What range to zero at!

rjimmer

I zeroed my .22 at 70yds (just sold it, .17 has made it redundent).

My .17rem is zeroed @ 200yards, with a trajectory that is almost point of aim @ 50yds, 1 1/4" high at 100yds, spot on at 200yds and wait for it -8" @ 300yds.

The above is based on a 20gVmax head loaded with blue dot, shotgun powder, this is a reduced load which works wonders in my rifle, obviously with the correct load and a heavier head, the distance and trajectory will be better.

It would help if people stated what weight of heads they are using.

As for the .243  shooting point of aim at 100yds, you must be doing woodland shooting I take it, Your the first person that I have came across thats bang on at 100yds.

My 243 with 100g btsp zeroed to 200yds hits + 1.6"  at 100yds and -7.2" at 300yds.

My 270 with 140g btsp zeroed at 200yds is + 1.6"  at 100yds and -7" at 300yds.

Lets asume the 223 is firing nosler Balistic tips and the rifle is zeroed  zeroed at 100yds,

50yds -0.3"

100    zero

200    -2.7"

300    -10.9"

I used to think if I zeroed my 22.250 at 1" high at 100yds it would be bang on at 200yds and 2" low at 300yds, it would amaze you the amount of surprise you get when peopl actualy find out how much a bullet drops.

I would recomend to any fox shooter that their rifle be zeroed at 200yds to help those tricky longer shots.

If I was shooting deer in a woodland situation,  my rifle would also be zeroed point of aim at 100yds.

we all have our own ideas about this, if it works for you, then dont change what you curently have your rifle zeroed at, on the other hand if you tend to have shots that you were not to happy with at the further ranges then adjust your zero to accomadate those ranges.

I could go on, but I have an apointment with a nice roe and my new profesional mincer, will have 25Lbs of prime burgers in the next 2 hours.

anyone wants the recipe drop me a line,

my burgers are famous within my circle of friends and family.

regards

Ian

• 3 weeks later...