Best pellets for rabbit shooting

Elmer_fudd68

Hi all...

I must say... I do tend to agree with Saggy61..... Before spending a lorra lorra dosh on a Daystate X2 sport .22cal PCP i'd always used a standard Weihrauch HW77 for hunting with .22cal with RWS Superpoints.... and because of the nature of the land where we hunted (mostly open field with some hedges) our stalking (on a good day!) usually only got us to between 45 & 55 yds at best before they spooked.., but I can honestly say I never shot at anything that did'nt drop.

I always went for headshots (naturally).., but I had success with shots that have been off in the wind and hit home in the neck.

I'm not sure it matters what ammo you use.., pointed or flathead.... Obviously the pointed pellets will have better penetration power... but with bunnies... it's usually the "Impact shock" that kills, so the shock a flathead delivers over it's impact surface area is greater than that of a pointed pellet.

There is of course, the new breed of airgun ammo....

14.5 grain in weight made of an alloy metal with a hollow-point style head.

I've been experimenting with these and have found that they produce a louder muzzle crack and are VERY accurate.

after zeroing my rifle in at 40 mtrs with Bisley Magnum (roundheads) obtaining a 1.5cm grouping..... The alloy type were hitting the target 2.5cm higher!!... AND making a hell of a splash in the sand trap at the back of the range!

I can't wait to get out there and try them out on a field test.... see how well they fair against a bit of wind and rain etc... but for impact AND penetration..... I think they'd be difficult to beat... for airguns, that is!

Hope this helps mate.

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by Plumbz

Hi

Can anyone give advice as to the best pellets for shooting rabbits?

I'm using a Crossman ratcatcher .22 air rifle with some success on a local farm, but don't always get an instant kill.

Always go for a headshot.

If anyone has any suggestions i'd be grateful

Thanks

:yp:

I have just come home from my first lamping session with my .177 Daystate Airwolf. I killed 2 rabbits with 1 shot used to kill each. They were dispatched with minimal fuss and both were killed with body shots. I used Bisley Magnums and my gun is set at 11.9 using the Bisley Magnums.

The gun and the pellets worked excellently, so I have no qualms recommending either of them.

Daystate Airwolf MVT

Bisley Magnums .177 10.6 grains.

Hi

Can anyone give advice as to the best pellets for shooting rabbits?

I'm using a Crossman ratcatcher .22 air rifle with some success on a local farm, but don't always get an instant kill.

Always go for a headshot.

If anyone has any suggestions i'd be grateful

Thanks

:good:

a rat catcher puts out around 8ft/lb which is not enough for hunting bunnys

i do have a nice mk6 airsporter £90 posted

which is more than capable of shooting bunnys

RWS, AA Fields and the ilk are too soft in .177 calibre running at 12ft/lb or under in my humble opinion.. I was having runner after runner using these I then switched to Crosman Premier Magnums and got kill after kill reliably, they're a harder pellet and take a lot to deform, the RWS & AA's you can **** in the general direction of and the skirts go all wobbly, or even just talk nasty to 'em and they go all floppy. I just don't think they penetrate with enough clout to turn off bunnies thinking switch.

I have since gone over to Accupells, which are just like mini versions of the Premier Magnums, and they give a nice flat trajectory out to 40 yards and kill just like the magnums do. A big :good: from me for the Accupells. I love 'em.

You however are running with a .22 calibre rifle and I'd say that they'd be worth trying as the .22 gives a bigger thump at the other end.

I like the AA Field in my 22 i was advised by alot of people to use these in my cometa a very consistant pellet in 22

And why not?

I think a lot of people think that if your air weapon isn't running

12 ft lbs you shouldn't be hunting.

I would say to said group of people,

"You stand 40 yards over there and I'll shoot you in the head with this Ratcatcher"

12 ft lbs will take out rabbits with headshots at over 60 yards,

a Ratcatcher running 9ft lbs will easily take out rabbits with headshots at 40 yards and below.

I asked because to me It doesn't seem the best tool for the job.

Agreed it doesn't need 12ftb & each to thier own.

I wouldn't recomend one though a a rabbiting gun.

I have just come home from my first lamping session with my .177 Daystate Airwolf. I killed 2 rabbits with 1 shot used to kill each. They were dispatched with minimal fuss and both were killed with body shots. I used Bisley Magnums and my gun is set at 11.9 using the Bisley Magnums.

The gun and the pellets worked excellently, so I have no qualms recommending either of them.

Daystate Airwolf MVT

Bisley Magnums .177 10.6 grains.

Wow Body shots and one shot one kill. what range was this at?

Pretty impressive for a .177.

/s/

hmmm... in .22 it's got to be the BSA Interceptor at 15.3gr for me, down any rifle you give me (tho I have found ONE rifle that just don't like them - my match-configured S2, which would only shoot RWS Hobby with any kind of consistency), for large bunnies/hares I tend to move up to the 16.5/21gr Logun Penetrators. In .177, I'm torn... I don't like rabbitting with .177 because my .177 gear is just too zippy. Logun Penetrator 9.0gr is OK though it does tend to overpenetrate on headshots even with those through my Stingray. I tend to stick to birds with the .177 and for that I go with light and fast: Crosman CO2 jacketed.

If Piledrivers weren't so damned expensive I'd go with those in .177 if I had to take a .177 rabbitting, if only to get the feel as if I were actually shooting a .22 and seeing similar reactions at the impact end...

One thing to consider is that generally springers will perform better with a lighter pellet, whereas pcp's will prefer a heavier pellet - hence why many pcps do well with Bis Mags. Until recently I've been using AA fields at 15.9g but have now switched to Defients 5.55 at 14g. The give a faster, flatter flight and therefore easier to hit the head at 30 -35 yds. I foung the AA fields good, but give a loopier flight