knife from scratch

pauldr

Pardon my stupidity, but why do you go through the whole process of heating the blade? is it to give it more strength??

Looks brilliant btw :o

it hardens the steel and makes the edge last longer so you dont have to keep sharpening it

almost done now

i have to shape the handle put the rivets in , polish blade / handle , i am using rowan wood as the handle wood

post-12012-1219658133.jpg

post-12012-1219658154.jpg

Edited by pauldr

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardon my stupidity, but why do you go through the whole process of heating the blade? is it to give it more strength??

Looks brilliant btw :good:

it hardens the steel and makes the edge last longer so you dont have to keep sharpening it

almost done now

i have to shape the handle put the rivets in , polish blade / handle , i am using rowan wood as the handle wood

right all i have to do now is sand / oil the wood down ,polish blade add leather strap and jobs a gooden

post-12012-1219682613.jpg

post-12012-1219682631.jpg

been making my second knife today. up until dinner time that is. then had to go the the hospital for my hand stiching up.

but the knife is sharp.

5 before anyone asks.

pauldr it looks very good mate , well done. :good:

hows the knife .. the blood didnt stain it did it :good:

the next knife i make im gonna use the same bushcraft desighn but im gonna use 3mm steel instead of 4mm and im thinking of putting a gut hook on the front and taking the file work right round the blade .. might sell it ..any takers ??

Looks good, I've made a couple knives before.

What are you going to use on the handles?

i was thinking lime with black fibre liners or maybee walnut or oak ..

Have you seen this pair of knives i made ?

http://www.internetgunclub.com/phpBB/viewt...44&forum=38

and this ?

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=64010

Wabbit

im thinking of putting a gut hook on the next knife i make .. im going to be using 3 mm carbon steel instead of 4mm and it will have a ebony handle with red fibre liners .. i will be selling this knife once its made... prob about 2-3 weeks as i like to take my time and get it spot on ... any takers ? i will be selling it for around £50 ....

im thinking of putting a gut hook on the next knife i make .. im going to be using 3 mm carbon steel instead of 4mm and it will have a ebony handle with red fibre liners .. i will be selling this knife once its made... prob about 2-3 weeks as i like to take my time and get it spot on ... any takers ? i will be selling it for around £50 ....

I wasnt trying to hijack your thread

I thought you might like to see one made with a gut hook to order to see what it would look like

WB