Favourite Game cartridge.

dodeer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of you get chance, try the victory Europa. It is a cypriot cart and the pattern as well as the speed are quite breathtaking. I was knocking down partridge 10 yards further than I would have felt comfortable with, had I been using the express. If you can find them, give them a go.

Jim

For game shooting this season i have changed to Eley VIP 30g pdp wad 6 shot from hull cartridge high pheasent after 8 years. So far after about 6 days pheasent shooting and one partridge day they seem ok to me i had some nice high ones but a few runners as well last weekend, but i think my fault not the cartridges.

For pigeons Kent Velocity ( Gamebore ) 32g 6 shot plas. cheep and very good its a Clear Pigeon in a different box with different writing on the case that make it cheaper.

I also have shot RC Sipe 32g 5 shot plas wads for two years now, when I need them for both the above and **** i never shot a game shell that good before, but Sterlings are close behind I think and alot more money.

It might amaze some shooters what you can kill with 30 gms of No7 shot, of course the gun has to be in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing. :lol::D

Regularly shoot 28g 71/2's for pigeon in fact never shoot anything heavier for them.

IMO 32g 6's are overkill for decoying pigeons.

I did go to a days pheasant drive in Scotland earlier this year (Jan) and didn't realise untill after that me and my mate had packed the wrong shells 'Lyalvale Express World Cup 28g No. 8s' guess who got high gun. Pheasants where dead in the air no joke.

P.S. I wouldn't shoot 28g 8s at pheasants out of choice.

I was speaking to a keeper about shot size in a twenty not to long ago - he uses severns. What he said was that the penetration and killing power from half a douzen or so sevens is better than the equivilent in sixes at the same range (Ie at 30yds 3 sixes would hit with less effect than 6 severs, if you catch my drift) :lol:

I've been shooting some 45g mini magnums at ducks, but they are a bit thin on the ground now so I will be needing to get a new load for the quackers. Aled, whats the make of the ones that you said you use? A mate gave me some good advice, but I want to see if it matches up with everone else's views. He has been known to have strong opinons :D:lol:

Red

Earlier this year I bought some 7.5,s for a clay shoot and my gunshop man said "Try these, a lot of the lads are using them for pigeons as well"

A couple of months later we were going pigeon/crow shooting when I realised that I was short of my normal 6,s so I took the 7.5,s along as well.

I put a 7.5 in the chamber of my auto and 2 of my usual 6,s in the magazine.

I was amazed at the number of outright kills I was getting with my first shot and continued using this method until they were all gone.

Being somewhat of a traditionalist though I haven't bought any more although I have certainly changed ny opinion on their suitability for decoying.

Don't ask as I can't remember the brand. :*)

the 20's ive used were Yellow, 28gram i think and i'm not sure but possibly Eley. it was my uncle's cartridges and guns.

all the 410's ive used are Express 2 1/2" 14gram no 5's and 6's..

all the 12bores... ive got 100 Remington 30gram's size 6's but not many left.. ive got 1000 Express 28gram size 8 for clays.

and i have Express 32grams 4's and 5's for game.

Aled

the 20's ive used were Yellow, 28gram i think and i'm not sure but possibly Eley. it was my uncle's cartridges and guns.

all the 410's ive used are Express 2 1/2" 14gram no 5's and 6's..

all the 12bores... ive got 100 Remington 30gram's size 6's but not many left.. ive got 1000 Express 28gram size 8 for clays.

and i have Express 32grams 4's and 5's for game.

Aled

All twentys are yellow :lol: But so are some twelves so dont trust the colour. I've got my game and clay loads to a tee, just need to find a decent duck load which doesnt break the bank and does the business.

If ti goes bang and brings down the birdies I'm happy.

Saying that I've tried eley 6 1/2's on crows and doo's was most impressed with the performance used the left overs on pheasants again very impressed. went to get more carts and they only had 7's tried them and couldn't hit jack. Have since bought 5's and the birdies are falling again.

Squint

I agree with cranners and jonny ni, I use 7 1/2 for woodcock pigeons snipe rabbits, but I use 7's for driven pheasants. I have also shot many foxes while out rough shooting with 7's, but these were just oportunist shots and I wouldn't normally use 7's for foxes.

i use gameobre white gold 7 1/2 28g (recent convert)

sometimes gamebore clear pigeon 30g 6

on bigger bag days (higher birds) i use gamebore super game 32g 5

as far as pigeon i use whatever but prefer 7/12 for deeking and the 5's for roost shooting.

Crows i use the 5's and rabbits again the 5's