Crayfish & eel trapping.

Nicky

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've eaten a few pest species in my time, I.E.= CRAYFISH, SQUIRREL, PIGEON, ROOK etc, it's the best thing to do with pests, EAT 'EM! That thought does make me wonder though, what would a Blair or Bush taste like? well, before you all jump on the bandwaggon, Yes, I HAVE tasted a Bush or two in my time and thinking about it, very few of them were pests, so save your trigger fingers for some other topic!

longnetter.

:sly::lol::lol::lol::D

Nicky

In the UK the White clawed crayfish Austropotamobius pallipes was formerly widespread, but populations are now confined to a diminishing number of areas. It is the only species of freshwater crayfish which is native to the UK. It is widespread in clean, calcareous streams, rivers and lakes in England and Wales and occurs in a few areas in Northern Ireland, but many populations have been lost since the 1970s.

This species is listed in Appendix III of the Bern Convention and Annexes II and V of the EC Habitats Directive. It is classed as Globally Threatened by IUCN/WCMC. It is protected under Schedule 5 of the Wildlife and countryside act in respect of taking from the wild and sale, and is proposed for addition to Schedule 5 of the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985.

Under this schedule the White clawed crayfish is protected only against taking from the wild and sale. It is ok however to catch the American signal crayfish an aggressive non native. But please do not re-release!!

Sorry if this sounds a bit dictatorial but it is important to clarify, to make sure you are within the law whilst enjoying your sport.I hope this clears things up a bit,. For the last year I have been undertaking research for notts university concerning mink another non-native ironically released into the wild by those lovely animal liberation folk who couldn’t possibly have realised what they were doing. Mink as well as the more aggressive signal crayfish have indeed contributed to the decline of this species as well as others.

Maybe after you have caught a few of the American ******* you can print a recipe for them in another section.

Regards Coney

• 2 weeks later...

We've got those blasted signal crayfish here in the Ouse and Tove rivers, they are easy enough to catch using a variety of methods. You can take the kids to a bridge and dangle a bit of fish on a hand line into the water and just pull them up. Better still if you have a drop net at the ready in case they let go before you can pull them right up. An old bicycle rim with mesh over it and baited in the centre with a bit of fish will do the trick as well. I've made up a couple of cylindrical wire mesh traps about 3 feet long and the same diameter as a big plastic colander. I cut the centre of the colander into fingers and bent them back to form spikes that face into the trap. Colander is cable tied to the mesh cylinder, bait put inside and the whole thing lobbed in the river (with a cord on it tied to the bank).

Catch loads like that but they are a bit more active in the warmer months than in winter. The populations can really take off and they've all but wiped out the indigenous crayfish population. In a local carp lake they have worked out how to pull down popped up boilies and you can forget deadbaiting for Pike !!.

Went to fetch my trap out one afternoon and as I pulled it out a spiiting, hissing mink shot out of the water behind it, I guerss it was swimming about looking at all the crays stuck in the trap and wondering how it was going to get it's teeth into them. Swam across the other side of the river and made a hell of a comotion till I picked up the trap and walked off.

The pond on the estate I live on has just been poisoned to rid it of the signal crayfish my old neighbour released. It's a bit of a state now but we're told everything else will return minus the crayfish.

One of the best baits for the crayfish traps is meant to be catfood.

Squint

pig%20pot%202.JPG

pig%20pot%202.JPG

this is a shot of my trap. i set it in the thames in oxford and use fish as bait. mackerel or sardines work well. chuck the trap in the margins and leave overnight. should get between 20-40 crays. put in enough bait coz the crays will stop coming when the bait runs out

happy yabbie fishing

pete

pig%20pot%202.JPG

pig%20pot%202.JPG

this is a shot of my trap. i set it in the thames in oxford and use fish as bait. mackerel or sardines work well. chuck the trap in the margins and leave overnight. should get between 20-40 crays. put in enough bait coz the crays will stop coming when the bait runs out

happy yabbie fishing

pete

Is this a "spot the differance"

vULCHA:

Is that trap store bought or home made? If store bought what is the price on them, and would you be willing to send a couple to Canada for me?

NTTF

Have you tried Cabellas for traps ? they are USA based and their stuff is so inexpensive I'm tempted to go out to the States for a couple of days just to buy new kit for myself and a few mates.

Old Rooster:

Have never seen them listed in a Cabelas , or Bass pro catalog. I realy like the style of the trap and would like to purchase a couple for use up at work. (stop laughing Ern, it really is work) I will look to the web sites for bot cabelas and bass pro and do a search to see if I can find any over here but I highly doubt it.

Thanks...NTTF