Best pellets for rabbit shooting

Elmer_fudd68

Ratcatcher for rabbits ?

And why not?

I think a lot of people think that if your air weapon isn't running

12 ft lbs you shouldn't be hunting.

I would say to said group of people,

"You stand 40 yards over there and I'll shoot you in the head with this Ratcatcher"

12 ft lbs will take out rabbits with headshots at over 60 yards,

a Ratcatcher running 9ft lbs will easily take out rabbits with headshots at 40 yards and below.

• 1 year later...

I have had BSA Supersport .22 for the last 16 years and it has never let me down on rabbits or hares come to think of it, I have had to replace the main spring in it a couple of times and the best i have found is a OX spring, it has lasted the longest as its been in it for well over 7 years and still going strong. I know a lot of ppl don’t like the ox spring range but i can only go on my experience.

As far as what pellets to use i always use a pointed pellet as it seems to make a better head shot from a long range.

My BSA is about mid range within the current air rifles out there now of which i think it’s a great buy as you can still get them new for around the £110 mark but i would say with any rifle is if you need to get the best scope you can afford as after all its the scope that will keep you on target..

RWS, AA Fields and the ilk are too soft in .177 calibre running at 12ft/lb or under in my humble opinion.. I was having runner after runner using these I then switched to Crosman Premier Magnums and got kill after kill reliably, they're a harder pellet and take a lot to deform, the RWS & AA's you can **** in the general direction of and the skirts go all wobbly, or even just talk nasty to 'em and they go all floppy. I just don't think they penetrate with enough clout to turn off bunnies thinking switch.

I have since gone over to Accupells, which are just like mini versions of the Premier Magnums, and they give a nice flat trajectory out to 40 yards and kill just like the magnums do. A big :good: from me for the Accupells. I love 'em.

You however are running with a .22 calibre rifle and I'd say that they'd be worth trying as the .22 gives a bigger thump at the other end.

Edited by mick miller

• 4 months later...

I use a Weirauch HW100 and HW90.

I've compared RWS superdomes and Webley mosquito's. The Mozzie's are far more accourate and group within a quater of an inch at 30 yards.

The AA fields look very similar but I haven't tried them yet.

When I bought the HW100 second hand it came with some H&N Field target trophies. These were spot on and I've seen them highly rated by many other people.

I will be trying these next.

I'd agree. A good scope is essential. It doesn't need to be any more than 3 or 4 X, but a large front end will help at dusk. A fifty mm is ideal. i use a 3-12x56.

The Nikko Sterling Nighteater are an excellent value for money scope and the nighteater has the best optics of the range.

Clarity is what you're after.

Also check the mounts. If the scope moves it won't remain accurate.

Hope that helps

All the best

Tim.

PS a head shot should kill; just behind the eye. :good:

You might want to try a pellet pack if your interested in checking how different brands of pellets group with your rifle. I'd say the most accurate pellet will give you the best results provided it drops rabbits cleanly - usually hunter pellets or dome heads

Id agree with that. Workout what pellet works best in your gun, and if you can accurately hit a 1inch target when practising then you`ll hit that bunny!