The official Chilli plant thread

Dunkield

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Scotch Bonnet need full sun to ripen properly. I've just moved mine to another window so that they get sun throughout the day to get a bit more of a chance at it.

That said, the Numex Twilights I got from JimDFish just keep on producing fruit day after day.

My Jalapeno is getting greenflied right now... not happy.

urgh, i so wish i'd found this threat before.

this year i bought about 4 or 5 different packets of chili seeds from various garden centre's and supermarkets. bought a propegator, and ended up with 40 plants!

however i realise some massive mistakes i made. over-watering, and not prunging! they're were on all my window-sills and the window is 4 foot.... and they just got taller and taller and taller. i've had some chili's, but i reckon next year i need to get a greenhouse. i can't be doing with not being able to see out of my windows! and, i think everyone on my street wondered what on earth i was growing. they're like triffids! so i shall certainly be taking some of everyone's advice for next year.

however, i like my chili's hot. where's the best place to buy seeds, and what are some of the hottest variety? i only really know of scotch bonnets as being mega hot.

Darebear,

I'f you like hot chillis, you need to be looking at something like the Bhut Jolokia, but be aware that they have a low germination rate compared to other sorts. You could also try the Dorset Nagas and both these and more can be got from the internet. If you search for "Chillis Galore" they have a section where you can order seeds I think.

I'll dig out some more links later.

Chilli update

Well I have had my flabber gasted over the past week as I had given many of the chillies I cultivated to friends and one gave me hers back :good: What was interesting is that mine are in 10" pots and are compact and about 8" high, hers was in a 5" pot and is about a foot tall, but hey compact is good too.

IMG_1558.jpg

The speed at which the first chilli is turning colour is amazing too, yesterday it was just starting to go orange near the stem. Today.....

IMG_1557.jpg

Finally this chilli isn`t the same as the others, the fruits are pointing upward and aren`t as dumpy as the others and I have a feeling it may be a hotty too.

IMG_1559.jpg

I forgot to add I tried one of the green ones in a Thai curry last night and I thought it was quite sweet, however Mrs.Hd tried hers and said it was red hot........that will be the bit that had the seeds etc. still attached then :hmm:

I never thought that other pigeon shooters were so into chillies, I shoot pigeons and grow chillies too!!

I have some hot and some mild ones.

Cayenenne

Nepalese bell

Roccoto

Aji

Ancho

Banana supreme

2xr Sweet spot

Hungarian wax

Alma paprika

All are looking good, but i need a recipe for game chili, and spicy meatloaf, im thinking of doing.

My kids love pheasant and pigeon burgers. and i like the hottest chili sauce, just a shame the summer has been so cr p round here and the bbq has not seen much action.

post-16676-1252350997.jpg

I never thought that other pigeon shooters were so into chillies, I shoot pigeons and grow chillies too!!

I have some hot and some mild ones.

Cayenenne

Nepalese bell

Roccoto

Aji

Ancho

Banana supreme

2xr Sweet spot

Hungarian wax

Alma paprika

All are looking good, but i need a recipe for game chili, and spicy meatloaf, im thinking of doing.

My kids love pheasant and pigeon burgers. and i like the hottest chili sauce, just a shame the summer has been so cr p round here and the bbq has not seen much action.

Which ones are the chocolate-y purple-y coloured ones on the left Miroku?

They look deceptively sweet...

LS

I have not grown any this year but the FIL is off to mauritus again in October so hopefully he may bring me back some seeds to start some off again.

Anyway i made an omlette the other day and got a couple of my 2 year old pickled Mauritan chillies out of the fridge....boy were they hot, my mouth went numb......

Just got back from two weeks away in the US to find that the guys at work forgot to water my plants for a week. It was only when the guy at the desk next door got back that he started flooding them and just managed to save the poor things. Apart from no flowers and a slight yellow look to the leaves, they seem to have survived.

But... I have two ripe Cheyennes now and a very lovely looking ripe scotch bonnet at home waiting for some home grown tomatoes so that they can make some "jolly hot" salsa together.

So it all worked out well.

I did lose my Jalapeno plant at home though. Poor thing.

Just found this thread... and what a random find it is :P

I have a dozen or so Dorset Naga seeds in a polythene bag in my freezer: any tips on these? More to the point, are they actually any good for anything other than homemade MACE?

Smig, got your PM.

Egg, you want to know what to do with Dorset Naga seeds? Grow them, give the fruit to you mates and watch them suffer!

BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

more or less

I'm scared to even touch them without an NBC suit on :D

I know this is a tad naughty but !!! Take one to the pub with you and when your mate goes to the toilet split the chillie and rub it around the top of his pint ,watch his face when he has a drink ,first you will see him start licking his lips ,then he will ask if your pint TASTES ok then he will start swearing ( like F------ Hell my lips are on fire )lastly he will start drinking like a fish and so it starts all over again......

:yp: i found some sauce at asda recently - called "insanity", this stuff even carries a warning not to get it on your skin!

(try spreading a little on your mates pizza & see how it goes down! - nice on steak though...) :P:innocent:

• 5 months later...

im going to make an effort this year. :blush:

just looking at these guys on youtube makes me want a big bowl of chilli :oops:

(try my embeding skills now)

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

aaarrrggghhhhh, way wont this damn thing work?:hmm:?

Edited by MM