Steel Shot

My local clay ground sells Gamebore Steel shot and have an information poster up explaining a few facts about Steel shot. The information seems to be a Gamebore publication and the bit that really intrested me was where it said that steel shot cartridges were fine to through shotguns that are not proofed for it. The reason they give for this is was that because the steel is contained in the plastic cup of the wad it never actually comes into contact with the interior of the barrel.

Has anyone ever heard this before?

Many Thanks

Dodgemball

Only with heavy steel loads does your gun need to be proofed for it. As far as I'm aware, it's the pressure which decides whether steel is safe to use in your gun. There was an article about it in Sporting Shooter a couple of months back. They said it was safe to use in any modern gun with 2 3/4 inch chambers but not with older guns.

Trussman I know the cartridge makers say it is safe to use up to 32 gr loads of steel in a 2 3\4 inch chambered gun , but it is doubtful if it is suitable . After shooting a couple of thousand gamebore and express 32 gr steel loads through a fairly new AYA no 3 it was shaken to bits. The gun is so lose that its no longer usable even after being to the gunsmiths to be tightened after a handful of shots it rattles again.

My advice would be use a 3 inch chambered gun for the light steel loads and if you want to use the heavy steel loads go up to a 3 1\2 inch chambered gun.

Edited by anser2

hmmm, now ya mention it. Your quite right, I wouldn't feel happy with the Steel field cartridges in a gun. I thought Dodgemball was talking about the Gamebore White Gold steel clay load. As far as I'm aware they use a light 24gram load so the pressure won't be as great as a heavier load

Hi. Just make sure you open up your choke. and that your chamber is ok for the shell's that you are useing. One could argue that a larger chamber would let gas past the wad and reducing the thrust of your shot load, and what you need with steel is to propell it as fast as possible as it is lighter than lead. So do not restrict it through a tight choke. :stupid:

My local clay ground sells Gamebore Steel shot and have an information poster up explaining a few facts about Steel shot. The information seems to be a Gamebore publication and the bit that really intrested me was where it said that steel shot cartridges were fine to through shotguns that are not proofed for it. The reason they give for this is was that because the steel is contained in the plastic cup of the wad it never actually comes into contact with the interior of the barrel.

Has anyone ever heard this before?

Many Thanks

Dodgemball

Read the same thing at the ground i shoot at i use 28g in my 682 E Gold :look: :/