What is the best choke for pigeons?

Ean76

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Improved cylinder both barrels . Good quality shells will give good pattens and sure killing out to 45 yards with 28gr load and 50 with 32 gr load. I find anything more than 1\4 choke a handicap for decoying.

The more i shoot the more convinced I have become the less choke you have the better (over 40 years of shotgun shooting ). I cleanly killed 4 50-60 yard pink feet last week with 42 gr of tungstone 1s with my 3 1\2 inch auto and I\C chokes for 4 shots .

Edited by anser2

Got to agree with Anser. Use the least possible choke commensurate with the job in hand.

There is often a historical debate about who invented choke boring. I can tell you that it was invented by the Devil. Changeable chokes are Satan`s most recent invention, designed to mess with shooters heads.

Insert the most open chokes you posses and forget the others.

All the choke fiddling one sees at clay shoots and occasionally in the field is a recipe for madness.

Pointing the gun in the right direction is infinitely more important than having tight chokes.

Nick.

Edited by mudpatten

Open chokes are best when decoying as i use 1/4 and 1/4 in a 26" 20 bore,

When flighting or roost shooting i tend to use 1/2 & 3/4 again with a 20 bore but with a 30" barrel as it holds a better pattern at a longer range.

Really?..............

• 4 weeks later...

Got to agree with "anser2"....i find more and more i prefer to use a 26" side by side with cylinder and 1/4 28g 7's....i get better results as it can be difficult managing a 28 or 30" barrel and moving it on to a target you have only 2 secs to pull thro on...i leave the long birds which i have pricked in the past and concentrate on the ones that flick thro from your blind side and ones that are moving quick infront....obviously there are going to be days when everything is to far out for me,

regards

ditchman ..(back from the dead)

Too much choke in a gun whilst decoying is a real handicap, well for me anyway. I use cylinder and 1/4 in the O/U and a 1/4 in my S/A. It's a personal thing, a mate uses a Browning trap gun choked 3/4 and super full and he takes birds a longer way out often well before they have committed to the deeks. He leaves the really close birds and I very rarely shoot at anything over 40 yards out.

Edited by Whitebridges

Improved cylinder for every thing . After 50 years of shooting and in the early years not even knowing what choke was in my gun as i was told by the gun shop that it was half and full as stamped on the barrels . After several years of successful shooting with the gun and when i part exchanged it for another one it was found to be cylinder and improved . Had been bored out . Five chokes with my new beretta auto ,only one will ever be used . Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

1/2 choke in both barrels of the 32"687 or 32" mk70 for 90% of my shooting including pigeons, got an old remmy auto with a 30" full choke which used to be my hide gun, its getting a bit unreliable now but was deadly either stone dead or clean miss, most pointable gun ive ever had.

mikee

Guys just looking through your posts about chokes, I have to say this question is down to the individual I think, I use ¾ and full in my Berretta been shooting a lot of years and through those years I have tried different chokes but have settled on ¾ and full, however my mate can’t cope with tight chokes and like a lot of you uses ¼ and half. I think the answer to the question is if you are new to shooting and have a multi choke gun use ¼ and half for a while and see how you get on

Evening guys, just tinkering with my chokes.. Its been a while since I last shot as I lost contact with a shooting buddy because we both changed jobs/work etc, long story wont bore you.....and have noticed that i have either a choice of Full, Skeet or Improved Cylinder...... Whats the advice here for general rough shooting ? 1st barrel / 2nd barrel ?

Edited by Stamford

Evening guys, just tinkering with my chokes.. Its been a while since I last shot as I lost contact with a shooting buddy because we both changed jobs/work etc, long story wont bore you.....and have noticed that i have either a choice of Full, Skeet or Improved Cylinder...... Whats the advice here for general rough shooting ? 1st barrel / 2nd barrel ?

[/quote)

I think most say 1/4 first and 1/2 second