What a good % for a beginner?

George1990

I believe that 60% is good for a beginner, if you are shooting that sort of average consistently then you have good grounding to build on.

Yes, they reckon 60% is what you should be aiming at on club targets, obviously lower on registered comps.

It might still be an idea to get a bit of tuition, because you might be disappointed with your progress.

I started off in the mid-60's and made painfully slow progress, so that I could get in the low 80's on a good day. But generally, I'm still farting around in the 70's after three years or so. I can't seem to get any better, I think it's a mental attitude thing with me :hmm: I say this because I tend to hit the hard ones and miss the bread & butter stuff :good: It drives me mad.

Or it could be that I'm **** ???

Edited by Chard

Don't forget sporting is variable format and not fixed like trap or skeet, so you can't really judge how good you are by shooting one ground.

They may be good scores, they may not, it depends how hard the layout is set.

Wookie has supplied you with at least 4 excuses, write those down, they may come in handy :good:

Well i shot at Hawley at the weekend and me gun broke on the first clay - Firing pin was shy and didn't want to come out!! The ground very kindly lent me a gun to finish the round and managed a p**s poor 52/100. Can't even blame it on the borrowed gun 'cos i was getting 5's and 6's on most of the stands which proves i can hit them, but just not consistently. I think achieving a consistent score is where the true standard lies.

Oh well, keep practising i s'pose

Been shooting about 5 times at Southdown Sporting Gun Club in West Sussex and I'm wondering what other beginners have scored. My best two scores were 58% and 59%, which i thought was quite good :good: Be brutal, is that a reasonable score or should I get some lessons? :hmm:

Considering where you are shooting (assuming you're shooting ESP) around the 60% mark ain't too bad, I know some people that have shot there a while and still shoot around that mark.

Do yourself a favour and once you are happy that you're coming along nicely visit a different ground or two, you may be pleasantly surprised and find that your average will increase somewhat ???

Edited by tosspot

Been shooting about 5 times at Southdown Sporting Gun Club in West Sussex and I'm wondering what other beginners have scored. My best two scores were 58% and 59%, which i thought was quite good :friends: Be brutal, is that a reasonable score or should I get some lessons? ???

Been shooting about 5 times at Southdown Sporting Gun Club in West Sussex and I'm wondering what other beginners have scored. My best two scores were 58% and 59%, which i thought was quite good :) Be brutal, is that a reasonable score or should I get some lessons? ???

Considering where you are shooting (assuming you're shooting ESP) around the 60% mark ain't too bad, I know some people that have shot there a while and still shoot around that mark.

Do yourself a favour and once you are happy that you're coming along nicely visit a different ground or two, you may be pleasantly surprised and find that your average will increase somewhat :yes:

George if you are getting that score down the lane at southdown then you are doing well ,some pretty tough targets down there,you will struggle to find tougher,if you want lessons then Duncan or John will put you right top chaps.

I'd say it was good. I have trouble reaching that now, but that's because I have a new gun and the chokes are set for pigeons and not clays.

And it was windy the last time.

and the sun was in my eyes all day.

And they weren't my usual cartridges

:good::hmm: I use those all the time wookie, one of my favourites was blaming the orrible trigger pulls on my XTR :yes::P

I even start thinking of excuses and scape goats on my way to the clay ground so Ive got a few lined up in case im shooting terrible! :P

i started shooting dtl early this year and have increased from 50 to 70%,i always hit the hard ones but cant get peg 5.

i was practising last night and raised my head just a little and managed to hit 2 lines of 25/75. so stick at it and have a lesson or two eventually you will try something and everything will click into place.

Get lesson ASAP.

The most difficult pupil is the self taught, listened to my mates and watched a video - shooter, who progresses brilliantly at first then reaches a plateau of performance they cant break.

Why? Because they have now got instilled bad habits, that have moved into the sub-conscious and are hard to retrain.

If you want to progress beyond being a 60% shooter for the rest of your life, get lessons from a knowledgeable coach NOW.

You will never regret it.

Pretty good I reckon! Starting out just a few months ago... its the elusive 50% that I've found a hard target........... at Sporting (Salop Sniper will vouch for that after I've missed 50% by 2 or 3 clays, and not spoken to anyone at the pub after for being gutted!)

Skeet differs I think as the similarity of clay makes for a better percentage! :good:

• 1 month later...
Get lesson ASAP.

The most difficult pupil is the self taught, listened to my mates and watched a video - shooter, who progresses brilliantly at first then reaches a plateau of performance they cant break.

Why? Because they have now got instilled bad habits, that have moved into the sub-conscious and are hard to retrain.

If you want to progress beyond being a 60% shooter for the rest of your life, get lessons from a knowledgeable coach NOW.

You will never regret it.

I would agree with Clayman . Shooting is difficult enough even when you have been well taught. Once you pick up bad habits they can be nearly impossible to dislodge. I have lost count of the number of self taught / taught by their mate shooters who never rise above mediocre . They are usually the ones you see on a layout thowing their shells on the ground , swearing at themselves and looking miserable. Take Clayman's advice and get proper lessons right at the beginning , even with a loan gun . You need to learn the basics correctly so you can progress to better things . It may seem expensive but over a lfetime of shooting it isn't ! :welcomeani:

Tony

Edited by tonyk

:D:lol: I use those all the time wookie, one of my favourites was blaming the orrible trigger pulls on my XTR :crazy::cry1:

I even start thinking of excuses and scape goats on my way to the clay ground so Ive got a few lined up in case im shooting terrible! :cry1:

What happened to the positive mental attitude bit!

Don't tell me....went the same way as mine.....up in smoke with the first shot :welcomeani:

Managed 49/100 first time out for a while last Sunday.....can't hit crossers for some reason tho I'm ok on the real thing!! :hmm: