CPSA

dustyfox

I am interested to know, what keeps people from joining the CPSA.

I know hundreds of good clay shooters who refuse point blank, to joining. I want to know what it is that they dont like?

The sport is finding it harder to get shooters willing to shoot for thier county.

What puts people off and what can the CPSA do about it?

I will present this report and reports on other forums to the current chairman of the CPSA, Mr Terry Bobbit at the next AGM.

I for one find the cost of membership off putting. But to shoot for your county you need to be a full member.

I already have a better insurance with another organisation as it covers me for all shooting not just clays like the CPSA.

I think they should offer another level of membership, which doesnt include the insurance. This would then make it a bit more bearable for shooters like myself, who are insured by another company, to be able to afford the membership.

Also the cost of shooting is going up due to cartridge costs. As yet the grounds are trying hard not to increase the cost of clays. It is thier interest to get shooters through the doors after all.

What do you all think and if things changed whould you reconsider joining?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I've always been a member of the BASC, and find two lots of charges impossible. However as I shoot far more clays than anything else these days, due to a grave lack of land, I was considering swapping to CPSA.

Mind you, I do get the impression - mostly from internet posts rather than from when I speak to real people - that my semi-auto seems to make me a second-class citizen, despite the CPSA actually having a picture of one on the front page of thier website.

Dustyfox,

CPSA insurance covers you for more than just clays:

• Clay Pigeon / Target Shooting

• Game Shooting

• Rough Shooting

• Vermin Control

• Wild Fowling

• Rifle Shooting (inc stalking)

• Hunting (including falconry)

• Angling (including wading)

This is in the current Members Insurance information leaflet here.

When I started clay shooting I joined the CPSA, but I let my membership lapse after the first year as I didn't really get much out of it.

I am already insured through the BASC and to be honest I found the membership magazine "Pull" a bit of a yawn.

The fact that "to shoot for your county you need to be a full member" doesn't really worry me - not being able to hit the bloody clays is much more of a barrier to my dreams of Olympic Gold in 2012...

Dustyfox,

CPSA insurance covers you for more than just clays:

• Game Shooting

• Rough Shooting

• Vermin Control

• Wild Fowling

This is in the current Members Insurance information leaflet here.

Does this insurance come as standard when you join the CPSA?

I'm a paid up member and want to try some game shooting in the near future.

What (if anything) do i need to prove that i have this insurance?

Nick

And for those too lazy to do even that....

Civil Liability Cover

Your Civil / Legal Liability to pay legal defence costs and

compensatory awards in respect of claims made against the

Association (or its members) arising from:

Any authorised or recognised activity of the

Association (CPSA) including:

• Game Shooting

• Rough Shooting

• Vermin Control

• Wild Fowling

Excluded Activities

• Combat / Practical Shooting

• Equestrian Mounted Sports

• Fishing from Boats or Ships

Limit of Indemnity

£5,000,000 any one claim and limited to this amount in the

aggregate for the policy period in respect of Products Liability &

Professional Indemnity covers.

Cover is provided on a worldwide basis for UK/EIRE domiciled members

but subject to prior advice of travel to the USA or Canada detailing the

location, duration and proposed activities during the visit(s).

Excess

£0 in respect of bodily injury claims.

Principle Exclusions:

• Criminal Acts of the insured

• Loss or Damage to own property (including whilst in use)

• Product Guarantee, recall or replacement

• Ownership or use of Aircraft, Hovercraft, Water-bourne craft or vehicles

licensed for use on the road

• Fines, penalties, punitive or exemplary damages

Dusty, hat off to you but this seems a lot of effort on your part all of a sudden.

Are you going to travel down and present the findings at the AGM personally? By the time you've paid your travel, lodgings and expenses it's going to cost a tidy sum. Are you sure it's worth the effort :good:

Dusty, hat off to you but this seems a lot of effort on your part all of a sudden.

Are you going to travel down and present the findings at the AGM personally? By the time you've paid your travel, lodgings and expenses it's going to cost a tidy sum. Are you sure it's worth the effort :good:

I have put this up on behalf of somebody else.

He wants your opinions on CPSA and your input would be helpful.

What do you and do you not like about CPSA?

Df

what i dont like is they are a bunch of idiots.

2 years on the trot they have renewed my membership yet failed to read my new address on the application form.

the 'major' competitions are completely pants, poorly run and un exciting, no one hangs around at the end of the shoots.

the whole classification system rewards cheaters with **** payout to the top classes.

and the biggest gripe is if you do complain, they do f3ck all about it.

to who ever is doing the report your wasting your time as they probably wont read or take any notice anyway

Edited by Emmsy

• 1 month later...

Well emms heated reply & I don't blame you I agree we seem to get very little for our monie & I think that most people join for the Insurance. I feel we get no support from our CEO (also on the GBCTSF board) to create a strong future for the sport & even less support for the minority groups i.e. Disabled who have no classification (not even standing - sitting) & are not represented national by the CPSA board as Phil said not enough ( well no wonder when they do not classify us or promote disable shooting) thats my bitching for the day. Well done & Thanks to Paul P for organising the shoot for disabled in Sussex it was a great shoot & I believe both able body & disabled shooters enjoyed the two days thank you Paul.

Dusty,

A few facts about the CPSA and the way it's run:

1. You cannot just jump up at the AGM & present your report, the rules of the meeting don't allow it, you have to notify them in writing at least 6 weeks in advance of any item you want on the agenda.

2. I've been a CPSA member for about 25 years, and in all that time, the Association has always been badly run, in the eyes of most of it's members, I simply cannot remember a time when members have been anything but critical.

3. The CPSA are unlikely ever to offer membership without compulsory insurance, they would be heavily criticised for acting negligently.

4. "Clubman" membership is available at cheaper rates than full membership.

5. As Emmsy quite rightly says, the quality of the major Sporting competitions has plummeted to an all time low, this years British Open at Southern Counties being a good example, a complete shambles with entries at less than 600. Ten years ago they were getting entries of 1500+. I don't agree with Emmsy about them not listening, they've always listened to me, I suppose a lot depends on how you phrase the question, although there's no excuse for not changing address details?

6. There are major threats to the sport now looming, namely lead & noise pollution. These issues are not going to go away, they will become political hot potatoes, particularly lead pollution.

Like you, I can see numbers falling at many of the grounds I visit, it's an expensive sport and it's the first thing to go when money gets tight. Some grounds will survive, others will probably fold.

Good luck with your report.

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

I wrapped in when they tried to change the name....trying to get away from the "pigeon" thing....

Also i stopped shooting registered shoots so when i asked them to renew as a "Clubman" member because i could nominate my local ground if i wanted to shoot registered they said NO....

They said i had to let my membership lapse for a year and rejoin then!!!!

If they were prepared to lose me for a year they couldnt have been that bothered about me in the first place......

Now with NGO for insurance....about the same price as clubman membership..... :lol:

Shaun

The CPSA are the lead body for clay pigeon shooting, and it is via their grading system and competitions etc that we get county, regional and national champions. As such clay shooters should support the CPSA.

Lets not forget that on an international level the UK does pretty well at shooting, better over all I would suggest than many sports.

OK the CPSA are not perfect, no organisation is.BUT the CPSA is an association of members so it is up to the members to do something about it – and certainly getting some good customer feedback is a good step.

I agree (and I am NOT wanting to knock the CPSA as I know BASC does not always get it right!) but I have to say some of the things they have done over the last 5 years or so make me wonder what is going on.

Am I right or have the number of registered grounds almost halved in the last few years? Am I right that there are no more registered grounds above South Manchester in England? If so surely this is wrong- there are some very good shooters in the North – so they should have the same opportunity to shoot and get graded as the ‘southerners’

Just my two penneth!

David

Am I right or have the number of registered grounds almost halved in the last few years? Am I right that there are no more registered grounds above South Manchester in England? If so surely this is wrong- there are some very good shooters in the North �" so they should have the same opportunity to shoot and get graded as the ‘southerners’

Just my two penneth!

David

There isn't one in South Manchester any more, because Worsley got de-registered by the CPSA, because they wouldn't accept all their ****. There was a shoot there last year or early this year, and all the prima donnas who didn't get a big score complained to the CPSA, who tried to get heavy with Worsley and they fell out :hmm:

I think the feeling there is good riddance, too much hassle. I saw the correspondence and I can verify that it was a bunch of garbage, lies and exaggeration. :lol:

The CPSA and their prima donna members are their own worst enemy when it comes to finding grounds to host their bunfights. It amazes me that any ground still hosts them :hmm:

I did know about Worsley (I know the owner) but it still brings me back to the point- what about the clay shooters in the North of England?

Surely the CPSA are not going to just turn their backs on them?

Again I stress hits is not me having a go at the CPSA! I fully support them because they are the only representative organisation for competition clay shooting - and this sport needs support!

I do feel though that there is an increasing need for non competitive clay shooting opportunities – with clay pigeons representing true live quarry flight lines etc for the live quarry shooter – who does not want to shoot at mico clays travelling at 70mph at 50m!

I plan to build a database of such grounds and promote them through the BASC web site and Shooting & Conservation- I will start a different thread on this as I don’t want to hijack this one.

David

CPSA

There are grounds in the north that are cpsa registered like NORTH OF ENGLAND ,BYWELL and some more

I am fed up with the CPSA because they just dont care about their members when you try and talk to them at the game fair they dont have the time for you .When you contact them they dont reply, when you email them with questions they can not be bothered to reply, and they are all ways breaking their own rules.

I sent an enquiary to them about what should hapen when a championship is abandoned ,like this years British open Single barrel DTL. They did not reply after about 15 emails to GRANT DURROL no reply.

I went to take this further through their official complaints procedure and I found out that they have broken their own rules as they rescheduled it without the proper notice and didnt put it in the pull mag or on the web with the correct notice .Have they answered my origional questions !!!! NO have they appoloigised NO what have they done THEY HAVE OFFERED ME £20 OFF MY MEMBERSHIP TO KEEP THIS to my self AND TO FORGET ABOUT IT their last email said that if I accecpt this this will BE THE END OF THIS COMPLAINT .Thats fine for them another one swept under the carpet and we all keep the fat cat saleries

lets see an apollogy in the pull mag not to me but to the MEMBERS as its them they let down

We just want an association that works for us not against us just look at there standards and tell me how HIGH TOWER SHOOTING GROUND is a premier ground and ORSTON SHOOTING GROUND is not .High Tower is just some old traps and a concrete hut with a superser heater when ORSTON offers 7 different shooting DISIPLINS with a club house that puts most village hall to shame some people put in to a ground what the customer will like and some just take your money and take the ****

I hope that we have a reply from some one at the CPSA HQ on this forum on this topic

I wait their reply

sorry about the spelling I am sitting hear having a hypo and munching glucose tab and eyes not good

DEERSHOOTER CPSA No 104695 expired and waiting to decide if I will renew

Dean

Edited by deershooter

There are still a number of registered grounds above South Manchester - ie. Coniston SG, North Wolds, Spennymoor, NOECTC, East Yorkshire GC, Park Lodge, Bywell GC, A6 CTC and Penrith GC (I may have forgotten others, if so I apologise.)

From what I have heard from other shooters (not from the CPSA), it was Worsleys fault for their de-registration due to a lack of organisation and bad management on their part. IMO, I would not deem it enough to deregister, but certainly to prevent them from hosting a National Selection Shoot the following year. I just hope a ground such as North Wolds gets this next year, that will be great shoot if they do!

From what I have heard from other shooters (not from the CPSA), it was Worsleys fault for their de-registration due to a lack of organisation and bad management on their part. IMO, I would not deem it enough to deregister, but certainly to prevent them from hosting a National Selection Shoot the following year. I just hope a ground such as North Wolds gets this next year, that will be great shoot if they do!

Then you've heard a crock of **** from a bunch of whining, mincing tarts.

I shot on the Saturday, and whilst it was far from perfection it was OK. The targets were difficult, the weather was difficult. Worsley didn't grovel and beg to host this ****, I believe it was the other way round. They don't have an army of CPSA trained refs waiting in the wings because it was never a regular thing to be held here. (there are problems with plastic wads with the landowners if nothing else).

But whatever, it won't be happening again, because the whingers just ensured that there is one less Northern ground in the frame for future events. A good days work all round really.

Edited by Chard

I do not insure with cpsa.

i sincerely object to the fact that most competitions seem to be run by people like cpsa.

a competetition should be open to all.

too many people are making a fast buck from our sport.

I coach clay shooters but i will not register with cpsa or anyone else for that matter.

I was around before they where. to have a cpsa recognition costs a lot of money and does not improve anyones coaching.

how about that.

, A6 CTC and Penrith GC (I may have forgotten others, if so I apologise.)

Paulos is dead right, I've shot every Team selection shoot at Worsley over the last few years and every one has been a complete shambles.

Many of the scorers appeared not to have been briefed about the rules, one stand we passed was throwing a pair of simmo birds, 10 minutes later after a change of scorers they were throwing it on report. :hmm:

On another stand one bird had to be shot "before the tree", the next scorer said it could be shot anywhere. :good:

These were all avoidable issues that could have been avoided with a bit of foreward planning.

Even Heeksy conceded that it had been a cock up.

Cat.

I live in St Annes (close to Blackpool) and in my VERY brief career (I only gotr my SGC this month) have been shooting in blackpool Gun club. I have no idea what 'registered' grounds are, but this one seems to be OK. I, of course, have nbothing to compare it against, so my opinion is not a measure of standards. I talked to the owner and asked him which organization I should join. He mentioned BASC and CPSA. I am not sure if I should join both or one of the two (no idea which one though) as I am mainly interested in the insurance they offer. I suspect that most things each membership covers overlap?

I do not insure with cpsa.

i sincerely object to the fact that most competitions seem to be run by people like cpsa.

a competetition should be open to all.

too many people are making a fast buck from our sport.

I coach clay shooters but i will not register with cpsa or anyone else for that matter.

I was around before they where. to have a cpsa recognition costs a lot of money and does not improve anyones coaching.

how about that.

If the CPSA didn't organise them, who would? They are the Sports Governing Body. When I played football for my local town, I had to be a member of the FA, so whats the difference? :hmm: