First shotgun

daveb

It depends whether you want an over/under or a semi-auto, but you'll not go far wrong with Beretta, Browning/Miroku.

You should get a decent semi-auto for 300/400 quid but you might need to spend a bit more on a O/U if it's to be Beretta or Browning. Having said that, you'd get a decent Lanber or Baikal for that money, or even less and they're perfectly OK for a starter gun, but you'll probably want to upgrade within a few months, that seems to be what happens :good::yes::hmm:

A beretta 302/ 302/ or 303. should fit the bill for you to start with all in your price range and will old the price should you exchange.

the best beretta gun for clays in my opinion is the 391 urika as you can set the stock to fit you.

my advice is to go to your local club and try a few guns with the lads,

dont go for cheap hatsans or webley and scott. semi,s buy in haste repent at your leisure.

a gun must fit you for you to hit targets.

you can buy an o/u baikal for £150 s/h it will last you out but if if dont fit you forget it.

go to your local clay club and ask the advice of the lads. and dont let them sell you their ****.

take your time before buying.

decent buys at the right price are rizzini o/u or silma supreme,o/u

these are good quality guns that wont skin you.

or betinsoli/ lamber. not to bad.

Edited by peter-peter

Whatever you buy, you'll...

(i) soon think you should have bought the other, more expensive gun.

(ii) And then you will buy it. But then, you'll...

(iii) soon think you should have bought the other, more expensive gun.

(iv) As above, ad infinitum ad nauseam...

Welcome to the world financial destitution! :good:

Sack the shooting and take up smoking Crack - it's cheaper in the long run and there are free programs to help you quit. :yes:

Edited by LEFTY478

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo everyone. I am in the same position. I have sent my shotgun application last week and I am hopefull that soon I will have my licence.

I am interested in clay shooting, as well as the occasional pigeon and rabbit shooting. I was thinking that a happy medium would be for me to go for a second hand (money constrains) semi or auto (not sure what the difference in the 'automaticity' is) . I know Berreta and Browning are reputable for sturdiness and quality, so I was thinking perhaps one of those?

any help would be greately appreciated. Thanks!

Whatever make or type you eventually decide on buying, do make sure (as has already been said above) that it fits you. If you're not sure if it fits or not, seek some expert advice to help guide you.

It's really pretty crucial to helping you hit your targets :whistling:

Good luck with your new gun.

Enjoy it! :innocent:

Thanks everyone. Yes, the urika seems to be a good choice for a starter like myself. It is absolutely essential for me that the gun has no jams (would not know what to do with it when it jams) and is easy to maintain, as I am an absolute beginer, as I said.

How much should I expect to pay for a good second hand shotgun (let us say for argument's sake, a urika) and what do I need to pay attention on the gun itself to make sure it is a good gun?Finally, I read about gas system in Beretta and for chokes. How often do I need to replace the gas cylinder and the chokes? (what exactly are chokes?They look like shells to me...)

Loads of questions eh?

Sorry.... :good:???:yes: :yes:

Edit: Fabarm looks great too... :hmm::lol: :lol: B)

Edited by Psyxologos

The choke is a bit in the end of the barrel that defines the spread of shot at (say) 40 yards. Most people worry endlessly about then before buying, then once they've bought the gun never change them :good:

If you're going down the semi-auto route dont buy without first checking out Benelli. The Beretta is a great gun too, but the Benelli is just as good, some (including me) would say better.

The choke is a bit in the end of the barrel that defines the spread of shot at (say) 40 yards. Most people worry endlessly about then before buying, then once they've bought the gun never change them :good:

If you're going down the semi-auto route dont buy without first checking out Benelli. The Beretta is a great gun too, but the Benelli is just as good, some (including me) would say better.

Thanks for that. What sort of price are we talking for a decent second hand Benelli or Beretta?

£400 - £500 I expect, though be aware there's loads more secondhand Berettas than Benellis available.

If you have broadband and QuickTime, go here and click on HD 720, and prepare to be impressed :blink:

WOW! I AM impressed!

Thanks!!!!

P.S: Which model should I look for in Benelli do you reckon?

Edited by Psyxologos

One suggestion... buying a quality second hand gun usually means that you can re-sell it in the future for approximately the same price as you paid for it. My dad picked up a less than 3 months old Beretta Silver Pigeon for £900 this summer, after a couple of years ofshooting it shouldn't have dropped much in value.

Thanks everyone. Next thing I need to decide is the gauge and the length of the barrel. Should I go for a 10, a 12 or a 20 gauge? 27, 28 or 30 cm barel?

I am not bothered about recoil (I think) as I consider myself quite strong. I understand that the best test would be for me to go down to a clay shooting club and try things out, I am only asking to see what most people use. I will be using the shotgun for clays, rabbits and pigeons, and, as soon as I get confident shooting, quarry (Geese and ducks) so I want something powerful.

Edited by Psyxologos