pigeon flocks/rape feeding

shawn9914

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out this morning first flock i saw must have been 1500 to 2000 birds then saw about 6 flocks of 100 birds all on rape.

Then as soon as word got round that i didnt have my gun they decided to taunt me! some were just floating infront of me i swear i saw 2 finger being stuck up at me. Bah

an exciting walk

been out all morning doing some reccy

covered around 30 square miles in the disco checking all the rape fields but found no pigeons on them they all seemed to be in the trees still

decided i had had enough so started to make my way home went past last field i have permision on a saw some very low flying pigeons i parked the disco and went for a walk to the brow of the hill

wow saw arond 1000 birds feeding on the rape all took off when they saw me so i scrambled into a nearby hedge with my b/nocs stayed for around 45 mins and the birds kept coming onto the rape in good numbers

i am now off home to polish the 12 bore and sort my hide gear out ready for a full days fun tommorrow

i will let you all know how i get on monday pm

cheers shawn

We went round dropping off a 'New year' bottle of wine to our farmers and nearly all of them are suffering with pigeon on Oil Seed Rape. Being the sneaky, untrusting ****** I am went out for a check and yes, the fields were grey with them. Think I will give the January sales a miss tomorrow and get in a hide!

Pike

Went out on new years day

The trees were hung with them but nothing on the rape.

Anyway i thought i would set up an ambush and do a spot of roost shooting?

saw three birds for the rest of the afternoon and shot two of em?:lol:?:lol:??

looking on the bright side though,I was out of the house and it was the

best cartridge to kill ratio for years :lol::lol::D:/:lol:

well went out all day yesterday when we got to the fields the pigeons were on the rape so we thought great

walked the birds off then set up and sat and waited and waited and waited dam birds never saw another woody all day hardly and non near us at all

so all in all a complete disaster but hey at least i was out and about and not decorating

shawn

been out again today (in between sodding rain) pigeon starting to hammer the rape ? dozens just sitting on hedge tops then dropping back on again to feed walked them off twice? back in within minutes each time?

cheers Keith

The pigeons in my area have finally started to hit the OSR but as there are so many acres of it, getting onto them isnt easy. Did get 35 last week but it should have been 70+. Shooting with a 'new' SS with half and full choke which is too tight I suspect (a trip to my gunsmith is in order I think). I did see a large flock feeing on what looked like young shoots of spring wheat?? Very odd. Clipper

pigeons about big style up here now? went round a couple of small farms this morning about 12 rape fields, ALL had large numbers of pigeon on two in particular (that are not unfortunately shootable) and were literally blue! numbers quite seriously into the thousand going out sunday to try and locate a flightline to the fields might have a very good morning

cheers Keith

been out shooting all day today

could not get the birds to come onto the rape saw the odd couple come down for a couple of minutes then off again but would not come into the pattern

moved a couple of times but no use

altered the pattern a number of times to no avail

shot 11 birds in the flight line opened the crop of 3 and they were all stuffed full of ivy berries still

i think we need some colder weather still here or may be it was because it was so windy i dont know but they were feeding on the ivy berries and there were 4 fields next to each other full of osr but no pigeons interested in it

any ideas

cheers shawn :lol:

Just spoke to one of the farms i shoot,he didn't want anybody shooting the rape until the pheasant season was over.The pigeons are hitting the rape big time so he asked if i could try and keep them off, as long as i keep away from the woods.Going to have a look in the morn,see if i can get on a flight line. :lol:

Just been out to do an hour in the field at the front of my house whilst dinner was cooking under a good flight line

Shot 6 pigeons opened the crop in 3 and they all had small green leafy stuff inside is this rape :lol:

Also some had yellow things about 8mm in diameter and very hard are these some sort of nuts :lol:

Been for a drive also and still cannot see any birds on the rape in this area :lol:

cheers shawn

WOW WHAT A DAY I'VE HAD

Got up this morning at 6am and went down one of the fields i shoot.

Set up the hide and put out the decoys before it got light.

still had 30 mins before it got light so i poped into the cafe and had a fry up.

Just before it got light i got back to my hide and no sooner had i sat down the birds started to come in. They were coming into my decoys as if they hadn't eaten for weeks. after the 1st hour i had let off about 200 shots and taken 130 ish pigeon.

I had to go back to the car to get more shells.

As i walked back across the field to my hide i could see the pigeons coming in to land. they were like the planes at heathrow airport. Walking past the decoy pattern they still sat there eating, as i got into the hide i got back into it.

The pigeons were coming into the decoys all morning and all afternoon, never had a day like this before and this could be my own red letter day,,,,,

Not really, I had to go shopping with the misses :lol: must get out soon though