cocker spaniel

activeviii

The wife and i have been talking about a dog for a few years. this year we decided the kids are old enough not to run round grabbing it every 5 minutes.

the decision was made 6 months ago to go for a cocker as it came come out with me on the shoot or pigeon bashing and then it can come home to family life.

will this work? I dont know but everyone we spoke to said yes, the cocker would fit in just nicely.

we put out name down on a list and then 4 weeks ago one has come up. we had the chose of the little so was happy with that.

we ended up with a small male that has a tail like a clockwork mouse and is always out and about rather than being with his mum. he is 4 weeks old and the 18Th of October he will be 8 weeks and able to come home to us.

we might get it all wrong but with a little help from you guys, and the book we have, we might just get a little bit right and a little bit more wrong.

he has been named after the wife waking up all hours of the night thinking about names.

i was talking one day about teague choke for the browning and the wife said that there use to be a mike teague that played rugby for gloucester so it has sort of stuck and now named Teague.

DSC02582.jpgDSC02583.jpg

this is him at 4weeks.

the wife is worrying about getting it wrong, i am as well if truth be known, would you put the pup up stairs in the cage, at night, to start with and take him out a few times in the night to wee or downstairs and hope we wake up to take him out.

the wife has bought one of these heat discs that you put in the microwave and it then stays warm for up to 12 hours just to give him the warmth but she is now saying a bout an old tick tock clock as well???

we all have to start somewhere i guess so please be a little gentle.hehe.

thanks for any advice in making this a little easier.

kind regards

Phil.

Good looking little fella, what lines is he from?

On the routine front, it's whatever works for you, every situation and dog is different. Personally if you're having him inside, I'd crate him at night where his 'area' is. Once you get in to the routine of him being upstairs it won't be easy to break that as he'll think that's where he's 'sposed to be. Remember, as soon as you get him you're conditioning him to obey and to follow a routine, don't make it harder on yourself by conditioning him wrong in the first place.

Take him out every half an hour during the day (if possible), or whenever he looks like he's needing to whizz and give him whatever command you're going to use for toilet he'll soon realise he does his business outside. Get up a few times during the night and toilet him, but as he gets older this can be knocked on the head as you'll get in to a routine of last whizz at whatever time, and last drink a set time before that. If he has an accident he has an accident, all dogs do it's not a problem.

Make everything fun, make coming back to you a game, lots of excitement, and you can start dropping commands in there to condition him, you can start to sit and wait him at meal times in the same way, but nothing to stringent, he'll be a little baby when you get him, take it slow!

I'm not a fan of the gadgets you mention, and most are just money spinners. However, they may work for you, and if it gives you the confidence to be a better dog owner, go for it.

I was reading a little book that says to cage/crate him but make sure it is on the smaller side as he will not mess/wee in his room. is this right. only reason im asking is i have a brand new crate that we use to have for a terrier, i guess i will have to dig it out to get sizes but its about 18"x24"x30" at a guess.

thanks for the pointers as well. downstairs it is and get up in the night every few hours. every 3 hours ok or go a bit longer?

Welcome to the club! I got my cocker in October last year so I'm more or less a year in front of you. My wife wanted the pup in the bedroom the first night, then the hall after that and so on. Regardless of what you try, sooner or later the gog is going to be left all night in whatever place is going to be his. The sooner this happens the better. I think it was three or four nights before Chloe was silent all through the night. The thing is, as hard as it is the dog will be fine in the morning, you just need to go to bed with earplugs in.

As far as training is concerned, I never did anything with her until about six months. Just the sit command. You'll be amazed what comes naturally to the dog. One thing I would say, is make sure your other half is on the same wave-length as yourself. I'd have the dog all day and do certain things then the wife would do the opposite at night.

This is as good a place as any for help and advise and you never have to wait long for a reply. Just take it one day at a time. And if you get stuck, just ask.

As far as toilet training, rather than go out every 30 mins, we just kept an eye on her (you soon learn what their intentions are) and quickly took her onto the lawn making a lot of fuss at the same time. She soon learned what not to do. Also, we didn't get up to her through the night at all. We'd put newspaper down (away from her bed) and if she did pee she did so on the paper. Again, she soon stopped going through the night. It did help to take her out right before bed.

This is just my idea from my last year's experience. It was also my first year's experience so I don't mean to be an expert. I'd do the same again though.

All the best

James

post-6662-1222966388.jpg

Edited by jef

Be prepared to have what feels like another child in the house.

I bought my cocker 2 months ago, and they take alot more time than i thought, but they become part of the furniture very quickly (Especially when he is eating it!!!!) :good:

Like has been said if inside then a crate is a must. I lock mine in the utility room, where there is a hard floor for those little accidents...

Have fun, they are a great dog

post-13276-1222968627.jpg

Is the pup used to a crate? With my first cocker pup I was expecting to have to introduce him to his crate gradually but he took himself of into of his own accord & fell asleep almost immeadiately, he had been in one since a very young age though. I used a ticking clock & a blanket to cover the crate at night, also a blanket with mothers/litter mates scent on which my pup hated & dragged out of his crate. Don't use a crate which is too large as unused floor space will provide a toilet area for the pup & most importantly never use the crate as a punishment it should be somewhere safe & comforting for the pup.

Edited by mez75

my cocker is 20 months , and loves his crate. He goes there to escape from the kids , and when he wants a nap. He sleeps in the kitchen , and had plenty of pee's on the floor in the early days , but keep taking outside and say to him "go pee" and he will soon get the picture.

As far as having a gundog and also a family pet , a cocker ticks all the boxes. Mine is a pet in the house , but will switch to hunting mode when required.

post-2350-1222976468.jpg

Cockers are brill.

Crate him down stairs......

Hot water bottle wrapped up in a thick fleece of yours.

Tick tock clock.

water up about an hour before bed time. Food up the same.

Out the door at bed time till business is done, then into the crate.

Off to bed, give it 20 mins to settle and then get your head down.

Up when it boots off, take it out, till business is done, then back to bed..

Jaz only crapped in his cage once.......................peed a couple of times but nothing too drastic.

enjoy and training shoud be easy enough.

Start as you mean to go on and have him in the cage no matter what noise he makes. Get up as many times as you did for your first born child and he will be crate trained quickly :lol:

It sounds like you have picked a bold/good pup which will always be better than one that looks cute or good :blush:

Check out all NTTF's pinned posts and I have always found Mad Springer good for some weird behaviour problems.

Keep everyone posted with pics, stories, and don't forget to tell everyone were he leaves little 'love' puddles and pies for mummy and daddy :lol::hmm::lol:

LB

Start as you mean to go on and have him in the cage no matter what noise he makes. Get up as many times as you did for your first born child and he will be crate trained quickly :lol:

It sounds like you have picked a bold/good pup which will always be better than one that looks cute or good :blush:

Check out all NTTF's pinned posts and I have always found Mad Springer good for some weird behaviour problems.

Keep everyone posted with pics, stories, and don't forget to tell everyone were he leaves little 'love' puddles and pies for mummy and daddy :lol::hmm::lol:

LB

WHAT!!! thats a womens job...lol....................only joking, i use to just say as work in stead.lmao.

Great advice gents. all a little different but all saying the same thing so spot on. I will go get the crate out now and wash and disinfect it. then off to the antique shop for a tick tock. if it dont work i could always hide it in the kids room, that will wake the ******* up.

I have one photo of when Teague was a very little one.snoopy comes to mind but a friend said sweep out of sooty and sweep.

post-12773-1223023293.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Teague came home today.

He is so good so far its unreal.

he knows where his bed is and just goes and climbs in when hes tired.

sniffs and whines when he wants to be busy.

DSC02608.jpg

just waiting for the KC paperwork but to me and the wife it doesn't really matter as he is a working pet and not a show type.

I'll try and keep this post updated every 2 weeks with a new photo so to compere his looks and size. his paws are massive as well

kind regards

Phil

Big paws.........big dog................

I didnt know................but you will be left with a great strong dog who is keen to work if he is like my boy jasper.

Some of the cockers that we have come across are tiny compared to him..............feed him well, work him well and you will be proud.

Had my boy to the vets last week. wife asked about his condition and the vet was well pleased, loads of compliments about his tones.........

Im well chuffed..............it aint hard........20 mins a day at puppy hood will work loads of wonders...............currentlyh got my boy,,,,,,,head on sofa.........need to go give him a cuddle.............

To tell the truth on the breading i dont know. the mum is a full time picking up dog and the father is a gamekepper from wales. i will know all the right answers once the paperwork cmes from the KC.

any left.no chance. the wife was just lucky as she found the add on the internet just as it was placed. we phoned straight away and popped over the next day. by that time 2 had gone but we still had the pick as we wanted a dog and not a bitch. whilst we were there the breaders phone was just rings from people asking about them by the next day all had been taken.

I have seen an advert on a forum of late for cocker pups if its any good to you.

firstnight went very well. he sort of scoffed his food and then had a little play about. lights out about 11pm and that was the last we heard until 5:30am. talk about being on springs. bong bong bong morning morning morning play time dad come on play time. ****** i wasnt quick enough and we had a little puddle, so i still took him out back and ther he finished off. in for a quick play and then breakfast.

we are trying our best to keep it the same as the breeder did and then once we have settled we will slowly adjust things. 2 eggs and a splash of milk and 1.5mins in the microwave. left a little runny, once cool enough it was offered to Teague. jeppers.....almost had me hand off trying to get to it.

we have missed a few times and have a few wet patches but our fault for not knowing the times and signs. he didn't eat his last meat of the day out of the 4 but didnt think much of it.

Teague has just slept most of the afternoon and evening so we thought it was going to be a night of it but lights out at 10:30 and that was it, not a noise until 6am. down the stairs and open the cage, out pops pup and im off out the door with dog following, alright no leaks. in we come and have a play for 10 mins and then breakfast. scrambled eggs and a splash of milk, same as yesterday and the same as he has had every morning with the breeder. put it on the floor and he starts eating, a few seconds later he walks away and will not touch it. oh well. i left it down for 15 mins and still nothing so in the bin it goes.

since this morning he has had about 2 table spoons of food and even that was a struggle to get him to eat. he has slept and slept and slept since yesterday afternoon. he plays for a few minutes and then takes himself back off to the crate and back to sleep.

his poo yesterday was a slate grey and firm were as today he has only been once, it started softer and yellow sand in colour and then he walked off and started again but this time like custard but still sand colour ( lucky i dont eat custard.lol)

he seams to go to poo in the morning and evening but wee's every time he wakes up. if you don't take him out straight away you get a wet floor.

water wise he drinks only when its just come out the tap.

are we panicking over nothing and it is pining or is there something else.

he it going to the vets tomorrow if we can get him in so he can have hit first jab, but i don't like vets as i have found them like dentists, they do all the work, you didn't ask for, before they do what you did ask for and then they charge you a nightmare amount.

I only want a pet..........not a mortgage.lol.

advice very welcome.

Oh and today we had out first barks out of him....so funny and cute. a ball with a bell in it.lol.....and then later the empty kitchen roll..looks like we will be getting more barking.hehe

is this sort of nomal. wife says its just his way off pineing as his whole life as he knew it had changed.

6:30-7:00 he starts with 2 eggs with a splash of milk and lightly scrambled

11:00-12:00 mashed veg with meat or fish and a little veg stock

16:30-17:00 bakers chicken puppy softened with veg water and any cocked meat thats left over

21:00-21:30 just bakers softened with warm water.

this is all the breeder was feeding so we stuck with it. yesterdays meat was pouched chicken

he was eating grass saturday morning about ten'ish and after that he kept going under a bush. i think he had a nip of what was under the bush, a toadstool!! It was not as big as it was when i last saw it but i thought nothing of it. he has a loose stool yesterday teatime and just slept.

I was trying to put two and two together as i was awake in the small hours and that was what i came up with.

I was awake and listening out for him at 5am and getting worried as i hadnt heard him whimper. 6:45 clicked over on the clock and i couldn't wait any longer so i chucked some cloths on and went down to him. he must have heard the last step creak as he sat up just as i got there.

Open the crate and out he bounced. straight into the garden for his wee and then a good bit of praise for it. then he went off for another wee. had ten minutes with him trying to get to where the toadstool was ( i dig it up) just sniffing and bouncing and then he was off, dive bombing all the plants and running around the bushes.

totally different dig this morning. when we got in the house the wife had done him a sort scrambled egg. so we had a dos around as the egg cooled. down the bowl went and within a very short time Teague had finished eating the whole lot. then he went to the puppy food box and sat by it so a few bits out of that and a few in the bowl which he also ate. very happy now.

i think it was something he ate. i will post after lunch time and see if he eats then as well.

Off to the vets for a check over anyway and talk about his jabs as well.

thanks

gents

regards

Phil.