Red Deer

Subsonic Flyer

For those of you that have not had the pleasure to see Red Deer up close I thought you might like to get an idea of the size of these animals. This is one I had recently. Shooting it is one thing but getting it back to your vehicle is another. After a long drag, you often question your sanity. An animal of this size will weigh over 300 pounds.

Have a great Christmas

SF

post-11-1103317224.jpg

Guest Mr Pieman

SF,

why have you cut the neck so short? Have you used the meat for something else (dogs etc) or trophy mounting? Seems a low cut for general butchering.

Cheers

PP

PS Nice animal :)

Guest Mr Pieman

SF,

depending on your butchering skills it is possible to remove a long 'length' of meat from the deer along its back that's often referred to as a 'loin'. It begins just after the top of the haunch (where you cut rump steaks from) and runs right up into the neck. By cutting it short you take away up to 10inches of very good meat.

Next time you skin one have a look and give it a go - the meat is very tasty. If you aren't sure of the technique required for the cutting, let me know and I'll post something up to help :)

With a little practice it is possible to make a variety of appetising joints -

Boned and rolled shoulders

Boned and rolled haunches

Steaks

Saddles

Loins

Boned and rolled saddles

Butterfly steaks

Medallions

Whole haunch & shoulder joints

Chops

Crown Roasts

Rib racks

Stering steak (for pies)

Stewing meat (for casseroles and slow cookers)

I find home butchering very rewarding. People seem far more willing to cook a boned joint or prepared chops than try and process a bag og stewing meat!!

Cheers

PP

Now im the complete oppisite to you Mr Piewoman i find home butchering time consuming and a complete pain in the ***. Especialy if your doing a large beast on your own. All that bagging up farting about washing this and that its not for me :)

I would rather pays my money and dump it on some other sole for Butchering into joints, steaks, Burger`s, mince and such.

Then collect it all ready smartly and expertly done bagged and sealed end of job :)

Guest Mr Pieman

Vimm,

I think in your case its more can't than won't. To butcher it and bag it etc yourself makes it far more profitable than using a third party and having to share the proceeds.

PP

If you know the Butcher Pete then i dont think he would ask to many question`s just as long as they were taken legaly :o

The last one i shot the butcher charged me £20 for it to be skinned jointed bagged the lot as well as geting rid of all the waste.

It was a good size Deer too Pete but you can no longer see the picture on my Poacher`s thread as some jelous plonker has deleted it :)

Mr Piewoman i have dressed Sika, Roe, Red and Fallow its no big deal just like a big Rabbit :)

SF,

depending on your butchering skills it is possible to remove a long 'length' of meat from the deer along its back that's often referred to as a 'loin'. It begins just after the top of the haunch (where you cut rump steaks from) and runs right up into the neck. By cutting it short you take away up to 10inches of very good meat.

Next time you skin one have a look and give it a go - the meat is very tasty. If you aren't sure of the technique required for the cutting, let me know and I'll post something up to help :)

With a little practice it is possible to make a variety of appetising joints -

Boned and rolled shoulders

Boned and rolled haunches

Steaks

Saddles

Loins

Boned and rolled saddles

Butterfly steaks

Medallions

Whole haunch & shoulder joints

Chops

Crown Roasts

Rib racks

Stering steak (for pies)

Stewing meat (for casseroles and slow cookers)

I find home butchering very rewarding. People seem far more willing to cook a boned joint or prepared chops than try and process a bag og stewing meat!!

Cheers

PP

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

LB :)