gun shy

cooke103

im not much of a gun dog expert but i am getting a black lab and hopefully train it for a gun dog. my last dog was gun shy :< . it ran away as a puppy and i think it had a bad experiance then bescause ever since then its been petrified of gun shots. it even hides when it sees me walking out with the gun.

how do you introduce a dog to guns without making it gun shy or is it just a genetic thing?

thanks

jake

Jake,

There certainly is a genetic component, but it's not the whole story by a long shot (pun intended).

Most properly bred dogs from solid working stock should be OK if they are introduced to loud noises gradually. Where some folks go wrong is thinking to themselves "I wonder if this 5 week old pup is gunshy"? So they let drive with a 12 bore over his head.......and hey guess what? He is.

Most doggy trainers make a point of being noisy on the run up to feeding time, dinging the steel bowls, closing the door with a bump, but at the same time being happy and fussing the dog. That way Fido associates loud noise with grub and cuddles.

By a similar token introduce gun shots gradually and make it fun. When you are doing a bit of retrieving training, have someone fire a shot a couple of hunderd yards away, and immediately give the dog a "happy retrieve".

Build it up from there in stages. You'll find this site a handy resource Dog training forum

Regards

Eug

Guns don't make dogs gunshy people do (remind anyone of a song)

Most doggy trainers make a point of being noisy on the run up to feeding time, dinging the steel bowls, closing the door with a bump, but at the same time being happy and fussing the dog. That way Fido associates loud noise with grub and cuddles.

By a similar token introduce gun shots gradually and make it fun. When you are doing a bit of retrieving training, have someone fire a shot a couple of hunderd yards away, and immediately give the dog a "happy retrieve".

Build it up from there in stages. You'll find this site a handy resource Dog training forum

Thats it in a nut shell.

After my pup was used to doors banging, steel bowls clanging, garage doors slamming shut, cars, lorries, my honda CBR 600 reving it was time for the gun to come out. She was used to all noises before the gun came out and all the other noises she was introduced to gradually and with treats and praise.

Took the gun into the back field with a mate and got him to go 150 yards and then I sat the dog in the field told him to fire a shot, BANG, dog biscuit/praise. 120 yards BANG, dog biscuit/praise. 100 yards BANG, dog biscuit/praise. etc etc etc down to about 10 yards then I threw a dummy BANG, praise and then retrieve.

My pup showed no signs of stress and now when I lift the gun she get excited.

Don't rush it.........Association NOISE = FUN/FOOD/PRAISE is the key.

I have always introduced my dogs by taking them to the game fair at Scone Palace. There are good smells ,other dogs,all kinds of exciting things and away in the distance are the gun stands so little by little the dog is getting closer to the bangs and doesn`t notice it!Eventually the dog will be hearing the noise and taking note but if it starts to get anxious then you just back away. I`m also lucky that I can go flanking and assisting with picking up on grouse moor and partridges so that tends to consolidate the game fair.Best of luck!

I'm training a black lab and the above posts tend to tell it all. Just be patient gradually introduce it to lound noises perhaps leaving him in the kennel and firing some shots from a distance. In his kennel he is safe and will be calm. Then have a friend fire some shots while you train keep a good distance from the noise and then slowly bring it closer. Never forget to give plently of attention to your dog keep him happy and he will do the same. Good luck.

when i first got my springer she was gun shy big time shr was a friends dog and he did not have the time to train her so he gave her to me it took a lot of work to get her used to the gun then i lost it all by one silly mistake of shooting a shot gun next to a tractor and she was shy again i did all the work again and now as soon as she sees me in camo or the gun out she goes mad i must off done a good job as in summer i had her laying next to a .222 as it was being fired and all she did was look up to mark if anything had been shot the thing i think with gun dog training is treat the dog like a kid/ never ever hit the dog/ and take your time with the training it may take some time but when its over and you spend time working the dog by god its worth it i love nothing more than going out with a shot gun and my dog thats why i still have a brand new theoben that has been in the field once

• 4 weeks later...