Gutted

Very interesting read.

Two nights ago I spotted chewed wire going into our biggest pen, and the electric fence was down - tangled and earthed out. After 3 hours of messing about (back and fro to the yard for new industrial battery, shovels, tin snips, chicken wire etc) problem fixed, but not gone away if you know what I mean.

Cabelas digital trail cams are in their sale :good:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0057184418547a

$99

Sit up for the ****** mate, they'll be back!

The trail cams are good, mines put at least 4 foxes in the bag all ready. I'm annoyed cos mine was set up on another shoot capturing Muntjac movement.

SS

Very interesting read.

Two nights ago I spotted chewed wire going into our biggest pen, and the electric fence was down - tangled and earthed out. After 3 hours of messing about (back and fro to the yard for new industrial battery, shovels, tin snips, chicken wire etc) problem fixed, but not gone away if you know what I mean.

Cabelas digital trail cams are in their sale :yes:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0057184418547a

$99

If anyone is ordering these would they PM me please, I could do with one.

:good: D2D

Well done for sorting the problem out but .........Quote'The fox had managed to jump the electric fence & dig under the wire to our small holding/laying pen, the netted roof gave the birds no chance no.gif'

I can't understand that, how far was your electric fence from your pen, it should be around a foot out and 10 to 12 inches high, this makes landing in between and digging impossible without being electrocuted' also if you had buried the mesh and pegged it down a foot out, a digging fox will only find more mesh underground in the event of electric fence failure.

Don't take this post the wrong way as a very determined fox will get almost anywhere but as you are well aware of prevention is much better than cure and with these safety measures in place with a high enough fence (7feet at least) with a good overhang, 99% if these incidences will be avoided. A few snares around the pen will also pick up a circling fox just outside the electric fence. A good pen is hard work and costly but very rewarding to build and will save more money in the long term. I have never been a fan of roofed pens and much prefer to get them up to roost as soon as poss, a series of horizontal post from 18 inches right up into the branches works well for this by getting them up into the trees quickly preventing jugging. Hopefully make sure the pen is large enough and well sighted, so the roosting trees are far enough away from the fence ideally. just my thoughts..

it seems a dodgy year for foxes so far coupled with the slow harvest making lamping more difficult. I'm not too far down the road and we've had 5 cubs from 2 litters in the last two outings coupled with 2 others also shot round the main pens, just keep at it and keep in touch with the combine driver he will know what fields he's seen them on surprisingly sitting on the fields where they have been spotted the same evening has paid dividends for us but we have had up to 5 out of the same field its one of the "perks" of being not far from Luton with plenty of foxes heading out.

Tealer

I wouldn't take any constructive advice the wrong way :good:

Your bang on with the electric fence though, around one of the corners the wire is pegged out about 2ft, this has always bothered me but being a relative newcomer to the syndicate, even though i'm much more involved now, I've never said anything :yes:

I've set up the trail cam by the pegged bait, so we 'll see if there's anymore fox activity.

As for the other bait that Gary observed to be "well and truly chomped" he needs to improve his field craft....Crows, maggies & BOPs :lol:

SS

Had another sit up with SS last night... which ended with a blank.

We returned later that evening to see a pair of eyes in the distance under the lamp - but he wasn't hanging about :rolleyes:

One of the baits was taken overnight. So this morning the alarm clocks have been deployed, and SS sat up to try and ambush them...

We will wait and see what the trail cam and clocks show :stupid:

just as an aside and if you're having problems it may prove a short term fix but I've seen a syndicate that leaves a small radio on in the pen. Not sure how effective it is but may make Mr fox think twice about getting too close to the pen till you can get the critter.

just as an aside and if you're having problems it may prove a short term fix but I've seen a syndicate that leaves a small radio on in the pen. Not sure how effective it is but may make Mr fox think twice about getting too close to the pen till you can get the critter.

Another ploy,I know its after the horse...stable doors and all that, is everytime anyone needs to take a leak feel free to anoint as many posts as poss, I know of keepers who keep special "leaky" tins hung at strategic points around the pens.

Whether it works I dont know but logically you are playing him at his own game and scent marking.

Anything is worth a try to keep the bu**ers away.

:rolleyes: D2D

Word from SS who checked the clocks and trail cam this morning is... 22:10 seems to be around the time he/she pay's us a little "visit"...

Now.. These foxes seem to be very lamp shy, and anyway due to the location in the wood - lamping them isnt really much of an option.

We've come up with a couple of top secret high-tech and very low-tech ideas of how we intend to out smart them... :)

We need to ensure that around 22:00hrs is the "time" so the clocks and camera have been reset - and we shall see what tonight brings....

Only time will tell if our unorthodox method(s) prove to be successful

Watch this space :yes:

Edited by garyb

Had a quick sit up again tonight... saw nothing

Although both baits have been well and truly chewed in the last 24 hours... :thanks:

So you could be hit again?

Fit travel clocks to some bait and get an idea of when to be there ............waiting :lol:

Excuse my ignorance but how does the travel clock system work?

We brought a couple of cheap battery operated clocks from the likes of argos ~ £2 each..

The clock is fitted onto the end of the stake which is driven into the ground with the bait on it.

There is then some fishing nylon from the bait and around the battery in the clock...

Once foxy takes the bait.. the battery pulls free and the clock stops.

As they are creatures of habbit - it gives you a better of idea of when you need to be sat up to meet them.

Had a quick sit up again tonight... saw nothing

Although both baits have been well and truly chewed in the last 24 hours... :lol:

So you could be hit again?

Fit travel clocks to some bait and get an idea of when to be there ............waiting :lol:

Excuse my ignorance but how does the travel clock system work?

connect the bait to the batteries on the clock and secure the clock,when the bait is taken the batteries come loose stopping the clock and indicating the time

charlies around.

i think a game camera is better however more wonga :thanks: