Which Dog Insurance

bindi

Can any of you let me know which is the best pet insurance for my 8 month old black labrador, which are best for claims throughout the whole life of the dog etc.

Any bad experiences with companies (which to avoid, if any?)

Many thanks

Mark :rolleyes:

We insured our dog from a puppy, with PetPlan.

Only one small claim, which was eventually dealt with, when she was about 3.

At the age of 5 years the premiums, which had increased by small amounts a year, almost doubled.

When I contacted PetPlan and asked why, they just said it was their policy and left me in no doubt there was no room for negotiation.

Fortunately, I can afford to self insure, so I did not renew the policy.

I don't know if every pet insurance Company has the same policy, but if not, be warned that PetPlan do.

I have heard that Tesco's or one of the other big supermarkets offer pet insurance, and are cheaper than pet plan, I was going to pit my 8 month old ESS on it but we have now started putting money in a saving account for him should the need arise... bonus is if we don't use it, we keep it!!

Adam

Many thanks, most useful and we would be pleased to receive more comments/experiences.

does anyoe have experience with MRL ?

We want a policy that will give continued cover for illnesses across all ages, which many don't.

thanks again,

:rolleyes: Mark

Many thanks, most useful and we would be pleased to receive more comments/experiences.

does anyoe have experience with MRL ?

We want a policy that will give continued cover for illnesses across all ages, which many don't.

thanks again,

:P Mark

mcooke,

Pay the premiums into a savings account that way you will have quite a nest egg for the lab should it malfunction.

Premiums for an pedigree dog are approx. £25-00 per month depending on the area you live in, low risk ? thats £300-00 a year plus the interest.

There is no cheap insurance unless you have a heinz 57 or lurcher. :rolleyes:

LB

I use the kennel Club insurance,it costs £20 per month for a Springer,it was told to me to go with them coz some of the cheaper companies will not keep covering an animal with a reccuring illness after the second ot third claim for the same illness. Read the small print very carefully as to what is covered and keep up all the dogs boosters or the policy can be void also.

clanchief

:rolleyes:

Many thanks to all who have responded.

We have decided to go for the insurance, and have opted for one with Marks & Spencer.

Their cover seems very good and their rates are competetive. They have also come out top in Martin's Moneytips on the web.

Hope this is useful to others too,

best wishes

Mark

:P

• 2 weeks later...

I’m with you LB, I had my dogs insured through BASC a few years ago, I didnt realise there was an excess to pay (about 50 quid) and every time I went to the vets it came to £49.99. Then the company went bust and refused to pay out or refund my premium and BASC refused to help!!. Now i pay the premium into a bank account i set up for the dogs and ****** me there richer than me!!!

Regards Coney

I use direct line for mine, costs less than a £10 a month. When he was a pup he ate anything and everything that was left lineing about (2 kids) so thought it would be wise.

Other old bitch is now 13 1/2 and has only required 1 major op £300, and wasn't insured but if the money was put away it would of more than covered it.

As it is the first £50 I have to pay and it doesnt cover the vacinations.

Also with the BASC 3rd party yo uare covered for liability and damages for your dog, where as the others are only covering vets bills.

trev