Shooting in the reading area

Does anyone know of any clay grounds (sporting preferred) in the reading area that allow beginners (i.e. those without an SGC) to shoot? I have tried Lains, but found them too far and awkward, and West London Sporting Targets, but found them dissatisfying and too expensive. Ihave had Three Counties recommended to me, but have as yet been unable to contact them. Any clay ground MUST shoot on Saturdays as the beginner in question spends his Sundays showjumping and we are both in full-time education. They should not be much more than about 40 miles from Reading. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello

Shame you can't do Sundays, as Happy Valley (CLICK HERE>> LINK <<) run a fifty-clay sporting shoot, with a different layout each time. They are a very helpful bunch, welcoming to newcomers, beginners/non-SGC holders. They are very close to Reading, just south of the M4 not far from the M4/A33 junction.

They run on Thursday evenings during the summer months, but unfortunately for you, have just gone back to doing alternate Sundays for the autumn/winter.

I live very close to Reading, but am not sure of any clubs that run locally on a Saturday though, sorry.

Have you tried any of the clubs around the High Wycombe area? Churchills Clay Shooting ground??

Good luck in your search and :good: to PW :lol:

Hello

Shame you can't do Sundays, as Happy Valley (CLICK HERE>> LINK <<) run a fifty-clay sporting shoot, with a different layout each time. They are a very helpful bunch, welcoming to newcomers, beginners/non-SGC holders. They are very close to Reading, just south of the M4 not far from the M4/A33 junction.

They run on Thursday evenings during the summer months, but unfortunately for you, have just gone back to doing alternate Sundays for the autumn/winter.

I live very close to Reading, but am not sure of any clubs that run locally on a Saturday though, sorry.

Have you tried any of the clubs around the High Wycombe area? Churchills Clay Shooting ground??

Good luck in your search and ??? to PW ;)

Thanks, yeah I already shoot at Happy Valley, but any time other than Saturday or weekdays after about 16:30 will be a problem for my friend. I looked at Churchills, but they seemed way expensive.

Your only real hope on a Saturday will be shooting schools, and they are expensive I am afriad.

Here is your nearest one to add to the list:

http://www.rbss.co.uk/

Unless you know differently I think you will find 3 Counties is dead and buried, 4 Counties (Newbury way) is very good but Sundays only.

3 Counties is still going, but that is shot 2 Sundays every month.

If you want a Saturday shoot then try here http://www.frobury.co.uk/ShootingClub.htm

3 Counties is still going, but that is shot 2 Sundays every month.

Do you have any details?

I know someone who has been trying to get hold of them for ages and resorted to going along to the ground randomly one Sunday only to find it all locked up with no sign of life at all.

Yes mate.

Contact Simon or Alison on 07887716857 or 01635299800

Remaining shoots this year :

September 21st

October 5th & 19th

November 2nd, 16th, & 30th

December 14th & 28th

Fibre-wad only, 100-bird shoot or you can shoot 50. £28 non-members, £25 members, yearly membership £50 which includes a round of 100 clays. Clubshouse where they sell tea, coffee, bacon rolls ect also gamebore cartridges available.

Is this the 3 Counties ground near Basingstoke / Hook Area ?.

If so that means they are now shooting opposing Sundays to Popham which makes it a good bet for shooting every weekend without going to Wallers Ash.

trev

Certainly is, we stopped going to Popham and Wallers Ash a while a go now as they both got really busy.

There is also a pretty good shoot at Andwell which runs on opposite Sundays to 3 Counties.

Edited by bisondan

Thanks Bisondan :lol: I will pass that on, as above, is this at the original Hook site where it used be back in the Purbeck days?

Yes it is, google map link below. The site is always open for fishing (except when the shoot is on) and the gate is always closed at the request of the farmer as he doesn't want the place to look 'open' to everyone ie poachers and ******.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just to dog this one up again,

Has anybody got a list of the shoot dates for 3 counties for this year, 2009. Have shot popham on the 18th and didnt go to 3 counties on the 25th as had other things to do, but mate went past and said it looked closed and couldnt hear any shooting.

So just wondering if anybody has a list of dates.

Cheers

Trev