CPSA

dustyfox

Problem is I can't see them leaving a legacy for shooting at Barking, not the legal type anyway :lol:

Would be handy to get to though :good:

Ya, it would be very handy indeed. If they include sporting, which they may not do as it's obviously not an Olympic discipline. From what I read, it would be a permanent new ground.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For goodness sake.How long is this controversy over the Olympic Ground going to rumble on?

I personally brought this to the CPSA's attention more than 2 years ago that Woolwich was unsuitable ( see Dennis's site)

Boakes did write to the Olympic Committee in his role for the BICTSF but frankly if you were on the Committee you would have expected the letter to have been written in crayon by a challenged person.

It is all there for you all to read about Woolwich being unsuitable, for the following reasons that need to be addressed.Military Hospital would have to be closed for the duration of the games, shot fall out over a major 'A' road, shot fall out onto a housing estate, site having to be cleared after the games , leaving no legacy for shooters, one of the core remits of Olympiads. Dartford is no better due to certain disgraced ex CPSA officials having a vested interest in Dartford SG (allegedly). This whole affair smacks of incompetence.

But look on the bright side, with the recession it will probably give the Building industry a shot in the arm when some one gets of their **** and makes a sensible decision. There is no doubt in my mind that the complex at Bisley needs a massive injection of cash and to build a state of the art shooting complex in that area or nearby if the land were available is exactly what British shooting requires right now. We need to use the Olympic funding and Lottery money wisely and give British shooting the lift it so richly deserves. Wake up.We are the best in the World at Sporting but the Yanks are catching us fast due to their obsession with being good.We were good at the Olympic disciplines but we are slipping, and we do have poor facilities.

For goodness sake.How long is this controversy over the Olympic Ground going to rumble on?

I personally brought this to the CPSA's attention more than 2 years ago that Woolwich was unsuitable ( see Dennis's site)

Boakes did write to the Olympic Committee in his role for the BICTSF but frankly if you were on the Committee you would have expected the letter to have been written in crayon by a challenged person.

It is all there for you all to read about Woolwich being unsuitable, for the following reasons that need to be addressed.Military Hospital would have to be closed for the duration of the games, shot fall out over a major 'A' road, shot fall out onto a housing estate, site having to be cleared after the games , leaving no legacy for shooters, one of the core remits of Olympiads. Dartford is no better due to certain disgraced ex CPSA officials having a vested interest in Dartford SG (allegedly). This whole affair smacks of incompetence.

But look on the bright side, with the recession it will probably give the Building industry a shot in the arm when some one gets of their **** and makes a sensible decision. There is no doubt in my mind that the complex at Bisley needs a massive injection of cash and to build a state of the art shooting complex in that area or nearby if the land were available is exactly what British shooting requires right now. We need to use the Olympic funding and Lottery money wisely and give British shooting the lift it so richly deserves. Wake up.We are the best in the World at Sporting but the Yanks are catching us fast due to their obsession with being good.We were good at the Olympic disciplines but we are slipping, and we do have poor facilities.

Hello, is that you Brian?

I can understand why these people do not join the CPSA.

But, if the CPSA were run by business men rather than an ignorant Carpenter and his cohorts, they would arrange day membership for these ace northern Digweed beaters and then it truly would be an English or British Open.But that of course would require the HQ staff having to earn their salaries.Perish the thought."Work for the benefit of members?" Never.

correct. some one understands.

Daivid,s Comment, The CPSA are the lead body for clay pigeon shooting, and it is via their grading system and competitions etc that we get county, regional and national champions. As such clay shooters should support the CPSA.

This is only for England the CPSA are the controlong body but GBCTSF is the Governing body for UK

Paulos,

It is the negativity shown by yourself that is the bain of the shooting community.

If you bothered to read the link in full, and tried to understand. I recommended a day membership to encourage non-members to enter and participate, therebye possibly encouraging them to become full members. If they were confident they were of sufficient ability to win, their classification would not be an issue. Also you should realise that we all have to be classified at the top level until we have shot enough registered shoots to be correctly classified.

If I was travelling the length of the country to compete in the premier event of my sport, an extra £20 on top of the entry fee would be reasonable. Side events such as Pool shoots, claysnooker, Compak, Fivestand, Prize raffles could all be organised by the CPSA HQ, County members of the host County, other County Committee volunteers and this would literally bring in thousands of £'s to the CPSA and show them to be a fantastic organisation to belong to.

If you doubt all of this, hark back to The White Gold Cup, Gamebore's flagship event. I organised that each year ( not on my own of course) but I did do all the spade work. If there was anything wrong with that event, let me know. I would be happy to do that amount of work for the CPSA or BASC. They or you only have to ask.

I think we can all agree that it would be a good idea to get more people shooting, I am sure most grounds would love more shooters, as would all the local gunshops etc.

I think we need to do more across the board for clay shooting- not only for those who want and have the ability to shoot at county or international level, but those who want to try the sport.

I am not convinced that shooting is the easiest sport to get into- many grounds for example do not advertise themselves in the local press, most shooting mags do not carry adverts for clay grounds, and the only full list I know of is in the shooting club directory – which I am pleased to see is posted on this forum.

We have two markets as I see it – those involved already in clay shooting. This sector of the market should be encouraged about shooting more to high standards and shooting at different grounds. But for this to work there needs to be, at the very lease:

Good accessibility to good grounds

Testing targets but not so testing the newer shooters are put off – hence side shoots?

Consistency in running and ruling at competitions.

Day membership? Maybe, but why not go back to the old way of allowing non CPSA members to shoot ‘birds only’ or shoot a selected 50 targets out of the 100 on a sporting for example, without the current price premium of ‘temporary’ membership of the CPSA- who benefits form that?

Birds only of 50 sporting on the same comp layout used to go on a lot in my experience but nor so much any more- is this just me or is this the case all round the UK?, This gives people the chance to shoot the competition targets at a discounted price, - get the bug (hopefully) and then by all means encourage them to take up full or clubman membership of the CPSA.

The other sector are the new and less experienced shooter, little point putting them straight onto a full blown competition course, they will miss most and we run a high risk of demoralizing them, once this happens we will lose them from shooting. So for this sector there needs to be I suggest:

East access to shooting grounds

Access to coaching and lessons that are at a price they can afford and find acceptable

A structured way of gradually building them up to experience all the main disciplines- to see which they prefer

Greater accessibility to the thousands of smaller ‘private’ clay clubs that are around.

Is this second part the sole responsibility of the CPSA? No – it should be a coordinated effort between all the main shooting organizations and the shooting grounds and clubs – but who to pull this together and make sure it happens? . If Phil or anyone lese at the CPSA want to get in touch with me to see how BASC could help, I am ready wiling and able. The national Shooting Week run by the BSSC is great, but is not enough in my opinion, it needs more than one week a year it needs effory 52 weeks of the year.

If the CPSA have got problems, then with all due respect having a web site that berates them is not going to make any difference. The CPSA, like BASC, is a members organization, run by members (elected council) and paid for by members, You have the right to put resolutions forward at AGM so please use it – to a large extent the future of your chosen organization is in your hands – sit back and do nothing but moan and nothing will change, and it all becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

David

Birds only of 50 sporting on the same comp layout used to go on a lot in my experience but nor so much any more- is this just me or is this the case all round the UK?, This gives people the chance to shoot the competition targets at a discounted price, - get the bug (hopefully) and then by all means encourage them to take up full or clubman membership of the CPSA.

You've got an uphill battle with that one. This is part of the elitest garbage that infests this sport. To see how inbred and rife it is, you only need to have a gander at the ******** site claysporting.com, where birds only shooters are routinely dismissed as "muppets" and worse, just for having the audacity to want to shoot some interesting targets, without having to subsidise the prize list for the great and good. They actually use terminology like "BO muppets" but I think those of us with an occasional brain cell get the picture. What goes on on that forum is a mini snapshot of what goes on in the sport. Nobody normal would want to be a member of that forum, they're so far up themselves, they must meet themselves coming back. There's a lot of that in many shooting grounds too. It wants stamping on :good:

You've got an uphill battle with that one. This is part of the elitest garbage that infests this sport. To see how inbred and rife it is, you only need to have a gander at the ******** site claysporting.com, where birds only shooters are routinely dismissed as "muppets" and worse, just for having the audacity to want to shoot some interesting targets, without having to subsidise the prize list for the great and good. They actually use terminology like "BO muppets" but I think those of us with an occasional brain cell get the picture. What goes on on that forum is a mini snapshot of what goes on in the sport. Nobody normal would want to be a member of that forum, they're so far up themselves, they must meet themselves coming back. There's a lot of that in many shooting grounds too. It wants stamping on :hmm:

So it would be considered a bad thing then to be planning on taking part in their Iron Man competition at Northants on the 21st Dec. :good:

So it would be considered a bad thing then to be planning on taking part in their Iron Man competition at Northants on the 21st Dec. :good:

No Peter, go for it. I'm thick-skinned and though they pi$$ me off, it would never stop me entering, I would just be willing one of them to call me a BO muppet to my face :hmm:

People who aren't as obnoxious and thick-skinned as me would be put off for life at some of these events, and that's not the way it should be.

Is this true - do the competition guys honestly think that BO or the 50 / 100 guys are that bad? :yes:

This could explain then why when I tried to introduce my wife to clay shooting at Catton Hall, when she missed the first few targets a couple of guys behind (skeet vests, loads of badges, loads of multi chokes, baseball caps..) started tutting, giggling, chuntering etc...to the point my wife wanted nothing more to do with shooting!

Of course I had a word with the lads, pointed out that this was no way to behave, showed them my karate 'license' :look: and pointed out I was more than willing to discuss this further with them, but they declined and wandered off, no doubt to try and put some other poor sod off taking up clay shooting and messing up 'their shoot' :yes:

Surely this is wrong, surely I and others should be able to shoot birds only without penalty, surely I and others should be able to shoot a 50 or 75 / 100 on a comp- layout. If you want to cock up a sport then make it totally elitist and thus prevent new comers from joining in. :hmm:

Hmm, I am getting a bit hot under the collar now, and I know I will no doubt get my ‘plumbs flicked’ by a mod for commenting on the CPSA when I am not a member, but shooting is very dear to me and I want my kids to take it up, if they want to, but not be put under silly pressure or have daft barriers put in their way by the CPSA or any other organization. :hmm:

As for calling clay pigeons clay targets well that is just silly! :good:

I will shut up now.

David

It is unusual for clayshooters to tut tut when a novice is struggling.If this happens I do find that a smack in the gob usually focusses their attention (only joking)

David may I suggest that if anyone 'disses' your good lady again, you should hang back and see how they fair, if they hit all of them, congratulate them and ask them where she was going wrong.As likely as not they will miss a few.Where upon you say "Difficult stand this one isn't it?" their face is normally a picture.

Is this true - do the competition guys honestly think that BO or the 50 / 100 guys are that bad? :lol:

This could explain then why when I tried to introduce my wife to clay shooting at Catton Hall, when she missed the first few targets a couple of guys behind (skeet vests, loads of badges, loads of multi chokes, baseball caps..) started tutting, giggling, chuntering etc...to the point my wife wanted nothing more to do with shooting!

Of course I had a word with the lads, pointed out that this was no way to behave, showed them my karate 'license' :yes: and pointed out I was more than willing to discuss this further with them, but they declined and wandered off, no doubt to try and put some other poor sod off taking up clay shooting and messing up 'their shoot' :lol:

Surely this is wrong, surely I and others should be able to shoot birds only without penalty, surely I and others should be able to shoot a 50 or 75 / 100 on a comp- layout. If you want to cock up a sport then make it totally elitist and thus prevent new comers from joining in. :hmm:

Hmm, I am getting a bit hot under the collar now, and I know I will no doubt get my ‘plumbs flicked’ by a mod for commenting on the CPSA when I am not a member, but shooting is very dear to me and I want my kids to take it up, if they want to, but not be put under silly pressure or have daft barriers put in their way by the CPSA or any other organization. :hmm:

As for calling clay pigeons clay targets well that is just silly! :good:

I will shut up now.

David

I'm afraid there is a lot of it David, though I must confess that my hatred of these elitist pillocks stems from a period where I used to referee registered competition. I don't do it now, I decided it didn't suit my temperament :yes:

I've had enough of their scowling, moaning, cheating and whinging. I've seen them trying to browbeat young referees to change scorecards (they didn't bother trying it with me :look: ), happens a lot at Catton Hall by the way. So, I appeciate that I have a very jaundiced view of them and that's where it comes from. It's done me good in one way - having seen how they put themselves about, it's made me determined that, however good or bad I get at clay shooting, I would never conduct myself in that way, they're a disgrace to the sport. Of course there are exceptions, people like Kevin Mayor, who would remain calm and focussed no matter what went on, but most of the rest spit dummies right left and centre if a puff of wind blows "wrong", trying to get every shot they miss down as a "no bird" for some absurd reason, like a sparrow flew out of a tree 50 yards away just as they were about to take their shot, blah, blah, blah. I've seen plenty of that and I eventually got sick of it - a thankless task.

Edited by Chard

Hello, I have read the threads on a few of the sites, nowhere on any of them does it say that the Iron Man is a registered shoot. I might go myself, as it is only being held a few miles from me. I am known to a lot of the people that are attending this shoot, and only one or two could be classed as elitist. I have never shot some of the diciplines that are on offer, so any tutting and scowling at me, will be meet with a venomous come back. It could be an entertaining day out.

Should be entertaining as I have much the same situation and feelings. I'm fairly sure that it's not a registered shoot, and I'm almost just interested in meeting some of the characters and seeing if they really are like their internet persona or not. Especially that Angelfire wumman or whatever her name is.

It'll be my first attempt at ABT and Double Rise. I've shot a round of DTL before though.

I have just (literally, just) joined BASC and I am contemplating whether I should join CPSA as well. I am primarily interested in the insurance cover, to be honest. Clay shooting is what I will be doing most, but I have no appetite whatsoever to represent any county etc. Just a bit of fun, that is all. Nevertheless, the CPSA membership is a possibility.

Psychologo? Why?

You have Insurance from House Insurance and now BASC, why would you want to join CPSA? Obviously the credit crunch will not affect you.

If you are interested I have a number of guns for sale ranging from £54,000 upwards, and some cut price cartridges @ £25 a box. :good:

Psychologo? Why?

You have Insurance from House Insurance and now BASC, why would you want to join CPSA? Obviously the credit crunch will not affect you.

If you are interested I have a number of guns for sale ranging from £54,000 upwards, and some cut price cartridges @ £25 a box. :good:

:hmm::hmm: :look:

You wouldn't have an old Skoda knocking about, would you? :yes: