.22 or 17? Graphic

Evilv

Two For The Price of One

Funny thing happened today in the pouring rain. I spotted a rabbit about eighty yards off, drew a bead on it and two rolled over to my surprise. If you look at the top rabbit, the brains of the bottom one are all over his neck. I doubt he was killed by the brains though, but probably by the bullet fragments that came through his mate.

Click Me

Foul weather up here today, constant rain. Having taken a hot shower and changed into dry clothes, I have the Winchester drying slowly beside a radiator and am just about to have a cup of tea and a couple of Tracker Bars.

These pictures have just made my mind for me . . . . . . . . If i manage to get my FAC it will be .22rf that i get . the 17 just looks like over kill for me !

Also the one bunny in the second picture 4th in from the left looks like its been shot through the jaw. The damage done by the 17HMR must make for a messy game bag to ! :stupid:

These pictures have just made my mind for me . . . . . . . . If i manage to get my FAC it will be .22rf that i get . the 17 just looks like over kill for me !

Also the one bunny in the second picture 4th in from the left looks like its been shot through the jaw. The damage done by the 17HMR must make for a messy game bag to ! :stupid:

I think it all depends on you permissions. For me, .22lr is doing everything I want to do. Thats not to say that I wouldnt mind a nice .17HMR CZ American.....

ZB

Every one of them was dead before they knew what happened. They were all head shot at between 80 and 100 yards or more. Try that with a .22LR and see what happens. One thing you'll realise when you've compared them is that the HMR is much more lethal and much easier to shoot well and much less likely to bounce off the ground at a random angle and hit a cow in the face. These are just differences that you will discover for yourself. I love my CZ425 in .22LR, but it's a very different kind of rifle and you need to use it in a different way.

Edited by Evilv

OK the .17HMR is an awsome caliber for RECRIATIONAL use. using a rifle every day and you start to see that the .22lr is better. i have one rifle set up with supersonic rounds and i can confidently shoot out to 400 yds even with the subsonic i can shoot out to 300 yds. However if iam shooting at 500+yds i would use a .22-250 every time, though with deer i use either a .270 or a.303 or a .308 they all do the job if you put them inthe right place the .303 is especially good for foxes. Though when shootingmuntjack with the .22-250 i have literally taken the entire head off the neck. You use whats nearest to hand and leagal

Japrite

You're havin' a laugh ain't you? We get some BS on here but this is pure gold!

Back on topic; I shoot a .17HMR for serious rabbit control and it constantly amazes me how accurate a killing machine it is. Yes noisy (compared to a .22 maybe) yes the ammo is more expensive (than .22) BUT the range, the accuracy and the fact that you can donk a number of bunnies quickly before they ever know what's going on make it my firm favourite. Zeroed at 100m I hardly bother with hold over/under as it just hits where you aim (within reasonable limits). I know it's argued on here many times which rifle is best for varmint shooting but in my book you can't beat the .17HMR, the best gun for the job by far.

much less likely to bounce off the ground at a random angle and hit a cow in the face.

Lol, that made me **** myself :stupid:

Well it's never happened to me yet, but in dry weather (we did have some this year in, was it July?) the .22LR was bouncing every other shot. You could hear them whizzing off in random directions, left right, up in the air. Only a matter of time before somebody gets one through their bedroom window, or up the jacksy while weeding, bent over in the garden. I shot two rabbits yesterday with the same shot from the HMR. It blew a great hole in one's head and splattered the other with its brains.

Picture

They were about two feet apart. Both fell instantly dead, but only one had a detectable hole in it. I reckon number two just copped tiny bullet splinters. In practice I have many times had loud ricochets with LR off the ground behind a rabbit that I have shot dead. Not splinters passing through and rapidly running out of steam, but full weight bullets whining off who knows where. You could hear them going for two seconds and more.

Edited by Evilv

firstley i love the gun its uber sweet :good: i have had a 17 now for 6 weeks and i have fired over 700 bullets in it and its gets a we bit exspensive even thou i dont pay for ammo i have been told to get a 22lr soon to save on bills but the hmr is one of the best things since sliced bread flat out to 120 from 20 drop of 5inch at 200 and will still kill a hare out at this range stunning we thing it is a bit pricy thou

firstley i love the gun its uber sweet :good: i have had a 17 now for 6 weeks and i have fired over 700 bullets in it and its gets a we bit exspensive even thou i dont pay for ammo i have been told to get a 22lr soon to save on bills but the hmr is one of the best things since sliced bread flat out to 120 from 20 drop of 5inch at 200 and will still kill a hare out at this range stunning we thing it is a bit pricy thou

Must be fun getting your ammo bought for you. You must be a gamekeeper I suppose.

Supply me with some free ammo and I'll drive over and help you for nothing.

:hmm:

Edited by Evilv

Must be fun getting your ammo bought for you. You must be a gamekeeper I suppose.

its not as good as it would seem shooting all time i am sick of the sight of a lamp and rifle i am sick of sneaking around after deer as sad as it may sound it just gets to be anuther thing you do we grow christmass trees hear so every thing that eats them inside the fence has to go deer hares rabbits quirrles if my boss sees a deer in the fence i get a earfull so i have to wack them we have a licence to shoot cormarants on the trout ponds but we can only shoot 5 of them when you have been up for 14 hours feeding 11,000 pheasants 3,000 patriges 3,00 ducks building relise pens takeing down the rearing field the last thing you want to do is chase rabbits and deer around the place or even worse take some one else out to do it

its not as good as it would seem shooting all time i am sick of the sight of a lamp and rifle i am sick of sneaking around after deer as sad as it may sound it just gets to be anuther thing you do we grow christmass trees hear so every thing that eats them inside the fence has to go deer hares rabbits quirrles if my boss sees a deer in the fence i get a earfull so i have to wack them we have a licence to shoot cormarants on the trout ponds but we can only shoot 5 of them when you have been up for 14 hours feeding 11,000 pheasants 3,000 patriges 3,00 ducks building relise pens takeing down the rearing field the last thing you want to do is chase rabbits and deer around the place or even worse take some one else out to do it

LOL - yes I can imagine - especially in the kind of weather we've been having lately. Crack on lad.... We'll all be dead soon enough. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

I think its only clear that you can take rabbits out at 100 yards with a .22 The .22 has more than enough power to do this , its up to the shooter to be able to consistantly put rounds down range within a 1inch. This obvously takes practice and an accurate rifle. Anshutz rifles consistantly perform to this level of accuracy. Fit one of those up with a decent silencer and scope and you will get more rabbits than you would any day with a 17HMR because the .22 is significantly quieter using subsonic ammo. The 17 may have the edge on range but what you gain in range you loose in stealth.

And any serious hunter knows stealth and the ability to take another shot or two before the quarry is spooked is worth more than a slight range advantage.

And thats not going anywhere the other aspects such as cost of ammo, and backdrop considerations...

I think its only clear that you can take rabbits out at 100 yards with a .22 The .22 has more than enough power to do this , its up to the shooter to be able to consistantly put rounds down range within a 1inch. This obvously takes practice and an accurate rifle. Anshutz rifles consistantly perform to this level of accuracy. Fit one of those up with a decent silencer and scope and you will get more rabbits than you would any day with a 17HMR because the .22 is significantly quieter using subsonic ammo. The 17 may have the edge on range but what you gain in range you loose in stealth.

And any serious hunter knows stealth and the ability to take another shot or two before the quarry is spooked is worth more than a slight range advantage.

And thats not going anywhere the other aspects such as cost of ammo, and backdrop considerations...

i disagree with that mate. sometimes i have shot rabbits with hmr and the others havent even moved. the noise is loud but as its a sharp smack in sound some of the rabbits dont no where its coming from and the just go about there thing.

where as with the 22lr i found you have more of the others running away. the wizz of the 22lr rounds as its subsonic seams to put them off more

i disagree with that mate. sometimes i have shot rabbits with hmr and the others havent even moved. the noise is loud but as its a sharp smack in sound some of the rabbits dont no where its coming from and the just go about there thing.

where as with the 22lr i found you have more of the others running away. the wizz of the 22lr rounds as its subsonic seams to put them off more

I had that for the first time the other day.

I shot at bunny about 40 or 50 yards away (But hit a branch which was overhanging) only to see his mate running towards me along the field line! He must have got as close as 20 yards before I pegged him.