1.5%

Mungler

I have just read this as well,

They also said that they expect the BoE to reduce it again in december by another 0.5% and the "experts " predict it to be as low as 1.5% by mid 2009.

Mind you if they are the same "Experts" who said we are not in any bother at all then I won't hold my breath.

What do you reckon the prospect of getting a 5 year fixed rate at anywhere between 2 and 3 % even if they slash the rates again? Hmmmm :good:

I always thought interest rates would creep up because of inflation but it appears the inflation index has been sufficiently "re-jigged" so as to show low inflation and to allow for further rate cuts to keep some life in the economy.

Good news for some so far,

Lloyds TSB announced it was passing on the full 1.5% cut in interest rates to its variable rate mortgage customers. The group, which also lends under the Cheltenham & Gloucester brand, is reducing its standard variable mortgage rate (SVR) from 6.5% to 5% from November 1.

But other lenders were slower to respond, with all of the major groups, including the UK's biggest lender Halifax, saying their rates were under review.

BJ.

What do you reckon the prospect of getting a 5 year fixed rate at anywhere between 2 and 3 % even if they slash the rates again? Hmmmm :good:

Snowball in hell?

Mung old chap, could you check your PM's please? Sent you a note ref 'Pirbright' on 15th November - there's a gueat list and I need to confirm names very soon.

Cheers

I always thought interest rates would creep up because of inflation but it appears the inflation index has been sufficiently "re-jigged" so as to show low inflation and to allow for further rate cuts to keep some life in the economy.

the main driving points of Inflation are slowing though. Oil has nosedived, food prices are going the same way so it gives them leeway.

I'm on the **** tonight every .25% drop is worth £90 a month to me so its fantastic news. Banks are going to be milking it in with fixed rates that high, but the big news of them not passing it on only applies to the banks Standard Variable Rate and you have to be in trouble to be on it really. So glad I ignored all advice and got a lifetime tracker last time round so I haven't got to look for a new deal though I have no exit fees to pay if I decide to go that route in the future.

the main driving points of Inflation are slowing though. Oil has nosedived, food prices are going the same way so it gives them leeway.

I'm on the **** tonight every .25% drop is worth £90 a month to me so its fantastic news. Banks are going to be milking it in with fixed rates that high, but the big news of them not passing it on only applies to the banks Standard Variable Rate and you have to be in trouble to be on it really. So glad I ignored all advice and got a lifetime tracker last time round so I haven't got to look for a new deal though I have no exit fees to pay if I decide to go that route in the future.

VOTE:

What's better?

Interest rate coming down or the zip on al4x's avatar coming down :good: :good: :good::):yahoo:

Good news for some so far,

Lloyds TSB announced it was passing on the full 1.5% cut in interest rates to its variable rate mortgage customers. The group, which also lends under the Cheltenham & Gloucester brand, is reducing its standard variable mortgage rate (SVR) from 6.5% to 5% from November 1.

BJ.

Bloody hell, that would be good news for me, my national debt is with the C & G.

They did pass on the full 0.5% last time, so I hope they do again. We could do with a bit of leeway on ours, it's getting a bit of a struggle :good:

Edited by Chard

wheres the by election thats going on?

Glenrothes. Labour defending a 10,000 majority against the SNP.

They threw £2.8 billion at the Crewe by-election (10 tax fiasco). I wonder how much they're willing to bribe us for a general election win?

Oh, I forgot, the Bank of England are independent now :good:

The banks can't pass all this on to borrowers. It will cause savers to remove their money that the banks need badly

Edited by Gully

I think the only ones who will benefit are those currently on trackers. Anyone coming to the end of a deal (6mths to go) should have booked a deal. Too late now.

Rates will probably mirror that of USA and we could go to 2% quite easily by middle of next year, chief economist of Abbey agrees with me :yes: or is that the other way round.

The only problem with falling rates is that 2 of the biggest lenders which account for almost 50% of previous lending have reminded people that they always had conditions in their contracts that they will not go below 3% and 3.5% and as LIBOR has increased we are likely to see an increase in rates for new borrowers.Sorry LIBOR FELL 0.11857% to 5.56125% the rate at which banks lend to each other.

Anyone on trackers and life time trackers are now in the best position and strangely people looking a new deal may find that going on to the lenders SVR may be the only choice but may not be all that un competitive.

Obviously this all depends on individual circumstances and expectations.

Edited by Ballymac