NPPC members who travel....a fair old way

McKenzo

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to the world of pigeon decoying although I have been shooting (mainly clays) on and off for several years.

I'm considering joining the NPPC as I don't have any land of my own and feel that this could be a good starting point for a novice. However, my concern is that I live in Manchester and although i'm within reasonable driving distance of some of the land in terms of a day out, I'm too far away to conduct any reconnaissance before hand. After reading a couple of books on the subject of decoying I now realise and understand the importance of prior reconnaissance to drastically improve your chances of success....******.

My question is, are there any NPPC members out there in the same boat? If so, do you just go in 'blind' so to speak and hope for this best? Do you still have any luck or am I wasting my money joining up? Also, do you get any 'tip offs' from the farmers relayed to you by Mr Shooter as to which areas are attracting the pigeons at a given time?

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Cheers guys

hello mate, im not in the NPPC but i am in a simmilar situation. i'm from cardiff but living and working in cirencester through the week. the only shooting permission i have is in cardiff so have to ''go in blind'' every weekend. big bags are un-heard off around my area, if you get 30 pigeons you've had an awesome day out. but i have regularly shot around 15-20 just by turning up, doing 30 mins reconnaissance and trying different things with the patteren,/wind ect if nothing comes in. if its your only option i'd say join up. you can still have a good day shooting.

hey up mate

im in nppc an have been for the last 3yrs, im outa yorkshire all week an book my field on a friday night for saturday,

if you ask john (mr shooter) he will give you a couple of fields in one area to check out, so your odds are better,

im happy we getting out we me old lab an see what takes off, after visiting regular area,s you can get an idea of the pigeon movements.

if you deside to join i will keep in touch an pass u up dates on activeties

all the best whatever you choose matety.

moxy

I'm in a similar position, while i live in Co. Durham i'm on the northern border with Tyne & Wear so the nearest field to me is a fair drive away. Only been out on NPPC land 2 times since i joined in April, one 'blind' and one where i had a look two days before but i've had good days on both occasions. Need to get off my **** and find something closer by though! :lol: