carp rod, pike rod

jimdfish

I am turning into a tackle tart.

One of the nicest things I bought over Xmas was an Okuma centerpin. 70 quid and it runs true and like a dream. I am using it for carp margin fishing. roll on doubles on a pin. You will not get the quality for half the price anywhere

Jim

As has been said already, there is usually no difference.

But, the pike rods often have a stiffer action, through the upper three quarters of the blank.

Although they have the same test curve ratings, this allows them to cast heavier weights (dead baits usually).

I have carp rods in 1.5 and 2.5 tc, but my pike rods (Leeda Predators, not expensive, last forever) are 3.0 tc. :lol:

AS Cranfield says Carp rods usually have a lighter test Curve between 1 3/4 Lb for snag free waters up to 23/4 Lb where you have to bully fish sometimes to clear them of reed beds and underwater hazzards.

Pike rods are usually stiffer action 21/2 to 31/2 test curve with a tip action to punch dead baits a long distance. The test curve is far too heavy in my opinion because 1lb for 1lb the carp puts up a better scrap.

I use a pair of 20 year old Abu Carbon carp rods for Carp and Pike fishing. They have been re-ringed and are by modern standards as thick as your thumb but the fish certainly dont know that they only cost about £40.00 each. My fishing companion who basically is not short of a few quid ( Rich and Single) has a pair of £400 carp rods but I usually fish the pants of him. My biggest carp to date on 12 lb line is 33lb 4oz and pike on the same rod and 15lb line 28lb 7 oz.

A decent 21/2 lb test curve carp rod will do just fine and dandy for pike fishing and light sea work from the beach rocks or pier.

I am not tight but I have never seen it necessary to spend a fortune on Fishing Tackle and Abu are amongst my favorite manufactures for good no nonsense value for money tackle.

• 2 weeks later...

Always like to make my own rods, usually on Terry Eustace blanks, caught most of my big pike on a pair of battered old fibreglass rods, 3 lb test curve 12 feet long. Did some experimentation a few years back and built some 13 foot 4lb test curve rods, boy did those things punch out half a mackerel !!!.

Did a lot of sodding about and to get over the electric boat ban on one lake made a remote controlled electric duck out of a decoy. My son and I nearly wet ourselves when we took it to Willen lake for it's maiden voyage, sat back on a bench with it romping along just out from the bank when a woman with her kid turned up to feed the ducks. For some reason she couldn't make out why my duck wouldn't eat the bread she was chucking, in the end she was hurling it at the poor little thing, it was after all the only duck in sight I suppose. That duck helped me catch a good many pike I wouldn't otherwise have reached. It's in a sorry state now cos I never did get it fully waterproof. Worked on 2 channel radio, one for steering and one to operate the bait release clip which slipped through the swivel just above the trace.

Was sending a deadbait out one day and thought something had snagged up only to realise that the duck was going backwards, with no reverse gear !!. Mr. Pike had grabbed the bait on it's way out. I guess we could have set it up for trolling deabaits with a bit of thought.

The only reason for using the larger test curve rods, is because you are casting a far heavier bait for pike, than carp.

Lake pike can be very disappointing fighters, but river pike are a whole different ball game. :oops:

old rooster, a friend of mine made a bait boat, from a cheap model boat kit, rather than pay shop price for the real thing.

If he costed the time it took to make it, it would have amounted to £1000's.

On its maiden voyage it performed quite well, until it was attacked by a pair of swans that thought it was coming too close to their cygnets.

I'm afraid it sunk with all hands. :lol:

The only reason for using the larger test curve rods, is because you are casting a far heavier bait for pike, than carp.

Lake pike can be very disappointing fighters, but river pike are a whole different ball game. :lol:

old rooster, a friend of mine made a bait boat, from a cheap model boat kit, rather than pay shop price for the real thing.

If he costed the time it took to make it, it would have amounted to £1000's.

On its maiden voyage it performed quite well, until it was attacked by a pair of swans that thought it was coming too close to their cygnets.

I'm afraid it sunk with all hands. ;)

We made the big rods for setting the hooks at long range as well as punching out big deadbaits, we tend to use braid a lot when distance fishing as it doesn't stretch very much and puts you into direct contact with the fish.

You should try some of those Irish lough pike if you want some good fighters, they've got tails like shovels as I'm sure they travel quite a lot following shoals of prey fish. They come in fairly quietly until they see the boat then go absolutely bonkers. We go for them in late Spring so they aren't full of spawn, still get good catches of big fish and so many are in immaculate condition.

If your mate's boat was big enough to have "hands" he might as well have bought a "Sportyak" and be done with it :D:) :(

Edited by old rooster