Logun Penetrator.

BrowningB425

I asked a gun shop worker (Chambers in Nottingham) about these, and if they would be more accurate than my current Accupels, and he said, he didnt think so, they were just another gimmick to get people to spend more on their pellets, which many people were doing.

Of course, when £9 has been paid for a tin of pellets, you will rarely hear criticism of said pellets.

Alan.

I have tried them? in both my guns ie daystate x2 and weirauch hw100 neither liked them? both guns shot inconsistently with them went straight back to accupels!

the penetrators I tried were the 5.5 16 gr (.22)

cheers Keith

in .22 all of my guns hated them (aa s200, aa s410, mk1 rapid) the groups were 3" at 25yds when i can put aa fields through the same hole rested.

its a shame as they look very well made and consistant.

i want to try them in my .177 bsa as some people rate them, you are supposed to run them through a very clean barrel which is also a ****ter

I have tried them? in both my guns ie daystate x2 and weirauch hw100 neither liked them? both guns shot inconsistently with them went straight back to accupels!

the penetrators I tried were the 5.5 16 gr (.22)

cheers Keith

This may seem like a silly question (I seem to be full of these but please bear with the new boy!) but "How much does a pellet design affect accuracy?"

I am using WEBLEY HUSTLER .22 Needle point.

I have set the gun up and zeroed the scope in using these pellets.

When I am shooting at game I am using BISLEY PEST CONTROL Hollow point. (Flat front with the small ridge around the front edge)

Is the change in pellet going to affect the accuracy? Can I change between pellets without a problem. I am using the WEBLEYS for "plinking" as they are half the price.

The reaseon I am using the BISLEYS for live targets because I want to take the target out and avoid any wounding at all costs.

Thanks for any advice! :*)

Hello Snakebite,

the two pellets you are using will give totally different results, the Bisley is quite a heavy weight amongst pellets, and the Webley is more of an average weight, which will mean both pellets have a different trajectory. That is fine if you get good groups with both and can remember the different trajectories.

You don't say what rifle you are using, but generally speaking, pneumatics prefer heavier pellets and piston guns prefer the lighter ones. That does not mean one will perform badly in the other though, every gun has it's favourite pellet.

If you want a good pellet that performs well and is well made, Eley wasps are a good choice, they come in two sizes for English and Continental size barrels, and since Eley started making them they must have accounted for millions of small game and pests over the years. And they don't cost the earth for a tin of 500.

I have always found pointed pellets to have inconsistant points on them, and when I tried Bisley Pest Control (in 177), I had to throw a large number away in the tin as the cup was unevenly formed. Both of these will affect accuracy.

"Is the change in pellet going to affect the accuracy?"

Yes.

I use 2 different pellets now(Gamo Pro magnum and Crossman Accupel), both of which look very similar, but their Point of Impact average difference is around 2 inch.

Zero your rifle with one type of pellet, then put up a paper target, shoot off 10 pellets at that target with the that type of pellet.

Now replace the paper target and put 10 shots into the target with the other type of pellet.

You wil then see the difference between the 2 pellets. I've done this with 4 types of pellets in a row, and all of them hit a different part of the target.No doubt there are pellets that hit in around the same spot, but I havent come across them yet with my gun.

RWS H points were the worst when I did mine, some didnt even hit the paper target when the gun was zeroed for Accupells.

Alan.

They look like Paragons, I bought some of those to try in my .22 FX200. The results were comical, through the scope you could watch them corkscrew all the way to the target. It was so much fun I started shooting at the 60 yard target just to watch them, it was unbelievable. They looked as if they were spiralling down an invisible funnel :lol:

Yet the same pellets worked well in one of my Vulcan carbines and an ancient Meteor :lol:

I had different results with some of the self assembly ones they were doing, another Vulcan carbine loved them but nothing else did.

But one day, lead may be banned, so someone had better come up with one that works, or we'll all be shooting blanks :D

Logun penetrators are the same pellets as Exterminators and also in .20 marketed as Ben Taylors Eliminators.

They can be a bit barrel fussy either going extremely well or very very average. The .22 seem more so than .177. But in the right gun they work well.

I have used the .177 in an S400 and they worked extremely well. Tight groups. The .20 cals from Ben Taylor also peformed well in my Harrier X .20.

They dont suit every gun but are worth checking out. After all Tony De Cross won the 2003 UK HFT series using the .177 ones !

Regards

Tony

But one day, lead may be banned, so someone had better come up with one that works, or we'll all be shooting blanks :lol:

Logun Penetrators ... Exterminators etc... are lead...

Think your confusing them with Dynamics which look similar (a little longer) and are tin and pretty awfull at anything beyond 25 ~ 30 metres.

Tony

Can't comment on how good the Premiers are now, but they used to be the best thing since sliced bread..........and the other two are good choices too, if your rifle likes them. I will fly in the face of fashion here, but Eley Wasps are still good too, despite being an old design. I think they must keep their dies in really good condition.

Roundhead pellets are just about the best choice for hunting, they retain their energy longer than a flat head and at 12ftlbs hollow points don't expand much. The only hollow point I have ever used that was of any use was the H&N, but not many places seem to stock them. At closer ranges they do have their uses. Pointed pellets are seldom that good, if the point is slightly out of center the pellet will not fly true, and some even have a small 'nipple' of lead on the point itself, which can't help. Some of the newer, semi-pointed ones are good though, and though it's a bit on the heavy side for a spring gun the Barracuda/Magnum shape obviously works well.

The Barracuda was originally designed as a spring gun pellet, Weihrauch were doing some experiments into upping the power of the HW35, and needed a heavy pellet design to withstand the blast. The test gun actually had a cylinder on the side which contained another gas which was injected into the chamber to cause or help dieselling.....never caught on though, can't think why :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My HW 100 didnt like them at all,like other logun stuff they seem to be overpriced because of the name,I even bought a logun gun lamp and paid 16 quid for the filters the only thing the red filter was good for was making your accupels light up like tracers.I find the field target trophy pellets work best in the weihrauchs ,closely followed by accupels.

cheers..richie