Beaters pay ?

Cranfield

I have been to a few different shoots this season here goes.

Beater Pay.£18 + pub lunch ( 1 pint, sausage chips beans and onion gravey)

Beater pay £20 with dog £23

Beater pay £22 + £3 with dog

Beater Pay £25 and with dog £28 + soup and fresh bread rolls and a bloody good laugh.

Beater £14 same with dog + soup and fresh bread and bottles of wine and beer tea and coffee as much as you would like.

Beater Pay £18 with dog £20

Loading £ 40 + tips

Loading £50 + tips.

Notice how you can get 5 days beating a week but only 2 days loading every 8 weeks ( ****** that anit it )

• 2 weeks later...

I beat on two different shoots in the Essex area and neither pays.

The first is run by a friend of mine and is a mixture of 'family' and syndicate days. The day is hard and alcohol lacking but I wouldn't give it up. I pick up a bit of squirrel and pigeon shooting throughout the year and have foxing whenever I want it.

The second is a large Essex estate which is an all family and friends shoot run at enormous cost to the land owner. We are always given a very large lunch and drinks with the guns, and a beaters day and dinner at the end of the year. To be honest the estate has so much history around game shooting I would do it just to keep the tradition going.

Pike

• 2 weeks later...

£20 a day for beating, or nothing if you take part in small walked up days with the keeper during the season.

Most of our pickers up do it for nothing, I think, because they are family friends and have lunch with the guns and the hostess, but some get £20-£25 and lunch with the beaters.(Bring your own but there is a kettle with tea, coffee and cuppa soups if you want it.)

Lots of dog people would come picking up for nothing, I think. Trouble is, they waste too much time dog-training instead of getting on with it!

Helped a friend out Tuesday on a shoot where the beaters are paid £15.

Trouble is there is no kettle (everyone knows beaters are fuelled by tea) and no lunch - think I will stick to my shoot where the creature comforts of a Nescafe and and hot soup more than make up for the lack of beer money.

There also seems to be a trend in beaters who are just out for a stroll and have no interest in instructions given to them by keepers, underkeepers or anyone else in the line - any thoughts?

There also seems to be a trend in beaters who are just out for a stroll and have no interest in instructions given to them by keepers, underkeepers or anyone else in the line - any thoughts?

i have noticed that when i was grouse beating. there were a few lads who didnt seem to care what the keepers were saying.

they got sacked after the fist day :angry: serve them right :D

Jake

Yeah......decent pay and lunch and can`o`beer and cock shoot and an arm full of pheasants when the game dealers "fix"their price for a brace :<

some of you chaps are really lucky.

i would / will do it for free , but would,nt mind being offered a brace and a thank you from the guns.

i,m just glad to get out in to the country side and enjoy myself .

Any one know where there might be some beating opertunities going :D

Darren ...

Hiya All, and a Happy New Year to everyone.

I am new to this site but not to field sports.

I would like to comment please on beater's pay.

With a few exceptions established syndicated shoots are obliged to pay beaters and do so.

National minimum wage rate applies, some pay more.

Beaters with dogs should receive same as pickers-up.

REPLY TO PTaylor:

Obviously there is a technique to beating and it comes with experience, anyone new to beating will already have been introduced to it by someone involved with that shoot, and the beat keeper will most certainly facilitate when inexperienced people are in the beating line.

Cheers, Jimmy.

:)

Hello to you Cranfield.

I was referring to the large shoots (300+bird days) with paying syndicates or let-days, where min wage rates usually apply, albeit UNOFFICIALLY.

Sure I know there are many small shoots, as yours probably is, where the bush beaters are recruited friends and family members, and where hopfully the 'guns' contibute something to said beaters efforts.

On many shoots, where the 'guns' are usually invited they will each give between £15-20 to the keeper towards rewarding beaters.

I am well aware that the great majority of beaters do not turn out for financial reward but then I've never seen anyone refuse payment either!

Cheers, Jimmy :lol:

p.s.

Is Cranfield your surname?

I knew of an R.Cranfield from Southend-on-Sea who used to go pigeon shooting.