Wet cartridges

Cosd

Was shooting one day when it really bucketed down, rucksack which I thought was waterproof, wasn't!

Anyway the cartridges had obviously got damp, when I put them away that day they were dry so I didn't think anything of it.

Next time I got the cartridges out the brass had gone black and sticky on many of the carts. I used some wire wool on them and they did clean off.

Has this happened to anyone else before?

What did you do, clean them up or discard?

Why did they turn sticky almost like black tar?

my lad had a leak from his pop bottle, same result, the tar effect can only ,I assume come from the powder mixing with the water and leaking out in some way, dont use them, I would phone the shop you got them from to ask about safe disposal

Thanks for that pavman.

My local gunshop is closed on Mondays so I just called "Just Cartridges" who were helpful. They said the cartridges are safe to use (as long as they are plastic not fibre wad) even if they had gone completey rusty. The sticky discharge has nothing to do with the powder, and is just a reaction between the water and the electro plating.

His advise is to clean with some wire wool (Brilo) and to leave in a warm room.

Thanks for that pavman.

My local gunshop is closed on Mondays so I just called "Just Cartridges" who were helpful. They said the cartridges are safe to use (as long as they are plastic not fibre wad) even if they had gone completey rusty. The sticky discharge has nothing to do with the powder, and is just a reaction between the water and the electro plating.

His advise is to clean with some wire wool (Brilo) and to leave in a warm room.

What **** advice from Just Cartridges. It has nothing to do with a reaction between water and electro plating, I don't see sticky gunk on my car when it rains !!!. Plating is a metal finish and as such can not react in such a way with water.

They are Rottweil cartridges.

The update is that I have shot some of the affected cartridges and they worked absolutely fine.

Since cleaning with the wire wool, they have not discoloured nor has the sticky stuff re-appeared. Though I am not absolutely certain I can only put it down to corrosion. It isn't as though they swam in water, they were in a rucksack that got very wet and moisture had obviously got to them.

I think my next investment should be on a cartridge bag. Having been out with Catamong earlier this week I saw this is what he uses and reloading is quicker as well. I use a leather cartridge belt then carry a load in my rucksack which I won't be doing again.

Do you guys use cartridge bags?

It depends on if the cartridges are damp or wet, wet meaning have been submurged,damp cartridges when fired will give very slow speeds and may missfire I find that the best thing to do is store the damp ones in your airing cuboard or other warm place for a month i have test fired cartridges dryed in this way on a proof range and found they will return to normal proof spec. The ones that have actual water inside them are best got rid of as the primers will not always return to normal and swollen fibre can give excessive pressures. To be safe any suspect wet cartridges, get rid of them and take action on keeping them dry in the future,.