Lamping foxes

Steve

Hiya Steve

We shoot the foxes on the estate by flushing them out of the woods.I've seen a few at night with the rifle,but never had a shot because I was'nt confident that I'd bring them down.Those big orange eye's are spooky are'nt they.Myself & Kev went lamping for rabbits with the shotguns,that was real good fun.Luckily for us the rabbits seemed to try & sit & hide rather than run.What was really funny was when Kev put a rabbit in my rucksack & 10 minutes later it was still kicking me in the back.If you know where the den is I reckon you have a good chance of waiting for the fox to come back.

Hi Steve,

The most important thing is the most obvious,make sure the wind is ALWAYS blowing from the fox to you,if he catches your scent,forget it.Be aware that a fox will try to move around you to catch your scent,keep moving to outsmart him.

For shotgun work I like to use a red filter on the lamp as I dont think charlie likes the heat from a white light on his eyes.

A good mouth call is the PRIMOS PREDATOR,takes a little practice but sounds good.I must admit that most of my foxes are shot with a .243,lazy I know! :(

Thanks Deako - I'll look out for that mouth call the next time I'm in my local gunshop.  You're right, a .243 is a lazy way of lamping - but a fun way too I bet!

While we're on the subject of lamping, has anyone ever used night vision scopes, binos etc?  Are they any good?

Steve

Hiya Steve

I'd love to have some night vision bino's! The young woman over the road keeps complaining about a light blinding her in her bedroom!!  :evil:

Oh no! I wish I had'nt put that!This will put Kev onto his favorite subject!Mind you they do say those that always talk about it...........................

• 1 month later...

A good way to call foxes is using a piece of polystyrene and glass i.e jeep window, try a very loud squeak for about 20 secs then wait 1 min then some quieter squeaks and wait keep the lamp on at all times and dont let anyone get in front on the light or the beam, if the fox see's anything suspect he will turn and run, always try and stay upwind so he doesn't get your scent, I often find a breeze and a bit of drizzle seems to bring them out, theres always plenty of wet days in this country,

Regards

David

Not bad actually!  I've been very busy the last couple of weeks with various sheep farmers who have asked me to sort out Charlie for them.  One ****** in particular took two nights to whack!  The first night he took a lamb right in front of me (but out of range of the shotgun).  On the second evening I switched his lights out with a .22 hollowpoint at @ 80yds or so.  :)

Hows this for **** law?

Went lamping last night for hours outside a wood that contains a couple of good foxes,called and called,tried all the tricks but never saw a thing.........Today I was set up pigeon shooting under an oak in the same wood,and left the hide to prop up a dead bird,when I returned a lovely fox was halfway in the hide to help himself to a free lunch!!! Of course,only a d**khead would have left his gun in the hide.....er.... :(

Hiya Deako

What about this then? I was out pigeon shooting the other day & I left the hide to pick up some birds. When I turned back, there was a RAT running down the hedgerow towards my hide. You know, nothing really bothers me apart from RATS! If I see one, Kev usually shouts "Run Forest, Run". I'd also left my gun in the hide. After waiting for it to disapear, I legged it back to the hide & stood glued to the spot, on full alert. I could'nt compose myself, so I had to pack up & leave. So your right! Never leave your gun in the hide!