Dog, Rabbit, Puppies....

Jess

Ok, so, these dont have anything to do with shooting, but i thought they were kind of cute..

My Black Lab went out for a walk today. She only had puppies two weeks ago so hasn't been able to get out until now!!

Look what she managed to do, all on her own, without anyone having to shoot it for her!!! :D

post-11-1104684293.jpg

She did catch and kill it actually!! :D She chases them out of the hedges, has done since she was a pup!! She's very strange.

She had 6 puppies, 4 black and 2 chocolate. Show breeding, though both sides have a lot of working dogs in the pedigree. They'll be sold as pets though :angry:

Hmmm... nah, she doesnt bring things back... she kinda just takes them away and eats them! Or takes them to her puppies it seems... :lol: Very well trained, dont you think?

Oooh, you like how she folded it?! I think thats very clever, easier to carry!! Who needs a lurcher?! :lol:

Hmmm... nah, she doesnt bring things back... she kinda just takes them away and eats them! Or takes them to her puppies it seems... :lol: Very well trained, dont you think?

Oooh, you like how she folded it?! I think thats very clever, easier to carry!! Who needs a lurcher?! :lol:

Lol the postman dog

Jess,

you have some great looking dogs there, why you only selling them as pets as most Lab pets end up being big fat lazy things that dont do very much but eat.

A working home is going to benefit the dogs more, or is it......you just want them to live in a nice warm house unlike most working dogs.

I'm the same Jess if its for that reason, both my dogs live in the house, one a ESS and the other a lab-x rescue dog, its too cold at this time of year, :lol:

My two are softies but the ESS will work when she gets the chance, she loves it.

lads heres a question......does anyone's dogs do wheel spins with their feet when they get back from shooting. Mine goes crazy and runs on the spot for ages.

Must be the little thorns and stuff in the pads, any ideas on how to harden a dogs pads as mine are soft because they never get any contact with the roads or pavement?

Any ideas welcome.

The PM

We just want them to go to homes where they'll be spoiled and spend the cold winter nights lying infront of the fire like their mum does! :lol: And both the parents have lovely temperments so at least two of them are going to homes with children which i think will be nice for them.

We currently have three definately sold, all of which will be living out in the countryside, with one going to a very nice farm just down the road so they'll all be getting plenty of exercise, and maybe they'll learn to catch rabbits like their mum!lol

To be honest, they probably dont have the breeding for a working dog. On their mum's side there are a lot of working dogs, but with show breeding so they're quite big, chunky pups and as far as i've heard, thats not what you want in a working lab... I think they'll like their pet homes anyway... :lol:

Jess

Nothing wrong with a chunky lab. In my opinion they look much better than the whippet like lab strains of today used in field trials

I totally agree! :lol: But surely a whippet like lab is better as a working dog? :lol:

Not really. They are faster probably which is what field trials is all about.

But for brashing through thick cover and carrying geese back you cant beat a chunky lab IMO

From PM

lads heres a question......does anyone's dogs do wheel spins with their feet when they get back from shooting. Mine goes crazy and runs on the spot for ages.

Mine dont do it after a days shooting but just after they have cr@pped. Usually about 3ft from the aforementioned and covering me with grass & mud as I try to be a good citizen and pick it up. (Cos where I live its all public parks and no real open fields for the morning & evening walks).

As fore the little thorns and brambles the "pup" has a fine silky type coat and get a lot of them stuck in him. The old girl (now retired) has a real thick coat and didnt really get to many penatrating into the skin.

As for lieing in front of the fire they both love it just as much as I do, but they sleep outside in a kennel and live in the run when I am at work.

The "pup" (he's now 5) was a rescue dog and after training the old girl I thought I could do it no probs, but it took a long time to get the basics into him and I wouldn't ever take him on a formal shoot, like I could with the old girl. He is a bit of a brute but has done a water retrieve with a canada. He is a resonable dog for the ruff shooting I do.

Trev