an interesting sight

Jay

today I saw a sparrohawk attack one of my decoys, I had mounted a shot pigeon on my flapper, a sparrowhawk flew down and actually sat on the pigeons back and started to peck at the pigeons head. over the years I've had several encounters with birds of prey but this was one of the best

les.

Last Feb whilst out on a rape field i dropped a high right to left crosser which dropped unseen in the wheat field next door. The dog marked it,sent the dog to pick it up, through the hedge she went and came back minus the pigeon. I sent her back again and she still wouldn't pick the bird.

I stood up to see why & there was a female spar scrapping with the pricked pigeon. She left her prize as i exited the hide for a better look but the flapping pigeon was too much of a temptation for her and she was straight back on it.

The dog has been used for falconry & hawking all her life so she knew not to approach a bird when on a kill.

I had my camera and took a couple of piccies at a distance of her.

I dispatched the pigeon and left it to see if she wasn't tempted but hung around for while.

Didn't stop me shooting 47 pigeons & 2 rooks.

Just posted the piccies in the photo section.

I was shooting on the blind side of a hill from a wood overlooking a rape field a couple of years ago,I was setting up all the{full bodied plastic} decoys and was in a hurry to set up the last couple,and had used a broken hacksaw blade that I found in the car to hold it in the ground.

After about a hour I saw a buzzard a couple of times,and it dissapeared again after about another 10 mins I noticed movement and turned just in time to see the buzzard about 300mm above the ground coming over the brow of the hill, it hit the first decoy it came to, which happened to be the one with the hacksaw blade,

The decoy shot across the field like a cork from a bottle and the buzzard was left with a slightly ****** off look about it, it then procceeded to fly off.

I have had a Sparrowhawk take a full bodied plastic decoy when I was shooting on barley stubbles a few years ago, this one (a female) actually lifted the deek 2 feet off the ground then dropped it and flew off.

How about this then.

Out shooting on stubble again, I had one come head on, dropped it right in the pattern and thought it was dead, did not bother to pick it straight away as it was on it's belly and there was more birds about. About half an hour later decided to tidy up the pattern and saw this pigeon was in fact still alive, picked it up to finish it off and saw it had laid an EGG, it was still warm and by it's appearance it clearly had just been laid (I keep racing pigeons so know what a new laid pigeon egg looks like). My mate Brian who was with me at the time took the egg and gave it to a neighbour who had some garden fantails and they hatched it off, don't know what became of it though. Strange but entirely true.

• 4 weeks later...