The official Chilli plant thread

Dunkield

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got mine growing at work (seven plants, all about 4" tall so far), all from seeds courtesy of Mr. dfish. But... We've been promised a few Dorset Naga seeds from a mate of one of my co-workers. If they come in, I'll get a growbag of thos eon the go and get some sent round.

By the way, my plants are in normal compost... Is it worth using something like Tomorite or another liquid fertiliser to give them a bit of a boost? Also, is it worth cloching them to keep moisture in, or just keep watering them so that the AC doesn't dry them out?

Best way to see if a plant needs water is to pick up the container - sometimes the top of a container will look dry and cracked but the plant's roots will be swimming in water. Over watering a plant is probably worse than under watering it.

As for tomorrite, yes (I swear by the stuff, or rather the much cheaper B&Q copy), but absolutely not yet. Wait for foiliage and fruit.

I think my seeds supplier recommended John Innes compounds but I can't remember which number. Something to do with loam based compounds being good / better for chillies.

Edited to add: Yeh, here we go - some info on gorwing from where I get my seeds http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/growing-chillies.php

Edited by Piebob

a good way i use is fill your seed pots with your compost then water them and i mean have them sogged then leave a week in greenhouse draining then plant your seeds if your after 10 plants plant 20 seeds 2 to a pot if both germinate remove the weaker one or transplant it i do this feb - march as it gets warmer plant seeds sooner :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Also found this little snippet from another site, so be wary of cross pollination !

with any sort of peppers if you stress the plant by (eg letting it get too dry etc ) you wil end up with hotter chillis.

so remember neglect under watering -general abuse means hotter.

usually too the "wilder" the chillis are the hotter

it is harder to brreed for amild sweeter pepper - so if you collect your own seed and allow varieties to cross it is likeley you wil end up with all hot peppers

I'm feelign a bit gutted at the moment. My seven plants to survive so far are looking a bit weedt still and the poeple over the hall in our office have got a forest of the damn things, some of which are producing chillis already!

I'm just wondering if there is anything I am doing wrong... Plants seperated - Check, in nice compost - check, not over-watered - check, sunlight - check.

Anything I am missing?

• 2 weeks later...

I normally get some seeds from the FIL when he comes back from Mauritius and these are very small green chillies which are the hotest i have ever tasted....but sadly last year none of them grew.....

I got some pickled in the fridge and you only need the slightest bit on your food as they are so strong and hot

Hopefully i may get some more very soon and have another go at growing them.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine hvae flowers on!!

They have been on a bit of a dry cycle for the last week, so when I went to give them a bit of a drink I noticed they have flowers on.

I'm going to get the guy at work who has a chilli _forest_ on his desk to help me with pruning tomorrow if he is in, but I think I could be seeing some chillis soon!

Finaly after almost 3 weeks they are above ground was begining to think they would never sprout (in a large cold frame style thingy outside with heater in) and the Toms/Peppers are also out. Last year I used the conservatory for this so Im a first timer outside LOL. All looing good so far :blink: :good::lol: