Favourite Game cartridge.

dodeer

got a big 'black' family shoot.. theres 6 of us i think set up in hides around a few fields where there are game covers where my uncle has his shoots.. and he told me today that he is having trouble with crows, jackdaws etc.. so the target is 200.

might buy 100carts of Express 32g 5's or 6's..... or 30g 5's or 6's?

want your views on this! 32g's or 30g's if shooting 100carts.. i preferre the 32g as it gives more of a punch and that little bit more of a distance.. but then 30g's are supposed to be lighter on shoulder. but i find my remington 30g 6's give more of a kick than my express 32g 4's/5's.

Aled

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigger, heavier cartridges dont give you more range just more pellets! Same as chokes, full choke only goes 3 yards further than cylinder choke!

Your not mounting the gun correctly if 30g are recoiling, the browning Citori is no lightweight! Crows, rooks, jays etc are all killed cleanly with 28g 6's, you dont need 4 or 5's except for really high phessies. Where i go beating some of the birds go over the guns at 50 yards and are killed easily with 30g 5 or 6 shot, it the shooter which matters! Find one cartridge and stick with it. Try and use felt wad as well, no need to litter the land with plastic which takes 100's of years to break down.

With TX Sniper on my choice

I use gamebore super game 32g 5

Could do with some info on what people are using for Duck in the non toxic range.

Have got a 3" O/U which I use for wildfowling and duck flighting which I use steels thru.

But when out on a game day I use my S/S which is a 2 3/4" chamber and am using some Bismith carts. Not too happy with them and have used most of them now any way so am looking to see what else is about for this.

Trev

These technical statements need to be backed up by scientific or hard facts, who says that full choke only goes 3 yards further? What conditions, wind direction, speed, time lapse between tests etc., you all know what I am getting at.As I have said before we are all different, guns, chokes, everything is variable.I think Sellior & Belliot are brilliant because they kill well but are very cheap.If you do not like Horlicks or Ovaltine try reading Shotgunning the art & science by Bob Brister,High Pheasants By Sir Ralph Payne -Gallway, Shotgun by Teasdale-Buckell.Me I prefer going up the hedgerow and having a shot at sporting quarry.

Salopian

i bought 175 32g 5's for the crows.. and 50 32g 6's and 25 32g 4's :/

Aled

You got 32g 4's for crows? Are you crazy? ? I think your shoulder may be hurting at the end of the day if you fire the 200 cartridges you think you will...!!

Why would his shoulder be hurting? A 32 gram load isn't that heavy, and just because the shot size is 4's it doesnt mean that the recoil will be any worse. A 32 gram load is a 32 gram load regardless of the shot size. And if the guys shooting them through an auto then the recoil would be further reduced.

The fact it was 4's for crows is the bit I thought was a bit crazy. If they hit the full pattern it sure isn't going to be pretty. Fair play the crows aren't going to be eaten but it is (in my opinion) serious overkill. I still think he will have a sore shoulder -remember he's only 15.

i bought 175 32g 5's for the crows.. and 50 32g 6's and 25 32g 4's :/

Aled

You got 32g 4's for crows? Are you crazy? ? I think your shoulder may be hurting at the end of the day if you fire the 200 cartridges you think you will...!!

Why would his shoulder be hurting? A 32 gram load isn't that heavy, and just because the shot size is 4's it doesnt mean that the recoil will be any worse. A 32 gram load is a 32 gram load regardless of the shot size. And if the guys shooting them through an auto then the recoil would be further reduced.

I think the point that Teal is trying to make is that 32g 5s for crows is a total overkill and more costly than needs be. 28g 71/2s are more than enough to bring a crow/pigeon down up to 30-35 yards. 28g carts will therefore be easier on your shoulder after firing 200 shots.

What young Aled is buying 32g 4s for is beyond me as he makes no reference to them being steel shot so therefore couldn't be used for wildfowling. And on a flight pond (if steel) the duck would be like a set of bagpipes.

I still think he will have a sore shoulder -remember he's only 15.

AH but do remember who we are talking about here, the lad who has been there,done it all and got all the T shirts. :/

I think that the No 4's are not for the crows either and that is just the way he phrased his letter. He PROBERLY wont say what they are for but I have my suspicions. :<

and 50 6's for crows aswell.. the shop wouldnt let me buy 6's as he's a gay.

Take the 4s and 5s back and buy 32g 6s and use those for the rabbits, crows, and game.

You will then not have to break your gun to change cartridges with every different quarry, and you will have an effective pattern for all 3 (at a sensible range not your usual 60-70 yrds) :)

its 175 5's for the Crows.. and 50 6's for crows aswell.. the shop wouldnt let me buy 6's as he's a gay.

the 4's are for rabbits and game.

Aled

Is there a big part of that statement that makes no sense whatsoever. Its a bit like an optical illusion. You keep looking at trying to work it out but in the end it just hurts your head.

Jim

don't go very often shot gun shooting because we don't have many game you can shoot with the shot gun. But on pigeons while decoying i had good results with sporting catridges (rottweils special trap, 28 gramms, 2,4mm).

On mallards i use Rottweil Special 12 F with 32 Gramm of shot number 6 (2,7mm).

Best wishes, Hubertus