the working tests using dummies first cos they dont move the handler tries to put the dog right on top of it.
That's a shock! But where is the problem?

And

I have seen them get to the desired (commanded) spot only to find nothing and look to see what to do next as being totaly perplexed as to use their own initiative.
So what? The dog went to the spot, hunted round and couldn't find anything, it happens all the time on every shoot in the country. The dog knows that it must look for instruction and not ****** about. It's the follow on that counts. If another dog is sent and picks the bird, then the first dog is eliminated, but if subsequent dogs can't find it and the judges can't either then the conclusion is it ain't there.

I believe if you Doubting Thomas's attended a few more Trials and asked what was going on you'd perhaps get a different opinion of Trial dogs.

Edited by eugene molloy