What is the best choke for pigeons?

Ean76

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting read as i have just changed mine. my scenario is i always shoot with 1/2 and 1/4" for everything - clays and pigeon. use hull soverign fibre 28g 7.5 for clay with as expected results and always use rottweill 32g 6's or g/b clear pigeon 32g no6 for pigeon shooting again always as expected results. the gun i use is a beretta 686 sporting 30inch barrell.

Couldn't get rotties or g/b carts a couple of weeks ago so bought 1000 eley hb 32g no6, but have found that i have been just pricking some birds which would normally have been a good clean kill. couldn't understand it so changed chokes to full and 3/4 as i was starting to dispair for two reasons being that i hate not killing quickly and also having to chase the bird accross the field to dispatch. since changing over the chokes all of the shots became a miss or a clean kill.

Now I have never done any patterning with chokes and/or cartridges as always believed, regardless what ya got or use you have to point and squirt it in the right direction. Now has anyone else experienced anything along these lines or am i just mad.

An old adage is ,the better the shot you are the tighter the choke you should use . Me, Improved cyclinder for every thing .

Harnser .

Spot on!! :lol:

Pointing it in the right direction helps, as for cartridges, after 40 years of shooting i've found ones that go BANG! are a definite plus.

Edited by JR1960

I'm still experimenting, but I have found that Skeet in bottom tube and quarter in top is working fine for me, over decoys, up to 35 yards-ish. That's 12-bore in 28in barrel.

But under the roost flightpath, where the birds are a lot higher, its quarter and half. The skeet choke was just too wide open for decent kills.

• 4 weeks later...