Which air pistol for vermin?

Daemo

I cleared about 7 rats out of my garden with a Beautiful Beretta 92FS (nickle) air pistol. I think i was missing some shots because it was far too pretty and distracting, it used thoese little 12g C02 carts which were powerful enough for the first 25ish shots. At 1-8 or so yards they did the trick and some of the close shots went clean through. All i have to say is the power is there at the top of the tank, but dont try and use these types of pistol past around 30 shots, they will bounce off of chipboard! you could clear the 8 round clip as fast as you could pull the trigger, but to cut down on trigger-jerk you can cock the hammer first manually.

The only reason i had to use a pistol was that my rifle would cause too much of a stir with the neigbours and i needed the quick second shot option as rats a slippery and a head/ heart/lung shot was not going to happen every time. Any other time i would have used something with a bit more oopmfh but after 3 months of useless poisening and trapping i had to get it done.

Define what you mean by vermin and at what range.

I bought a .22 Crosman 2240 CO2 pistol and found that even at 5 - 10 yards it would not drop a squirrel or pigeon - although I was hitting them - just not enough power at legal max of 6ft-lbs for a killer body shot and pistol-shooting even at close range does not produce consistent head shots.

I haven't come up against a rat or a mouse with it yet.

On the other hand my XS78 CO2 rifle does the job nicely (and is actually quieter), albeit that we are still talking head-jobs

Edited by amateur

You need a rifle. Rats in particular are rather tough critters. Six foot pounds of power is not enough to kill in any kind of reliable way and as has been said, you are unlikely to be able to hit them on the head with a pistol and probably won't penetrate their body with such low power.

Decent poison will certainly kill them if you put it down consistently. Bromadialone based poison doped onto blue dyed wheat is deadly. I have been using it and have killed a large rat population in the last two weeks. Just put it in some short off cuts of drainpipe so birds don't take it and die. You need to put it down for about a week and then it will stop being taken because all the rats are dead.

just found out on net its running at 7lbs slightly on the edge buy todays mark so i just read proves its a wacka ! two year ago they fetched £ 65 near/mint hope this helpfully

Are you completely stupid or just plain retarded?7 lbs is no where near ok to shoot at a living creature, rat or not and as it goes rats are particularly hard creatures, would you like to be shot and shot again untill you died???If not then start to respect your quarry and shoot it with a weapon with enough juice to kill it as it stands.

just found out on net its running at 7lbs slightly on the edge buy todays mark so i just read proves its a wacka ! two year ago they fetched £ 65 near/mint hope this helpfully

Are you completely stupid or just plain retarded?7 lbs is no where near ok to shoot at a living creature, rat or not and as it goes rats are particularly hard creatures, would you like to be shot and shot again untill you died???If not then start to respect your quarry and shoot it with a weapon with enough juice to kill it as it stands.

bit strong that, dont you think? bit unhelpfull. :good:

Is that an air pistol? :good:

FM

yes mate from the late 70s early 80s google it pics and info out there :good:

no its just the medication i,m on shame BOMBER HARRIS wasnt on it ! and it takes 4lbs to punch a hole in a rabbits skull so a rats no problem :good:

Crosman 1377 or 2240 or HW45 are the only pistols to consider when thinking of short range vermin control. That said, I would never use one because of the accuracy issue - and you MUST hit your quarry in the right part of the head with 6 ft/lb. I bought a 1377 once and it seemed pretty potent but very hard to shoot with a big long barrel and heavy trigger pull. I thought about putting a stock on it and tuning it and perhaps a trigger job... then I though why not just stick with a rifle!! :good:

So, use something with a stock and a decent trigger.. a ratcatcher if you must, otherwise an air rifle (you can buy less powerful ones if you require one). I would recommend 12 ft/lb but build a decent back stop behind your killing zone. :good:

If you want something a bit different for close range... why not use a catapult with .50" lead balls. :good:

FM

What 7lbs from a pistol dont you think thats a bit coughilligalcough

FM

thats why this pistol was produced before u were born reseach something before u question it :good:

Is that an air pistol? :o

FM

yes mate from the late 70s early 80s google it pics and info out there :stupid:

thats why this pistol was produced before u were born reseach something before u question it :good:

Oh ok sorry i was just wondering :good: