Macnab Lowlander 12G

Clydebuilt

Hello, new to this forum and would like some info on the Macnab Lowlander guns.

Having been away from shooting for a few years, i have been trying to find out a good gun for mostly Clay Pigeon shooting and the odd day out for Pigeons/Crows/Pheasant etc.

I know the forum members may be sick and tired if reading another "Which Gun" thread so basically ive narrowed my search to the:

Macnab Lowlander Sporter 12G Model with 30" barrels and in Multi Choke 3" Mag Proof with chromed barrels format, to try and make things easier.(if possible!!)

Its at the top of my my price range at approx £795 and i will be locating the model and trying it for size and handling etc (well, hopefully there will be a dealer within the Strathclyde or even Ayrshire area where i can try it out.)

Basically, i would like to hear from anyone who has experience of these guns and their general opinion.

If nobody has experience of this particular model i would also appreciate any possible alternatived taking into consideration the above shooting applications.

I have been trying to get info on the newish Baikal izh 27 as a possible alternative but cant find any decent specs for it.

Anyway, thats enough for now

Clydebuilt

I have never owned or fired a McNab Lowlander, but I have handled one.

It did seem rather heavy and "lumpy", but that is a matter of personal taste.

Try before you buy, is probably the best advice you can have.

There are quite a few nice guns available in your price range, including very good secondhand guns.

Dont think there is a dealer in the Glasgow area that stocks them, North Ayrshire Shooting Ground had an extensive stock and you can try all their guns,get advice and coaching to any standard. They have many new guns and used guns in their shop their website does not show all that they stock however.

North Ayrshire Shooting Supplies

clanchief

Appreciate the reply guys,

I have dealt with the North Ayshire Shooting Ground before (purchased my first gun there) and got decent service so it will be my first port of call.

I didnt know about the Macnab & Lincoln factory info either, will take a look at that website too.

Happy new year

Cheers

Clydebuilt

My dad bought one last season, fired four boxes through it and took it back to the shop, he didnt like it, the finish on it was poor very rough in places. He paid about £750 (i think) but only got £350 trade in (same value at three other shops) I talked him into a silver pigeon it fits him better is nicer to handle and the finish is superb. My advice is go for a beretta.

Having looked at the Mcnabs at the CLA last year I was on the verge of buying one until I saw an x-display lincoln 20gauge on the David Nickerson stand. Fantastic gun, nothing fancy, just does what it says on the tin, exactly what I was looking for.

Pike

Hey mate, I was out at continental shooting supplies last week. They had a second hand lowlander in stock. Not sure of the spec but it was nice! I think it was in at the 800 mark, Give him a phone up. Pretty well stocked shop too. You can trie all the second had guns on the range. Also try the gun smiths in egelsham. They had a few in too! Spoilt for choice. His number is in the phone book! Good luck!