RFD

killertune

Just after some help on this subject, I am lookingto buy a used 12g u/o and a few have will post to RFD, how much will theis cost on average and what is the process for doing this, do you need to ask your RFD if he will do this or is this something they all do? Do they normally take a handling change, and what happend to the form you fill out when buying a gun?

Thanks.... :good:

Just after some help on this subject, I am lookingto buy a used 12g u/o and a few have will post to RFD, how much will theis cost on average and what is the process for doing this, do you need to ask your RFD if he will do this or is this something they all do? Do they normally take a handling change, and what happend to the form you fill out when buying a gun?

Thanks.... :good:

Average cost is around £14 postage, RFD fees will vary from £25 to £35, the price usually depends whether you are a regular customer. Give the RFD address to the person that you are buying the gun from, he posts it to your RFD, you collect it, he fills in your SGC with the details, you notify your HQ of the transaction, done job.

Edit; Afterthought, you may have to pay the RFD fees both ends, i.e. sender and receiver, it's something to haggle with the seller!

Edited by bob300w

Is it posted through a licensed carrier and do they have safes in their vans etc?

Jim

Send it through the Post Office, but it must be sent 24 or 48 hour delivery so that it can be traced. 48hr is around £14, depending on weight.

Edit; I see where you are heading with this, no, they don't have safes, and no, I don't know why not.

Afterthought; The whole van is a safe, after all, it carries registered mail. And no, the postman does not need a SGC to deliver it.

Edited by bob300w

Cheers Bob,

I was actually reading another post and was going to start a new one asking these very questions. It is a very strange situation though, is it not whereupon a postman could conceivably have a score or more guns in his van on the way to an RFD? I suppose it must be the same when an RFD takes delivery of new stock from his supplier.

Jim

or, as in the case of when I brought my guns into the country, the deliveryman had 2 guns with no locks on the case in the back of a normal white deliver van....

if you want the full story, search for posts that I've started and you'll find one about my travels with guns.

Thanks

Rick

Several years back, when such niceties were legal, a dealer friend had an Uzi and 6,000 rounds of 9 mil delivered, the postman got no answer at the door, so he left them on the door step!

Cheers Bob,

I was actually reading another post and was going to start a new one asking these very questions. It is a very strange situation though, is it not whereupon a postman could conceivably have a score or more guns in his van on the way to an RFD? I suppose it must be the same when an RFD takes delivery of new stock from his supplier.

Jim

Suppliers also usually supply ammunition and powder etc, these are not legal to send through the postal system. They use a carrier licenced to carry explosives, such as TNT. (The carrier TNT, not the explosive TNT). So they tend to use the same carrier for gun deliveries because of the increased security.

Edited by bob300w

I used to work in shipping,and TNT wouldn't move any hazardous goods,let alone 1.3c.The licensing system you speak of involves the driver being trained specifically to move class 1 goods (it is a seperate module to other 'normal' haz goods)and the vehicle being fitted with some placards.You used to be able to get away with classing it as limited quantities,ie the amount were so small they didnt require any special measures but I dont know if that still applies.The vehicles aren't fitted with any sort of security device just to move guns.I had 3 guns collected last week on TNT and it was a normal 7.5 tonner.

I used to work in shipping,and TNT wouldn't move any hazardous goods,let alone 1.3c.The licensing system you speak of involves the driver being trained specifically to move class 1 goods (it is a seperate module to other 'normal' haz goods)and the vehicle being fitted with some placards.You used to be able to get away with classing it as limited quantities,ie the amount were so small they didnt require any special measures but I dont know if that still applies.The vehicles aren't fitted with any sort of security device just to move guns.I had 3 guns collected last week on TNT and it was a normal 7.5 tonner.

I think that you need upodating somewhat. TNT are ADR certified and deliver ammunition and powder. The licence that you refer to is not a licence, to give it it's full title, it's an; "ADR-Vocational Training Certificate for drivers of vehicles carrying dangerous goods". It involve drivers sitting in a classroom for three days listening to the regulations relating to the Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (CDGR) both in the UK and Europe (ADR). At the end a question paper is completed, you may have your course notes with you, and of the 20 that sat it on the day that I did, the only one to fail was one who failed to turn up.

As an RFD who regularly sends and collects I observe the following:

The Post Office / Parcel Force both prohibit sending dangerous goods ( including guns. parts and ammunition) unless you are an account holder with an agreement. If a domestic customer sends via the PO you are in breach of their restrictions and would not get any compensation if the delivery went wrong.

You do not need two RFD's, as the receiving RFD is legally allowed to arrange "carriage forward". ie, the destination RFD can arrange for the goods to be collected from you by secure carrier, and delivered to themselves.

As Bob notes, the preferred choice is TNT, who have an agreement with the GTA ( Gun trade association) and transport guns / parts / amo - although guns and amo must not go in the same consignment.

Anyone who requires RFD collection or delivery services in the Surrey / Sussex / Kent areas ( I'm on the borders of all three at Gatwick), please feel free to contact me

I can also arrange collections / deliveries and sales at any of the venues I trade at, ie Bisley, ATR Pirbright and the gamefairs / county shows listed on my home page at www.####.co.uk