springer spaniel

dunganick

ive decided that i want to get a dog, problem is my dad isnt willing to pay as he cant see the point in getting one (not worth the struggle to to honest) so ive got to get one my self, my budget is aroudn the 200 mark, and i live in kent, i would obviously like as good a sire (sp) of dog as possible, but obviously cant expect too much for my low budget,

any idea's or help,

http://www.adtrader.co.uk

Allways loads of dogs on there and if you put in your post code it will tell you how far from you the dogs are..

There is allways some one letting a good young dog down some whare. The adult dogs or semi mature dogs tend to go for a fair bit less than pups. Could be a win win situation you get a dog at your price and some poor dog that is looking to be rehomed threw no fault of its own gets a good home.

Dave

Dunganick,

Are you aware of what sort of commitment these dogs are?

If you father isn’t keen on you having a dog then a ESS is going to drive him wild, they are a very active dog and don’t stay still for any length of time during the day.

You seem a young lad who is keen to get his first gundog but an ESS is a big challenge and could prove difficult for you with your papa’s views on the subject.

I got my first ESS this year and I think she’s magic but she takes about 2 hours of my time a day, feeding, cleaning, training and keeping her occupied so I hope you know what your getting yourself into mate.

If you do get one then I hope it’s a good one as they can be the best dogs to be had if you spend time with them.

Good luck but think about a steadier lab also before handing the cash over.

As for prices, I'm sure you will pick up a dog for 200 quid from someone.

The PM

ah i forgot to mention that my mum was a dog trainner and her mum was a behaviour trainer for most of her life, so the training side of things is not the most difficult bit at the moment......i also have the usual contact with other dog handlers in the area at my local shoots etc.... thanks anyway

this is also the reason i am after a spaniel, as my mum believes they are the best working breed, because of their lack of health issues, apart from possibly ears, and that from what i hear (correct or not) spaniels work better with the solo shooter, shooting on his own in woods, as labs tend to flush game too far away, where as spaniels work closer and flush more game in range.

i'm obviously a novice so please correct me, im keen to learn

ah i forgot to mention that my mum was a dog trainner and her mum was a behaviour trainer for most of her life, so the training side of things is not the most difficult bit at the moment......i also have the usual contact with other dog handlers in the area at my local shoots etc.... thanks anyway

this is also the reason i am after a spaniel, as my mum believes they are the best working breed, because of their lack of health issues, apart from possibly ears, and that from what i hear (correct or not) spaniels work better with the solo shooter, shooting on his own in woods, as labs tend to flush game too far away, where as spaniels work closer and flush more game in range.

i'm obviously a novice so please correct me, im keen to learn

You can train a lab to work as close to you as you want mate, or a cocker, or any dog for that matter

Nick

Try these 3, sometimes you can get one free if the people can not cope with them. as the lads say they are a handful, they will take up most of your time, keep looking on these sites they change daily. I have some others when I can find them.

Regards

TUC

http://www.admartuk.com/classifieds/html/english/pet.html

http://www.epupz.co.uk/search/results.asp?

breed=English+Springer+Spaniel&area=all&st=1&pn=1&rn=30&sortby=datecreated+DESC

http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk/

also try your local springer rescue.

AND DON,T TELL YOUR DAD I TOLD YOU :lol:

Nick...

I notice that you are only 16 not that I am saying you are immature in any way or not capable of looking after a dog properly, but over the next few years you will be leaving school if you havent already, looking to perhaps continue further education, or even map out career for yourself. And then there are the dreaded "she species" that come along and consume all your passion, spare time and cash.

I am not trying to put you off but do you really, really think in all honesty that you can devote the necessary time to a Gundog, particularly a Springer Spaniel. I have two spaniels which take up a good deal of my time and if your Dad is not over keen now he will be even less so if any of the above events occur.

I suggest you think long and hard about it and consider also the expense of keeping a Gundog, you will find I am sure that an active Springer will have several expensive trips to the Vets in its life time, its an occupational hazzard I'm afraid !

If you can honestly say that you can devote the time and money to the dog then a Springer would be a good companion as would a Cocker or a Lab. Each has its own merits and devotees which have been discussed at length on previous topics.

Each are also very adaptable and if your situation should change will make good house dogs. Yes Springers are Boisterous but they do benefit from being around people and are extremely loyal dogs.

As for working Close to the gun well as Millomite said earlier its something the dog can be trained to do Though I have found in my experience that Springers will pick this up naturally perhaps more than other breeds. My Springer although young never ventures more than 25 to 30 yards from me in the field, where as my cocker, although obedient, will sometimes be 75 plus yards away which is not a lot of use.

Have a good long think about the commitment you have to make to the dog and try look at it from his viewpoint rather than your own before you make a final decision.

FM.

yeh, this has been what i have been thinking, but i think its such a more rewarding use of my money, and by far the best way of improving my sport, not to mention all the enjoyment that comes out of looking after animals, that im certain that i want to get one.

anyway, thankyou all for your sensible and helpful responses, and if anyone does have any other information that you feel might help me, please do post it

many thanks,