Smoking out Rabbits

pigeon controller

I've been asked to ferret a old bomb crater in the centre of a rape field which the rabbits are grazing it down to the ground. Last year the farmer lost half an acre of wheat to the same rabbits.

I longnetted the dell last year but the ferrets killed underground and I tried to dig then out but the ground is full of old fencing wire,scrap machinery etc. Ihad to leave them overnight and temp them out in the morming with a freshly gutted rabbit. I do not want to put ferrets in the dell this year.

I've had two ideas one is to longnet the dell and run a chain saw engine minus the blade and try and smoke them out into the net or put red diesel down the holes and try the get them to move to other berries that I can ferret.

Has anbody tried this before and will it work???

Or has anbody got any ideas other than sitting out allnight and trying to shoot them.

Pigeon Controller

I have never had much luck smoking rabbits out, mainly because the earths are too big and the earth absorbs the smoke.

The best bet seems to be to move the rabbits, which I have done by pushing diesel soaked rags down the holes and then a few days later filling all the holes in (this does let you know if they have come back).

If you were able to contact a Pest Control Officer, they might be able to gas the area for you.

This is an ideal situation for stinking out the rabbits. Get yourself a bucket and collect as many pine cones as you can. We used to use creosote but as that is no longer available use diesel instead, soak the pinecones overnight in the diesel then stick them down the holes. Try to get them as deep into the warren as you can. There will be no rabbits left in the warren the next day.

I have used this in the past with varying results. Some warrens the rabbits never returned to that year, others they were back in there within 2 weeks. So it is not a guaranteed method but can be effective especially if the rabbits have other warrens available close to the existing one.

If I was going to try to clear those rabbits I would long net it in the night first, then stink out the remaining rabbits and follow it up ferreting all the warrens nearest to the crater within the next few days after stinking them out.

TC

Try stinking them out as described above then later sending the ferrets through to ensure the burrows are clear - then to finish off - blast the warren to hell with a RODENATOR it colapses the burrows so the poor little bunnies have no home to go back to...

See link for info:

http://www.rodenator.eu/

Edited by Newsportshooter

Try stinking them out as described above then later sending the ferrets through to ensure the burrows are clear - then to finish off - blast the warren to hell with a RODENATOR it colapses the burrows so the poor little bunnies have no home to go back to...

See link for info:

http://www.rodenator.eu/

HE SED HE DONT WEANT TO FERRET IT?:welcomeani:?:hmm:?:D?:lol:?:crazy:?:cry1:?:cry1: