.22 or 17? Graphic

Evilv

think its dead? lol

nice gun :good:

bit silly but did it so the old rabbit death kick?

stuart

Well surprisingly there were a couple of kicks from it inspite of the fact that it had no skull at all and no brain. All that was left of the head was the skin and ears, which flopped like a glove as I picked it up. I have seen many such kicking corpses with no central nervous system left at all. There are reflexes controlled by the spinal chord so you would expect to see a decapitated rabbit kicking as well. It is a well known phenomenon in chickens and other birds.

I really like the gun from a shooting and appearance point of view, but it has an occasional 'fit' and doesn't extract maybe 5% of the cases. It is still new with only 200 rounds through it so I'm hoping it eases up in the chamber department. I have registered the issue with the seller who is happy to rectify matters. I'll put another couple of hundred through it and see how she goes.

Great photo ;)

I wondered if it might be a bit gory, but thanks. I used a phone camera which is not very good.

Evilv are you likeing the 17hmr then :hmm: is the 22 getting much use since the 17 arrived .Nice picture :yes:

I take the CZ with me sometimes too, but to be honest, I've hardly used it much since I picked up the Winchester HMR. It is very light, about five and a half pounds and pretty handy. The accuracy is astonishing, even with a really poor scope on it. It's an old air rifle scope I had, a Nikko Sterling silver 4x32. Certainly not ideal for distance work, but I am regularly knocking off rabbits at well over a hundred yards even so. I like the point and shoot with no hold over. The other day I had one at around 150 yards out of the car window on a farm track. Just wound it down, rested it on the window sill, blocked the front half of the rabbit out with the cross on the scope, raised it a tad and squeezed. It fell over instantly still and the sound of the thwack, came back about a second later. I just couldn't believe it. With the .22, I'd have been a foot or more above the target and it would have been an unethical thing to even try and shoot a live animal like that, because to be honest, I could as well have shot it in the foot or the ear there'd be so much guesswork at such a range. Look at that photo up top - there is no skull at all. The skin of the head was completely floppy like a glove. All the structural stuff was gone. That one was an eighty yarder.

Edited by Evilv

OK the .17HMR is an awsome caliber for RECRIATIONAL use. using a rifle every day and you start to see that the .22lr is better. i have one rifle set up with supersonic rounds and i can confidently shoot out to 400 yds even with the subsonic i can shoot out to 300 yds. However if iam shooting at 500+yds i would use a .22-250 every time, though with deer i use either a .270 or a.303 or a .308 they all do the job if you put them inthe right place the .303 is especially good for foxes. Though when shootingmuntjack with the .22-250 i have literally taken the entire head off the neck. You use whats nearest to hand and leagal

Japrite

OK the .17HMR is an awsome caliber for RECRIATIONAL use. using a rifle every day and you start to see that the .22lr is better. i have one rifle set up with supersonic rounds and i can confidently shoot out to 400 yds even with the subsonic i can shoot out to 300 yds. However if iam shooting at 500+yds i would use a .22-250 every time, though with deer i use either a .270 or a.303 or a .308 they all do the job if you put them inthe right place the .303 is especially good for foxes. Though when shootingmuntjack with the .22-250 i have literally taken the entire head off the neck. You use whats nearest to hand and leagal

Japrite

you like a drink then.

Japrite

You obviously attended the British Army sniper school prior to sporting shooting?

500 yard shots need one hell of a lot of land to ensure safety, and you are lucky to get if you have a .303 condition for fox.

Regards starlight32

Japrite

:yes::hmm:

I'm lost for words. Enough BS here to fill a swimming pool.

ZB

Japrite

you like a drink then.

Yeah and then he takes the cans out and shoots at them from four hundred with a twenty-six and a half foot holdover which he calculates of course, since no scope adjustment could manage to do that. When you use a .22LR every day, you can do that, just like you can kill a fox with a catapult.

Edited by Evilv

Coff coff...

Could be a coincidence, two people from the UK posting on shooting forums as JAPRITE, but then again...

Posted last month..

and,

Look at post 29

I do like the bit about using a belt fed machine gun - do you use those to shoot treestumps at 8000 yards?

Either there is an insane kn0bber using the exact same name as you or you are full of it.

Actually I still think you are full of it either way.

ZB

Those 'home invasion' paranoia scenarios we see in America make me laugh, I have to say. Still, it's a different world to ours I suppose

It was more Japsh**e's comments about either mowing the invaders down with a machine gun or lieing in wait with a tommy gun and using their screams to guide him which amused me.

Pure muppetry!

ZB

Japrite

********E

Japrite

********E

That one has to make me chuckle :good::yes:

Big soz to Evilv for the derailment btw.

That is some pretty scary damage in your pic. The potential for massive meat damage (and ammo cost relative to 22lr) puts me off the HMR slightly.

I have a slot for one on my ticket but so far I havent required more than a .22lr can offer (within actual 22 ranges, not made up bullschizzle ones :good: ).

ZB

Big soz to Evilv for the derailment btw.

That is some pretty scary damage in your pic. The potential for massive meat damage (and ammo cost relative to 22lr) puts me off the HMR slightly.

I have a slot for one on my ticket but so far I havent required more than a .22lr can offer (within actual 22 ranges, not made up bullschizzle ones :good: ).

ZB

You are right about the meat damage, but at the moment I am having a lot of fun shooting hundred yard rabbits with no holdover and the odd 150 yard one with the smallest touch of hold over. I literally just have to raise the cross a tad and they fall over dead.

The essential thing is not to allow the bullet to pass through the animal's gut or it is full of **** from end to end. 22WMR does the same thing as I recall from when I had one of those, but the HMR is a more accurate round at the same kind of price.

No problem about derailing - these are conversations not lectures as far as I am concerned.

Edited by Evilv

Japrite

mate super sonic round would be **** at that range you would have to aim a silly way off to hit at that range to reach :stupid: and subs to 300 yards what holdover is this !

what bullets you using in the 22/250 to get the 500 yards ! and what twist rate is the barrel :rolleyes:

Edited by jamie g

You know what i would do for home defence? (if i lived in a world where tommy guns and belt fed's were readily availiable)

Get a cross fire over the front lawn with a couple of claymores hidden in gnomes or something, get some incendaries under the path, at say, 2m intervals.

Then put a removable section of wall where i can place double remote control AK-47's and then a small hole in the wall for a PERSUADER 500 semi-auto shotgun.

Then behind the door, me with an M16 assault rifle with a 203 grenade launcher shoved on the underside. Body armour and a smoke piercing maglite and red dot lazer, fully zeroed at 10 yards and possibly a few frags and flashbangs. :stupid:

In the real world, 12g o/u is the most i think ill ever have... unless i move to kazakstan... where the above may just be practable. :hmm::drool::drool:

Thats sommat to make you sleep safe at night eh?

You know what i would do for home defence? (if i lived in a world where tommy guns and belt fed's were readily availiable)

Get a cross fire over the front lawn with a couple of claymores hidden in gnomes or something, get some incendaries under the path, at say, 2m intervals.

Then put a removable section of wall where i can place double remote control AK-47's and then a small hole in the wall for a PERSUADER 500 semi-auto shotgun.

Then behind the door, me with an M16 assault rifle with a 203 grenade launcher shoved on the underside. Body armour and a smoke piercing maglite and red dot lazer, fully zeroed at 10 yards and possibly a few frags and flashbangs. :good:

In the real world, 12g o/u is the most i think ill ever have... unless i move to kazakstan... where the above may just be practable. :good::good: :look:

Thats sommat to make you sleep safe at night eh?

That a well thought out plan :oops::yes: but wots this got to do with shooting rabbits with an HMR?? :yes::oops: (excuse me if im missing the point anywhere)