The official Chilli plant thread

Dunkield

Not a recipe, just a thread to discuss chilli plants, as a few of us have been given them by Mung, and few others have admitted to having them.

I will kick off by asking when I can expect to see some chilli's on mine?

They are about 4ft high now, and have nice flowers but not much else :rolleyes:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've already harvested loads of Prairie Fire and a couple of Santa Fe Grande chillis so far. Got quite a few others ready for picking now - Cherry Bomb, Fresno, Hungarian Wax and one or two Twilights. My hotter ones still have some way to go - Orange Habanero and Antillais Carribbean.

My first try at growing them and it seems to be going OK. I guess it depends on when the seeds were sown and what types of plant you have as to when the fruit will appear - they grow at noticably different rates and you can see a daily change when the weather is hot (not often where I am). If you've got flowers then the fruit will appear very soon. I planted my seeds at the end of February and after a slow start they soon came on.

Mine are growing in the kitchen and the porch - other half is getting me a greenhouse as she sick of the site of them now. :rolleyes:

I'm told that if conditions are OK, some will produce all year round. And that in winter, they should be treated like perennial house plants and just given a trim back.

I will upload my chilli photo case book later.

I haven't been in my greenhouse for a few days - given this weather nothing seems to need watering given the complete lack of any ******* sunshine.

Incidentally, if you do have your chillis under glass, leave the door open - the night temperature needs to go below 20 degrees for the chillis to get hot.

Incidentally, if you do have your chillis under glass, leave the door open - the night temperature needs to go below 20 degrees for the chillis to get hot.

Didn't know that, and i guess the bees can get in and will pollinate everything for you too?

Stuart you need to self pollinate. :):yes:

Gently rub your fingers inside the flower heads, this will pollinate the plant. The flower will eventually brown and drop off and a chilli will work its way out.

http://www.thechilliking.com/Growing.shtml :lol:

spot on axe.... do the rubbing/pollenating thingy or have a few plants so that they can get it on !

i did some a few years ago...first is a white flower, then a small nub appears in the center, grows steadily till the flower drops off then begins to look like a small chilli..... have patience and let them grow large and even ripen to a firey red.... dont pick them off too soon youll know when their at their peak... must have had twenty + chilli's on it....

i foolishly thought as i had only grown them myself, from a seed out of a regular chilli, on the window sill, firstly on wet cooton wool, then a yoghurt pot and finally a pot full of compost ... ithought they'd be weak if heat...... MY GOD was i wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck with the harvest..

ive just picked all my chillis I had over 100 plants now they are all drying in the greenhouse there was about 3 bucketfuls in total

cayenne

hot stuff

prarie fire

peach habenero

joes long

and jalapeno

all done well apart from the peach habanero which where still flowering as the rest where ready so they went on the heap

if anyone wants the seeds of any of these pm me and ill send you some

ill post some pics tomorrow

Here are a few picks of the chillies I am growing at the moment (All grown from seed in my conservatory and then straight out into garden since I don,t have a greenhouse) it's the first time I've done them and am well chuffed the only thing is not sure of the varieties since some little person has taken out the name tags the light green ones are about 3 inches long I have used two of these for Pinns pigeon breast recipie chinesse style which will be on the BBQ later on today :good: Anyway links below to pics :

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/JJax.../MiniChilli.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/JJax.../LongChilli.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/JJax...lli/chilli4.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/JJax...lli/Chilli1.jpg

Thanks

Jas

Edited by JJaxeman

Picked 12 Thai's tonight coutesey of Mungler and the Demons are just turning too :stupid:

Saving seeds if anyone is interested in growing next season.

I have now had 30 from the plant 2007 and it's only two foot high.

I have sent pics to Mungler for you SP.

LB

Edited by lurcherboy

On the self pollenating thing - it may also help if you have more than one breed of chilli plant, as I know our blueberries wouldn't produce fruit unless they were pollenated by another type, so chilli's may well be the same. :good:

Don't know what the missus does with ours, but they have produced chilli's from when they were 6-8in tall. :good:

Went round to a friends for a bbq at the weekend and they get ones that start green and then go through an array of colours to the final stage - purple! :good:

do i just split the pod put a seed on a bit of cotton wool in a yoghurt cup and water it a bit and give it some light to start it off?

I started my seeds in small compost-filled pots and put them in the airing cupboard - no light required for germination but they need heat AND light when the seedlings appear.

Went round to a friends for a bbq at the weekend and they get ones that start green and then go through an array of colours to the final stage - purple!

They sound like Twilights. If so, they eventually go red.

Went round to a friends for a bbq at the weekend and they get ones that start green and then go through an array of colours to the final stage - purple!

They sound like Twilights. If so, they eventually go red.

Think your twiglets may be a little out of date bob! :good: Apparently they start green then head into red and then go purple! :good:

Ah OK. Mine were green, had a bit of purple then orange/red. Sounds like I've still got a full purple stage to go. Don't know how well they will all fare - noticeably colder today. I don't think growing chillis on the NE coast of Scotland is ever going to be easy, it's too cold! :good:

• 3 weeks later...

OK so we have chilli's now, plentyof them in various sizes/ages.

As these are the fist ones to grow I don't know long big they should be so I have nothing to gauge them against.

Complete nooob question, how do you know when they are fully grown? i.e. do they start to 'go back' if they are left too long :hmm: