Dog insurance

David BASC

Easy dont tell them you were working it

you were just walking it

the fact you were with 12 of your pall all carying guns is neither here nor there!!

Dave

Any one of your pals shoots it and it ends up at the vets, police involved as its a shooting so you have to tell them what happened then what do you say to the insurers?

thanks for the heads up with pet-insure. i will change next time around.

Phil

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one of your pals shoots it and it ends up at the vets, police involved as its a shooting so you have to tell them what happened then what do you say to the insurers?

thanks for the heads up with pet-insure. i will change next time around.

Phil

the thing is though vets get dogs that have been shot occasionally and mostly they have disapeared hunting and come back peppered by a keeper with 6's so its not that hard to explain, plus if your dog gets shot you want to change your shooting companions. I've never seen or heard of it happening in 20 years on driven shoots.

huntinglass has a pretty valid point 3rd party aside and that should be on your house insurance. If you are a sensible and realistic owner then you probably are better off putting it into an account I've not done so but have thought about it, so far I've paid £300 in two years to petplan for no return and ok its there as security but I'd be getting quite a good sized pot together. In my case its probably silly not to do so as i have a vet in the family ok not local so any emergency would have to be dealt with by another vet.

If you are prepared to say no to over the top treatment and put an animal down before paying out a few K for an op then its probably worthwhile, lets face it vets bills and treatments have moved on a long way to the point where people are paying out some frankly massive amounts to keep pets going that never would have been done in the past. I can think of locally a woman who paid 5k to have chemotherapy done on a 14 year old cat and a few other similarly ridiculous things where i'd almost think they were guilty of cruelty to the animal for putting it through it.

What you'll also find is vets bills seem to adjust downwards if the animal isn't insured, I've a friend who when quoted £1200 to pin a dogs leg said put it down as I can't afford it then the quote came down to a little under £500 certainly not right but vets know how much insurers will pay out for certain procedures. Which sort of puts in perspective how much the insurer is going to try and trip you up with working dogs exclusions when they can't even sort out blatant over charging by vets but then its the same in the whole insurance game one price for through insurance and another totally different one for if you aren't insured