Vostok MU6/MU8

GBS

I have a rather strange request here - I am looking for a Russian built MU6 or MU8 sporting shotgun. Made by Baikal I believe they were i think exported as "Vostok MU6" or "Vostok MU8" , although some people call them Baikal MU6. A distinctive feature - the forend is not detachable from the barrels and 4 massive bolts can be clearly seen in the the forend.

Not particuarly pretty but I have a friend who is keen to get one............ :stupid:

All leads appreciated....

Many thanks

gb

i used to have the mu8 many years ago. they were the choice of the russion olympic squad who took gold a few years back. best skeet gun in the world. think our own joe neville shot 200 straight isu with one.

Hi Beretta,

Ive never seen one in the flesh. Are they any good? what sort of price do they command these days?

Gb

I spent a while looking for one of those.

I'm afraid I gave up - there were none for sale in the UK at the time, as far as I could see :stupid:

I Googled it to death. Very little info and I couldn't find one for sale. Mind you, I have to confess that I didn't know at the time that it was a Baikal MU6. I assumed that Baikal and Vostok were completely different guns. I might have another look for it under the Baikal name.

Thank-you for all information above. I hadn't realised they were quite so Iconic!

Gordon, I think I have chased the wrong blackpool gun club (I got the muzzle loaders and small bore rifle club!) - do you please have any contact detail for them?

Many thanks,

gb

Edited by georgieB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I read with interest everyones view on the Vostok and a few suggestions that the gun is effectively a 'Baikal'.

This is far from the truth as my Vostok MU 108-4 Skeet gun (currently for sale on guntrader.co.uk - see http://www.guntrader.co.uk/?NewGunID=080929122512290 ) is well placed in the top half of the best skeet guns around. This is more than amply described in a clay shooting review http://www.clay-shooting.com/guntests/vostokMU6.pdf

The MU 108 is a particulary good handling gun with exceptional trigger pulls and it has a basic charm and agricultural look. But don't let that fool you - this gun will last forever doing the job that it was designed for - breaking clays!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I have an MU-8, MU-8 12ga shotgun, which I unfortunately would have a great deal of difficulty selling you as I live in British Columbia, Canada.

Here's what I know about them. Yes, fine Russian Shotguns, all one of a kind. First 2 digits in the SN# are the date, numbers after that are how many were made to that point. I am fortunate enought to have one Mfg. on my birthday.

A company called KBP is the parent company, whose website had info on current make, and models. Vague, excessive prices are indicated on their site, as they are still a custom made proposition.

Also called the MC-8 in later production, the cost of obtaining one of these custom shotguns could range up to and well beyond $15,000 Canadian.

I believe they were also given to prominant political figures or presidents, by the Russian govt. Ie. (Not positive here) but I believe, Roosevelt, Tito, and Castro, may have been recipients of such shotguns from the Russian Govt.

True they were used by the Soviet trap team, and 500,000 rounds could be fired from one of these stout over unders, with no appreciable wear.

IMHO, they are worth what someone is willing to pay. I've only ever seen two in the flesh. Mine, a 12ga with full choke chambers in 2 3/4". The other MC-8 I saw was at a gunshow passing through Prince George, BC Canada. It was a mint 12ga O/U for which the owner wanted a mere $2350 Canadian.

The owner of the shotgun had no idea of what it was, or it's intrinsic value. Nor did he know how to disassemble it. I gave him a quick lesson for which he was very grateful.

If I thought it would be a breeze to sell you mine, I'd probably let it go, as I shoot more centerfire rifles now. But customs and import to the UK would be a nightmare, therefore; I won't even go there.

Check out KBP, (A russian military supply company), which has a sporter rifle division, and that may give you more information, and options if you have the $$$for a new one.

Cheers, SFT

Edited by Shoot4thrills