Favourite Game cartridge.

dodeer

its 175 5's for the Crows.. and 50 6's for crows aswell.. the shop wouldnt let me buy 6's as he's a gay.

the 4's are for rabbits and game.

Aled

Is there a big part of that statement that makes no sense whatsoever. Its a bit like an optical illusion. You keep looking at trying to work it out but in the end it just hurts your head.

Jim

Righto,

lets get down to it. You say twice thta the "gay bloke" in the shop would not sell you six's. This you have posted twice. Yet in thew same post you state that you will be using 50 No6's. Where did you get them from. The sixes. Where. Did you or your dad make them? Were they in a cupboard in the coffee shed, forgotten about until Mum was clearing out the discarded tea bags and rotting fox carcasses?

I am Sir, simply stupefied

Jim

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Country est, i tried some 40g hevi-shot on fri night whilst out wildfowling. i only fired the one round but shot two canada's at about 35 yards. Its an f'in expensive cart but i was happy with the result. this was the first time i had been wildfowling and for the amount of time i would go i wouldnt mind buying them.

I stick to one cart for every thing but waterfowl ie eley impax 28gram no6, fibre wads not the cheapest but I am well happy with them, pheasant taken very clean with them and provided I dont take silly on top of me shots spot on for pigeon as well? for the ducks I will only use tungten matrix? bismuth is ****! steel is worse so again eley's for me no5s cost 42 quid for 50, but as I only shoot duck max once a week and am lucky to get off say a dozen shots its not that bad.

cheers Keith

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends whether you are decoying or roost shooting. This is because sometimes when you're roost shooting you are taking birds as they are flying over the trees whereas when decoying they are coming straight in.

I use 7 1/2 28g for decoying and 7 32g for roost shooting.

It seems everybody (obviously) has their own preferences, but they can't all be correct, the fact remains you cannot alter the laws of physics and ballistics. When I was deciding what cartridges to use in my sidelock game gun the ballistics favoured 1oz of 7's to provide adequate patterns and sufficient killing power for pheasants etc (in terms of ft/lb) at quite distant ranges up to and including 45 yards, now I would hazard a guess most people have never seen a pheasant at this height let alone shot one, remember it's a tall tree indeed that tops 75ft (25 yards)in England, this at least is how it was explained to me and consquently I have always favoured 1oz of 7's for just about everything,and as yet I have not found anything that I might encounter on a normal days shooting that was not dead in the air with regularity, I have flirted with other combinations of course out of curiosity to see if I could improve on things but keep coming back to 1oz of 7's. Try it, it works.