FOX/CROW KILLER?

Deako

I suppose if you tickled a pigeon long enough with it, it would probably die laughing. :(

I have seen similar things in the US.

One was like a fox,s brush which was electrically powered and wiggled about.

Another was a rat sized furry thing, that went up and down a pole about 2' tall, it was meant to look like a creature trapped against a fence.

They sound funny, but they do work.

They are always used in conjunction with decoy calls.

Cranfield, I'm interested that you have knowledge that these things do actually work.I thought the feathers could be swapped for a piece of rabbit fur or a pheasants wing to suit the occasion.

They look like a compact and simple bit of kit, but I don't yet know what the import costs (tax) will be at this stage.

From my limited experience of importing stuff from the U.S., the cost in pounds usually equates to the cost in dollars after 'duties' are paid.

Whether the manufacturer can supply us at a cost effective price remains to be seen. :(

With the amount of members here making their own rotary devices, these things certainly don,t appear to be any more complicated.

Show one to the chap who makes the flappers, you may not have to import any. :(

I think they would be most use in daylight, with corvids.

Our predatory mammals don,t hunt as much in daylight, as they seem to do in the US.

Its illegal to shoot anything, in most States after sunset.

• 1 month later...

Deako;

I have not used that particular model, but I can tell you when you combine the movement with a predetor call it works great. The one that has worked best for me is a decoy heart (a round motorized ball, decoy heart is a registered trade name) covered in rabbit fur. When the decoy is turned on if rolls around in a very eradic pattern  simulating a wounded bunny. Coupling this with a distressed rabbit call gives you a fantastic coyote and fox setup. The only modification we made was to add a tether line to the decoy or it will eventually get to far out on you. I have also used one similar to the one you are looking at, it however was of rabbit fur. From my experience they all seem to work fine aslong as you couple the decoy with the correct call.

I have a friend (yes it is possible) a couple of blocks over with about 500 sheep and usually about 20 coyotes during the march lamb season, so this year my plan is to use  a piece of sheep skin soaked in some birthing fluid on a jerk cord, so it can be moved slowly, simulating a weak lamb. I will combine this with the distress call of a new born lamb. I am hoping this will be a kick *** set up, as the farmer looses about 200 lambs a season to fox and coyotes.

• 4 weeks later...