net making?

neil

• 4 weeks later...

nets are easy mate, you just join a lot of holes together with string, and there you are. Joke, heres a really good book to get hold of = NET MAKING FOR SPORT. by

HOWARD G. GLENN. This is available from, = TIDELINE BOOKS, 49 KINMEL STREET, RHYL. CLWYD. LL18 1AG. I've made loads now, and, they hold rabbits a treat, making a long net is more of a career than a hobby, so stick to the old purse net and you won't go far wrong. I do the occasional article in THE COUNTRYMAN'S WEEKLY' under my real name of Barry Phillips and most of them are to do with ferrets or making nets, I find the French { sorry, excuse the language } bourse to be a very handy type of net that holds rabbits very well! I'll try and scan a picture of one and that should give you the idea, best of luck anyway, longnetter.

I'm sorted, i started with the website and a chapter in one of my ferreting books, made quite a few mistakes and then seemed to crack it, i also get a good friend who is a fisherman to give me a bit of a crash course which helped alot (cant beat watching over someones sholder!) made about six and a half so far, and used them along with my existing stock last weekend and caught rabbits in them! very satisfing and as everyone has said very easy once you know how :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I've just had a bash at making a purse net from that website,

and it seems to work... Apart from the "casting off", that is. I tried

to get a book from the library, but the ******'s closed. Anyone got any

tips on casting off? The website says there are other methods, but I can't find

jack on the web.

Also, longnetter: what's a bourse? Pic? :-D

Been making my own hemp purse nets for quite a while now. Top tip is to taper them; don't cast on 18 meshes and make the whole net that width, start off with 8, make the next row 9 and so on up to 18 then back down reducing back to 8. Less bulky, holds rabbits better, uses less material, quicker to make.

Use the right size mesh, too small and they won't snag, too big and they will get through. 2 inch is about right IMHO.

When you put the drawcord in thread it through the end ring with a hitch to stop it moving, once youve threaded it right through the edges of the net tie some hemp around the casting on mesh to keep the whole lot tightly in place. Net won't tangle so much in use and it makes it much easier to dig the ring into the ground when netting up. I always try to put the end ring into the ground cos it helps any back netters to purse the net up better.

Just a few thoughts, we've been after the bunnies for years now, tally this season so far just over 350.

Have fun !!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a while, and I think my purse net is pretty good. It purses, and it

spreads out flat nicely. I can even throw it fairly smoothly. Now, it's this that's got

me thinking. :-D

What if i were to take a purse net, tie an extra long draw cord to my trousers, and

then throw the net (cast net stylee) over some birds (waterfowl say). Then, pulling

the draw cord = one bag of geese. :-DD Unfortunately, I've worked this out right at the

end of the fowl season, so I can't try it out. Maybe a smaller mesh would work on

pigeon?

I've had this with bought nets, you need to pull them up tight right from the word go, thats why I advocate a plastic mesh stick with the front face tapered down to a fairly sharp edge so the knot snugs down well as you tie it.

Hope that makes some sense, I've offered to put some pics up if anyone is interested but no take up so far so wouldn't want to waste space on the site.