wheat cut

bignoel

the farmer cut his wheat saturday no sign of pigeon's i noticed that a feild of old stubble has quite a gathering do they prefer old cut feilds to fresh cut feilds .bad day on fresh cut 9 woodies 5 rooks ..

I think that part of the problem is that all of the wheat is cut at the same time and there is a large choice of fields, disturb them on one field and they simply use another. It's the same down here, there are no large flocks either, flocks of 10-15's are the average.

In my experience they usually need a day or two to switch onto the fresh stubbles then after a couple of days feeding move on to fresh stubbles. That said a lot depends on how much has been cut & how bad they are disturbed. Around here its mainly rape stubbles with the odd field of barley cut. Can only think of one wheat stubble.

Given the current and forcasted weather the shooting this year should be spaced out instead of the usual rushed period.