knife from scratch

pauldr

have made some knifes b4 but have always got the knife blade done for me ...

had enough of that so im making it myself from scratch

i am using 4ml thick carbon steel ( same steel as fatty mears use,s on his knifes i havnt finished it yet but its coming along

post-12012-1219143607.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have made some knifes b4 but have always got the knife blade done for me ...

had enough of that so im making it myself from scratch

i am using 4ml thick carbon steel same steel as fatty mears use,s on his knifes i havnt finished it yet but its coming along

post-12012-1219143698.jpg

You certainly have some patience, looking forward to the finished article.

just finished heat treating it ,, made a small fire let it burn down to charcoal put the knife in and fan,d it solid till it was done then put it in boiling hot salt water and left to cool ... im about to wrapp it in foil and chuck it in the oven for 1hr

post-12012-1219159626.jpg

Quenching in oil will actually blue the metal I think... I remember making some barbecue utensils back in school and we heated them up red hot and quenched in old engine oil. It leaves quite a good blued finish to prevent rusting etc.

cool i might try that on my air rifle

cool i might try that on my air rifle

Not really my area of expertise but I wouldn't advise hot bluing a gun, heating it up that hot could change the barrel's properties, or warp it! You can get some cold bluing chemical kits for gun barrels, although I don't know how good you can get the finish using a DIY kit.

What temp do you put the oven on? I made a knife blade but it bent when I quenched it :lol: So I've got another blade that I'm making in the shed, I'm just not sure on the tempering.

Thank's in advanced.

after you have heated the knife dont put it directly in cold water this will bend or break the steel , i boiled the water then added loads of salt put the knife in then let cool till i could handle the knife then wrap the knife in tin foil and put it in the oven for aprox 1 hr .. my oven is on 300f

What temp do you put the oven on? I made a knife blade but it bent when I quenched it :lol: So I've got another blade that I'm making in the shed, I'm just not sure on the tempering.

Thank's in advanced.

after you have heated the knife dont put it directly in cold water this will bend or break the steel , i boiled the water then added loads of salt put the knife in then let cool till i could handle the knife then wrap the knife in tin foil and put it in the oven for aprox 1 hr .. my oven is on 300f

I wasn't using water I was using old engine oil instead, I put the blade in at an angle by accident so one side cooled faster than the other, making it bend. Thanks anyway. Just wondering are you making a sheath for it? I wan't to for mine but the only place I can find suitable leather it's in a whole shoulder and costs 40 quid, and I only wan't a little bit.

Thank's in advanced.

I wasn't using water I was using old engine oil instead, I put the blade in at an angle by accident so one side cooled faster than the other, making it bend. Thanks anyway. Just wondering are you making a sheath for it? I wan't to for mine but the only place I can find suitable leather it's in a whole shoulder and costs 40 quid, and I only wan't a little bit.

HDF, Try this website for leather http://www.attacc.com/acatalog/NEEDLES__TH...___LEATHER.html

Nice job on the knife so far btw, can't wait for pics of the finished article

sjk

Thank's in advanced.

HDF, Try this website for leather http://www.attacc.com/acatalog/NEEDLES__TH...___LEATHER.html

Nice job on the knife so far btw, can't wait for pics of the finished article

sjk

Thanks sjk88