Wood Burners

Dirty Harry

Got a stovax multifuel with clean air system,burns anything,glass stays clear

8kw bloody excellent gone and bought another for other room.

havent had a gas bill for 10 years

stovax got one myself,although i dont think you are being accurate in your comment,no glass ,on any burner stays clear,you have to clean them all the time.worth the effort though. :good:

stovax got one myself,although i dont think you are being accurate in your comment,no glass ,on any burner stays clear,you have to clean them all the time.worth the effort though. :good:

I have a Harmony 13 - clear glass here (mainly use wood, seasoned and burnt at the right air setting)

One of the best things I have purchased.

I used to get dirty glass until I realised green wood / not enough air was the cause.

Happy Burning - part way though building a woodstore

the user guide even says you have to clean the glass.they even sell glass cleaner.and yes i only use logs that are at least 18 months old :good::good:

Clearly not all manufacturers designs are the same.

We have had our Hunter for many years and (as AndyCM says) maybe its because we have the correct air settings and only use mature logs, we have never had to clean the glass.

I've a Morso Squirrel MultiFuel, had it for aprox 15yrs, & wouldn't be without it ever. Different kind of heat than your normal Gas/Electric, you appreciate it in winter. As for the glass, if you get the airflow right it's OK, if not you have to clean it.

As it states...Multifuel, anything that burns goes on, Obviously Coal is the hottest, especially the top end gear, Anthracite etc, I find a mixture of both to be the best.

Added bonus.....if the electric goes off, you still have heating, + you can boli a kettle/cook to a certain extent, your not stuck,

Edited by Bazooka Joe

Remember - any stove over 5kw output (i.e. in the Morso range higher/bigger than the Badger) needs an airbrick in the room - which can lead to drafts in general :good:

The Owl is 6.5Kw. This is from the Hetas Regs - All fuels require an adequate supply of air to make them burn correctly. If too little air is available, fumes that are harmful to your family may escape into the room

Re clean glass, Dirty glass, We are talking two totaly different stoves, Secondry burn (Various trade names) stoves have an internal baffle directing super heated waste gasses back int fire, So washing down front of glass to burn again, Result Very High efficency and usually clear glass, If you know how to light it, Cheaper stoves do not usually have secondry burning, So will be more suseptable to sooted glass,

Edited by fishman307

Jotul are indeed a good stove, Cast iron is ALWAYS the better choice if money no object, however the kit to convert Jotul to multy fuel is **** and doesnt leave a lot of room for stoking, They really are just woodburners. Have you looked at Waterford ?? You really need to decide between Steel and cast iron, Basicly (apart from price) If you overheat a steel stove it can write it off, If you do same to cast iron worst it could crack a panel (replaceable,) Cast iron also radiates heat in a better manner, Also look for stove type, Some are convector some are directional/radiant, You really do ned to shop around and listen to advise, I would certainly DOUBLE check size / Output required for room. Do not go over cos you like the look of stove!

Edited by fishman307

there were grants available for help with installation of some burners. Check out clear skies, just ask your local dealer, some restrictions apply. Worth a try, think it is 20% of installation costs with an upper limit, installation must be done by approved dealer etc.

I was told by the bloke in the shop that I needed a 4kw stove given the room dimensions. I explained that the house is very old, no double glazing, thick stone walls and in the eviening it will be used to heat the rest of the house and he said that I should go for 7-8kw. Leaving the doors open should mean no requirement for an air brick and to be honest even if the doors are shut there will be cracks and gaps to feed the fire.

Harry

Edited by Dirty Harry

stovax got one myself,although i dont think you are being accurate in your comment,no glass ,on any burner stays clear,you have to clean them all the time.worth the effort though. :rolleyes:

I've got a stovax too, the little Riva 40 as it fits into a standard fireplace (although I had to chisel out the back bricks to make room). It's an excellent little fire but as above, the glass does need cleaning, the frequency depends on what is being burnt, type of wood etc. I use electric hob cleaner to clean the glass after each use which is non abrasive and get the muck off. It doesn't always need cleaning, but it's much easier to clean little and often rather than try and remove a year's worth of grime in one go!

Here it is burning dunnage (rough cut packing wood) from the container ships that come into the local port. My mate gets it for me - free heat!

021.jpg

Edited by alexm

Take a look at this:::::

I have bought Two Stoves. I found that the best value for money was from Villager. See web site>>

Makers:

http://www.villager.co.uk/

One is a 8 kw Flat Top Bayswater and is multi fuel.

The other is a 16kw A Flat and is wood only with back boiler.

I have good access to wood but found the extra purchase of a chain saw and big wood axe neccesary.

Since fuel has gone up in price so much I have convertied the multi fuel stove to wood burner only. That is a simple matter of removing the grete and replacing with fire bricks.

Wood burnes best lying flat no the fire bricks coal needs a grete to allow air to travel up through the coal.

Fire bricks can be expensive so I used some (old type) electric heater bricks and cut them with a disk cutter.

Old type heater bricks can be found sometimes in your local auction. I bought about 50 bricks (in heaters) for £5.00 as nobody wants old electric heaters any more.

Best place to go with prices the same as on ebay: They deliver as well.

Dealers:

http://www.chaseheating.co.uk/

I paid about £430 for each stove.. Delivery was £30 quid...

One other thing flue pipe can cost as much as the stove..Again I got 12 meters from the local auction for a tenner. But that price has took off as well.

Flue pipe web site:

http://www.dunbrik.co.uk/home.html

Fire string and fire cement see ebay...

What ever next these pigeon shooters know....

Rob..